Importing a Custom Template from Accounts 2014 to Accounts 2015

Options
Jeff Schwisow_7927964
Jeff Schwisow_7927964 Member Posts: 3
edited February 2017 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
This is more relating a problem which I feel there is no problem for that searching for an answer - just to provide some sense of resolution to those that are searching for an answer (no matter how sad that resolution might be). I have just upgraded from Accounts 2014 to Accounts 2015. Unfortunately, the custom invoice template I created in 2014 do not come in with the rest of my data. I contacted technical support and they acknowledged that the customisations do not transfer during the upgrade. They walked me through the process of exporting the custom template out of 2014 and importing it into 2015. However, when I actually try to create an invoice using this template, none of the attributes of the old template have been imported. The fonts are different, the headings are different, the columns are different, nothing...

Therefore, unless one of the power users in the community has better information than I received from technical support, you should plan on having to re-build any custom templates when you go through the 2014 to 2015 upgrade process.

Comments

• Jeff Schwisow_7927964
    Jeff Schwisow_7927964 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I did some additional digging on the issue and found a post that I didn't see in my original search. As it turns out, this is a known issue and a technical service bulletin has been written as a work around: http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=5259

It's a bit fiddly, but is considerably less work that redoing my templates. I hope this helps folks in a similar situation. Perhaps Reckon will even share it with their technical services support team!
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Jeff

What's happened here, is that the process of upgrading hasn't been followed.  There is a good reason for the default templates to be kept original in any version - in fact of any product.  They are provided as a guideline, example, starting point for people to develop their own tailored personalised templates,  and the important thing is that such newly made templates be given a personalised unique NAME.   

When a new version of the product is released,  there may be enhancements, say extra fileds,  that need to be demonstrated,  giving users the opportunity to see what they're about, and to incorporate them further into their desired templates. 

If you modify the originals (the default, provided custom templates) then you forever lose the ability to see what they were, originally provided by the author of the product.

IE:  Take an ORDER template.  This can be copied and made into a REQUEST FOR TENDER, leaving the pricing off.    At the same time,  <your company ORDER>  could be a copy of the original template, enahnced with all manner of terms and conditions you want to invoke.   But you always should keep the originals in tact, so that some new business need for such templates can be built up from such originals.

When UPGRADE take place,  all templates get transferred,   (like your personalised ones),  but of course replacement DEFAULT CUSTOM TEMPLATES befitting the facilities of the NWER PRODUCT are the ones (only ones) you'd want to see in the newer product.  You then test and tidy up your own (transferred, specially named ones)  to further enhance with some of the new features/fields for instance.

Hope that gives a simplified overview of why things are done this way.   It's the same with pretty much any computer program that attempts to ship with examples,m demonstrations and initial templates, formats.  IE: Publishing software, word processing, spreadsheet, project management and CRM type products.

Gary Pope
    m: 0408994799
    e:  gaz@alchester.com.au 
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac...
    "Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
         independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant"