Having Read only access to Reckon File

Sian Williams
Sian Williams Member Posts: 2
edited February 2017 in Accounts Hosted
I have a Reckon backup file that I need to have read only access to. Previously I viewed it through someone elses hosted site. 
How much would it cost to have access to Reckon to continue viewing this file? I only need to view it not make any additions.

Comments

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    Sian

I'd encourage you to call SALES  1300 650 061  about this.  But my guess is, that you'd still need a full licence.   The trial versions of software only run a few times (I think: 5).

When you mentioned 'HOSTED",  did you mean the hosted product: Reckon Accounts Hosted, that resides at the Amazon data centre in Sydney?   If so,  that is a pay by the month service, and is otherwise based on the long time desktop Enterprise package which is an expensive way to consider read-only,   although the file may be backwards compatible to a smaller product like Reckon Accounts Premier.  That all depends on the number of 'names' in the database.

Anyway, without knowing the exact product you are referring to,  we are possibly getting off the track here.

Gary

Gary Pope
    m: 0408994799 
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac...
    "Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
         independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant"

• Sian Williams
    Sian Williams Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2017
    Hi Gary,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

The version in question is Reckon Accounts Enterprise: 2015.

At one point I was accessing it through another persons hosted log in but that isn't available anymore. 

It sounds like best place is to give their sales team a call.

Cheers
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Sian

I'm still a little confused by you using the HOSTED word.  By comparison,  Reckon Accounts Enterprise is a private (usually inhouse) desktop / local server product that businesses tend to use inhouse on their own equipment.  

Yes, it is possible for people to rent their own data centre space and put say WIndows Server 2012 thereon, and provide remote access for the staff.  In a sense, that is the old fashioned 'hosting' methodology of using somebody elses's server.

It is coincidental, that RECKON AUSTRALIA have a product called "Reckon Accounts Hosted".   It is in fact a subtle variation to their 30 year old Enterprise product, that has a BROWSER front end interface for access over the internet by users,  and the whole lot is run in a rented (hosted) data centre facility at Amazon in Sydney.

So, the use of the English word, and technical term "hosting' or 'hosted'  can take on a subtle difference of meaning when there just happens to be a proprietary product which has a similar sounding name:  "Reckon Accounts Hosted".

Please clarify which of these three products you had access to:

a)  Some remote access (RDP/Terminal Services) access to your colleagues OWN SERVER at their premises,  

OR

b)  A stock standard WIndows Server plus Reckon Accounts Enterprise,  environment,  that your colleague has chosen to deploy at some private HOSTING location like say: Microsoft Azure for instance (an external commercial DATA CENTRE)

OR

c)  The 2-3 year old "Reckon Accounts Hosted" product (Which is browser based,  Enterprise underneath, and controlled and provided as a software as a service at Amazon in Sydney under the guise of Reckon.

The eligibility for access, and the USER ID that you'd need, would differ for  (c)  versus  (a) or (b).

Gary
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Spoke to the Community member, and this turns out to be a one-off need to access a QBW file, and suggested a trial copy be fetched for the purpose.

Gary