can't open company file in 2010/11

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
My computer blew up recently and I was using 2010/11 Plus.  I have 2010/11 small business on a laptop and I am unable to open the company file in the laptop program, it tells me its a different version etc.  Are these two versions completely different?  Its only very basic accounting that its used for not payroll or bas.  Should I just install the Plus version on the laptop? or is there something else I can try.  I'd rather not have two versions on the same computer if possible.  Thanks for any help

Comments

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Nikki

a couple of curiosities with your question

1.  Why do you have two different products in the fist place, on those two computers?

2.  Just clarify the exact name of the surviving one.   Fire it up  and do a HELP -->  About <product name>   or perhaps a  CTL + 1   command to get the full name of the product,   I'm wondering if it is the personal range product called:  "Home and Business"

Depending on the intent, going forward, yo may want to just get the one favoured product up and running that matches the lost product - provided you have adequate backups.    

Gary
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thanks Gary.  I have two products as one was my personal business one and the other is owned by a club that I do books for.  I was doing the club stuff on my own computer as well as it was just easier on one computer.  The club program is on the club laptop which I am now having to use as my computer is dead. 
    I will do the check in number 2 tonight.  The box says small business.
    Thank you
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi Nikki.  This sound a bit like the message you will get when one file has been updated on its "home" computer with say new tax scales, but the program on the other computer has not had the updates applied.  If you tended not to use the Club computer, it is quite possible that you may never have updated the program for subsequent updates.  Have a look and see whether or not the Club computer has the latest updates on it.  Should this be the case, that it hasn't been updated and you then happen to apply updates on that computer which were later than those on your home computer, the next thing that would happen is that the program will tell you that you need to update the file.  This is a far better outcome than the one that you have at the present.  John L G
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Nikki

- to be honest, I'm confused by this.  The product range that was made available in Australia by Reckon Australia, for 2010-11 when the product was still called Quickbooks (but I refer to the Australian version),  comprised the following 6 releases:

ie:  Reckon AUSTRALIA, released these 6 products for 'business' users
    Quickbooks Easystart,  Accounting,  Plus,  Pro,  Premier and Enterprise.
    (The name changed to Reckon Accounts in 2013).

Interesting, when I look at the following year, 2011-12, (which I just happen to have on an old WIn7 box here) , the Australian version, and click on HELP -->  ABOUT,  it does come up with the

'Welcome to Quickbooks Accounting: Small Business Edition 2011-12.

Granted, it mentions those words you are saying on the end,  but the 2nd word just before the colon,  is what distinguishes the particular sub-product you are running. Typing:    CTL + 1   will also display this level of detail when a company DATA file is opened (even if it is just the sample company)

But the KEY WORD there is "Accounting.  ie:  it is the SECOND name of those 6 mentioned above.

My point is,  that data files that are for one of the 6,   (and at the R1,, R2 tax table level related to them )  may not open up in a smaller/lesser version of the product.

Anyway,  try the HELP -->  About    option on the surviving laptop,  to get to the bottom of this, so we know what product you are in fact running.

(Sorry for the walk down memory lane!)

Gary

• [Deleted User]
    edited February 2016
    Options

Thank you both for your help.  I will check tonight to see which is which and let you know.  Cheers
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2016
    Options
    the club version is accounting 2010/11.  How do I know if it has been updated?
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Use CTL + 1     to bring up the screen that shows the exact product name, year, revision and patch level.  Such as:  R1   or R2   on the end.  R2 means a tax table update has occured.   R3 or higher means, in rare times that a further patch release was delivered.

Gary
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2016
    Options
    R1 is the only one

• gazza73
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Nikki

1)  put a copy of the main DATA file to one side so that it remains UNTOUCHED with the level (version) that it is.

2)   you have now worked out that you have RA Accounting 2010/11  R1  on the "club' laptop

3)  The original computer was running RA  Plus 2010/11  with no knowledge of it being R1 or R2.

4)  And you are trying to read a DATA file from (3)  on a machine with (2).

5)   So,  I'm left with one of two possibilities to suggest.  
          a)  perhaps the PLUS machine was upgraded to R2
               and the data file is no longer compatible with R1 on the CLUB laptop

b) OR:  the database in "PLUS" format is not compatible with "Accounting" format.

So long as you try this on a COPY of the file, in which case it can be wasted as a TEST,  try putting the important file from (3)  into a test folder with a test name,, and upgrade it through to R2.

But frankly, the error message would normally look different to the way you explain it,  if such an approach were to be possible.  

I think this needs to be elevated to a proper consultation with remote access to get to the bottom of this.   The feedback and clues are not clear enough to judge a solution over this level of exchange.

Gary