Issued a refund cheque from the Adjustment Note but the tax amount is still showing credit

Options
Kerrie H
Kerrie H Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
edited January 2018 in Accounts Hosted
We raised an adjustment note for a part refund for a customer ($1,200), which has a gst amount of $109.09.  We then issued a refund cheque from the adjustment note for the full amount ($1,200), however this customer is still showing a credit available of $109.09.  Why hasn't this cleared?  

Comments

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Kerrie

First thought is that the adjustment note was not set to be a GST line so the entire 12000 adjustment was gross/nett of gst (ie: no gst at all).?  That could explain the outcome,  but if you're convinced that there is redcing amount of $109.90 in the GST payable liability account as a result of the adjustment note, then this becomes curious.  Can you check the gst/fre status of he adjustment note?

Gary Pope
    m: 0408994799 
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac...
    "Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
    independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant"
  • Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant
    Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant Accredited Partner Posts: 468 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Kerrie,

Have a look at the refund cheque itself.

In the line allocated to Accounts Receivable check to see if the GST/NCG tax code has been added.

The GST portion has already been dealt with in the Adjustment Note, so shouldn't be in the cheque too.

That would clear out the correct balance as the amount less GST is now what has been allocated to Accounts Receivable.

Kind regards,

Sally McIntosh (sally@samsolutions.com.au)
  • Kerrie H
    Kerrie H Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thank you Sally, I had to delete the refund cheque and re-issue it to close it off.  All good now.
  • MM_7769277
    MM_7769277 Member Posts: 115
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi Sally,

I just went looking for the exact same problem and found this thread. Your solution worked for me too! You saved me a lot of hair tearing!

Regards
    MM