Re-parent jobs logged under duplicate customer record

MM_7769277
MM_7769277 Member Posts: 115
edited April 2017 in Accounts Hosted
Hi, we are using Reckon Accounts Hosted 2015 R2.

I am cleaning up some duplicate customer records created by the previous admin. There is a customer called 'ABC' and a second one called 'ABC 1'. I am trying to move all the jobs from ABC 1 over to ABC, and most have been successful, except for three where the following error message pops up:

"You have received payments for this job's invoices from customer 'ABC 1'. As a result, you cannot move or reparent this job to a different customer. This restriction is in place to keep your customer balances accurate."

How can I fix this?

Comments

• Glynis_7724867
    Glynis_7724867 Member Posts: 14
    edited September 2015
    Dear MM
    If you go into the customer file and re-name the ABC as ABC1. The system will then tell you that ABC1 already exists and ask you if you want to merge the files.

Good Luck
    GB
  • MM_7769277
    MM_7769277 Member Posts: 115
    edited January 2017
    Glynis, thank you so much for your prompt reply! I just tried that and it is now saying:

"This name is already in use and cannot be merged. Names with subnames cannot be merged.

What does it mean by subnames??
  • Alex Tan
    Alex Tan Member Posts: 83
    edited March 2016
    Hi MM,

You may be able to move the job to a different customer by firstly - unapplying/deleting the money received via the Accounts Receivable account in the Chart of Accounts. You'd then be able to move the job to a new customer and then go to receive money for it again.

It is right for our software to do this as it looks like money has already been received for the job and would affect the balance total if moved.

Please try the above and let me know how you go!

Kind regards,
    Alex
  • Mereki
    Mereki Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2016
    Hi Glynis,
    Did you end up fixing this issue?  I am interested as we have a generic 'cash sale' customer set up for people who may only visit once, but I want to pick through some of the customers who have come back and set them up separately now.  I know I can't move the invoices with payments against them easily, as the payments will still belong to 'cash sale' customer, and am just trying to imagine a way around this before I start on dozens of entries....
    Did you 'unapply/delete' the money received following Alex's instructions, and did this work?  I'm not sure this means go in to the chart of accounts view and just delete the line... surely we would then need to recreate the payment and re-reconcile the relevant bank account to even this out again?
    Any advice you have (or Alex if you're available!) would be much appreciated.
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi Mereki,

Thanks for asking.

Alex's description above is still the only way to go for shifting some transactions out of their generic Customer to their own customer listing.

Be mindful that you may be changing transactions that form part of a completed, reported period, and will involve unreconciling bank transactions that will have to be redone.

Suggest you set time aside to do all the changes in one session.  
    Make a backup before you start.
    Verify your company file, and if errors found continue with a Rebuild.  Do not proceed until all errors have been corrected.

Take a printout of your last Bank Reconciliation report.  
    Take a printout of transactions you want to move.  
    Print out a Trial Balance.  

If required, unlock past periods.

Create new customer records
    Delete the payments to the invoices you want to move.  
    Reassign to the invoices to the new customer
    Receive payments for these invoices, keeping the original details.

Now check that a Trial Balance is the same as your printed Trial Balance.  if there are differences then investigate and correct.

Do a special bank reconciliation to bring all transactions to their reconciled state before you started.  

Hope this helps.

regards,
    John