Error Code 20

Options
Stuart Dyer
Stuart Dyer Member Posts: 4
edited February 2017 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Hi,

We have few users who are on windows 10 Pro. When they try they print payslips they get error code 20.

We use reckon over a network with server with each user mapping to a network drive.

When I right click and run as administrator the users do not see their network drives are they are running the program as administrator.

What solution does reckon, reckon on this ? none of the solutions I have seem take into account a client server over network drive ?

Stuart

Comments

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Stuart

Let's clarify your position some more.  

a) users are on Win10 PRO

b) they are accessing a server for say Reckon Accounts PREMIER or perhaps ENTERPRISE??
        (I'm assuming one or the other),  and that would be a QBW file.

c) To access that target company file on a server,  such access is via a MAPPED drive?
         You mentioned that,  I realise,  but that mapped drive letter:  Is that the way you have the client program perform the FILE -->  OPEN  command, or is it via a \server-name\share-name ?

d)  YOu are very appropriately double-checking some other concern, that being the worry that when running the client program (Reckon Accounts Premier/or Enterprise)  that you "cannot see the mapped drive".   That implies you can't open the file in the first place,  which would be long before you are attempting a print operation request, I'd be thinking

So could you correct my understanding of the problem a little please.

Refer to:  https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/6-ways-to-gain-best-reckon-community-support-around-the-c...
    where we would like to know all the versions details.

Gary
  • Stuart Dyer
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi Gary,

Thank you for the reply

Windows 10 Pro
    Reckon Premier
    Users are going via a mapped drive via logon script
    User can log in without running as Administrator

The problem is when they are running as administrator the network drives as they are mapped do not come across as reckon is running as a different user to the original user the drives were mapped as.

Thanks
    Stuart
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Options
    So, Stuart,  the forum subject is throwing me off the trail here.    
    a) do you or did you have an error -20  issue ?

b)  But trying to fix that error, using the 'run as administrator' methodology,  are you now saying you have a totally new problem, and that is:  
    "You can't open a company file that is on a SERVER (via a mapped drive approach) , when you are running Win10 as 'administrator" ?

so,  putting this together.....

I appreciate you still might have problem (a),  but in attempting to resolve that,  you're left with problem (b).   And therefore,  you'd love to find a solution to problem (a) that does not leave you with problem (b).    Is that the issue here?
    (and your conclusion is, that all reference to 'fixes' for (a), have failed to take into account, a multi-user SERVER scenario like yours - is that the concern?)

SUGGESTION:

When you try to OPEN a COMPANY file, from the login screen of Reckon Accounts,
    can you 'look in'  (or browse) to a NETWORK machine (via it's broadcast HOSTNAME - ie:  the name of your local server), and then within THAT,  drill down to the SHARENAME of the folder that is in fact the area that would normally be the MAPPED DRIVE LETTER?   In other words, turn a blind eye to the fact that you see no mapped drive letters,  but go to the source of what that would be anyway,

This will help uncover if there is some permissions/security aspect of your local area network that is causing your DOMAIN LOGIN versus your 'run as administrator'  credentials to be hiding that valuable mapped drive reseource you seek.

Gary

Gary Pope
    m: 0408994799 
    e:  gaz@alchester.com.au
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac...
    "Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
         independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant"
  • Stuart Dyer
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi Gary,

Users get an error when sending payslips of error code 20. The fix suggested by reckon is to run as administrator until a new version is released with full windows 10 support.

Works fine if your not on a domian network with mapped network drives. Yes one option is to manually point reckon to the share via the network name another option is to allow network drives to be accessed from an elevated or run as administrator via a regedit hack.

I will try the regedit and let everyone know, if not I will take your suggestion and point to the share manually.

Thanks
    Stuart
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Stuart

Perhaps you could confirm if the REGEDIT process you're attempting,  is the same (or not) to the following, and share it here for the benefit of others who have shifted to Win 10, whilst running software released prior to 29th July 2015.

This regedit issue might be worth mentioning in more detail.  I've observed a number of products having the same issue with Win 10.  here's a couple of examples to demonstrate the common practice to see MAPPED DRIVES under Win10 in a server environment.   It is a workaround, and is a security contradiction, so be aware of that, when considering this approach.  Be mindful that this is only being considered because of the compatibility issues of dealing with applications that pre-date latest operating systems.

a)  http://community.myob.com/t5/Installing-and-upgrading/Windows-8-1-mapped-network-Drive-Issue/td-p/29...
    (message #4)

b)  http://community.myob.com/t5/Installing-and-upgrading/Accountright-basics-and-Windows-10/td-p/354945
    (message #5)

c)  IThe above approach is actually calling upon a very old Microsoft knowledgebase suggestion at:   https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee844140(v=ws.10).aspx

Compatibility between legacy dated applications and recent operating systems that have shifted the methodology of permissions and User Access Control processes, is what this is all about.

For anyone landing on this forum page,  we'd like to draw attention to this 'compatibility' aspect, in an article we've shared at:
    http://blog.reckon.com/accredited-partner-interview-advice-for-solving-community-support-queries

Cheers!

Gary

• Stuart Dyer
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the posits, i'm going to try enabled linked EnableLinkedConnections and get back to this post.

Thanks

Stuart