How to import share prices CSVs

MirkoMirko Alumni Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Accounts Personal Range
1.    Before you start we suggest you backup your datafile: File > Backup

2.    Create a folder on your C Drive called SPD (for share price download)
  • Browse to your C drive.
  • Right click on your mouse and create a new folder.
  • Once file is created right click on it and select rename.
  • Rename the folder to something easy. We recommend SPD. If you chose a different name, please make sure in all future steps you replace SPD with your chosen folder name.
3.    Make a backup of your datafile: File > Backup

4.    Download the share price data and save to your C:\SPD folder.

a.    Click on each link to download the share prices for those days; b.    For options prices, click on these further links: 5.    Open Reckon Accounts Personal and import these files:

a.    Using the top menu options, Investing > Portfolio > File > File Import > Import Prices

b.    In the Import Price Data window, in the File field, type in the full path of the first share price data file:

i.    For example:   C:\SPD\20150710.csv

ii.    If you saved the file to your Desktop then the full path will be C:\Users\Your windows username\Desktop\20150710.csv

c.    In the Date field, enter the first date:  10/07/2015. - This is vital. You can only import one day/file at a time.

d.    Click OK to import the share prices

c.    If you track Options, repeat the same with the Options file.

6.    Repeat Step 5 with the next dates/import files.

Comments

• Wally HunterWally Hunter Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2015
    That worked OK except the share prices file for the 16/7/2015 had a reverse file name i.e 16072015.csv.
  • Andrea GrayAndrea Gray Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2015
    How do I do the import with Home and Business 2015? Also gives an error on 20150716.CSV.
    edited July 2015
    Hi Andrea,

Check the file name is correct, please see my post above.
  • Peter MarshallPeter Marshall Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2018
    There are two Share Price files for 16/07/2015. Which one do we use?
    edited July 2015
    There is no option:  Investing > Portfolio > File > File Import > Import Prices in this version. 
    edited July 2015
    I mean in Home and Business 2015.
    edited July 2015
    Please respond.
    edited July 2015
    Hi Andrea,

If you follow the steps above:

b.    In the Import Price Data window, in the File field, type in the full path of the first share price data file:

i.    For example:   C:\SPD\20150710.csv

I had to change the file name to C:\SPD\16072015.csv instead of C:\SPD\20150716.csv

Hope that helps

edited July 2015
    Don't worry have spoken to someone. 
  • MirkoMirko Alumni Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Good spot Peter! Updated to remove incorrect file.
  • MichopMichop Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2017
    What a silly idea to not include "Browse" function for every file operation.
    edited July 2015
    I agree - unnecessarily time-consuming to type it in each time.
  • John EvansJohn Evans Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    Write a replyThere is no option:  Investing > Portfolio > File > File Import > Import Prices in my version Personal Plus 2015
  • MichopMichop Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2015
    You actually put Reckon into Portfolio view and then use the "normal" File menu. The instructions seem to have extra ">".
    edited November 2015
    Where are Friday's files? Are you going to put these up?
  • MirkoMirko Alumni Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Hi Andrea, Friday the 17th should be available via the one step download. :)
  • John CampbellJohn Campbell Member Posts: 239 ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    The US version of QPP does support Browse. For some reason Reckon Aust took over the Australian users and then stopped any improvements.
  • DaleDale Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    That all worked fine. Just copy the file name and path into notepad, then copy it into the import box and change the last digit and the date picker. The data appears to be a partial solution. The files are only for closing price. Where is the high, low and volume figures? Is there another file format for the full set of data please?
  • Andrew DowlingAndrew Dowling Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2015
    One step download not working for me ... 
  • fpilotfpilot Member Posts: 13

From the top post: Using the top menu options, Investing > Portfolio > File > File Import > Import Prices

My Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2019 doesn't have the option of "File" after "Portfolio". Has it been removed or am I missing something?

• RavRav Administrator Posts: 9,785 Administrator

@fpilot

Check out my screenshot below taken from my 2019 installation.

• fpilotfpilot Member Posts: 13

Thanks yet again for your help Rav.

• John CampbellJohn Campbell Member Posts: 239 ✭✭

I don't know why this thread has been given a new life ?

One strong recommendation would be to get better .csv files than those linked above in this thread.

Two points:

1) first review the .csv files and only use company codes that are in your .qph database. Quicken may create entries for the other codes, which would not be helpful (there are 41,178 records in the file I looked at)

2) there are two formats for .csv files. The one provided is only code, price, date. There is also another format, which should be documented in other threads and I would recomend looking for that.

Many trading sources (eg comsec) can provide .csv files with more information, eg code,date, open, high, low, close, volume. I would suggest getting these and applying a filter for only the codes you require. This can be easily done using vlookup in excel and having a list of (active) codes from your quicken database. Then convert to the Quicken required format.

I hope this helps for those who require share price updates.