Entering start position from P & L Statement

Options
Michael O'Keeffe_8052620
Michael O'Keeffe_8052620 Member Posts: 4
edited August 2016 in Reckon One
I have taken over as a treasurer for a non-profit. They used Quicken, and have simply given me a P & L summary up to the date I took over. I have entered the amount that was in the bank at that time, however how do I enter Income and Expenses start positions up to that point?

For example we have collected $XXXXX amount in Membership Fees up until that point. These have been reconciled by the previous treasurer, however when I am required to do a report at the end of the financial year I will need this figure shown. 

Any help much appreciated. 

Comments

• Annette_8052353
    Annette_8052353 Member Posts: 21
    edited February 2016
    Options
    When you open a new company in reckon make sure you use the first day of the financial year as your start date.
    Process a general journal dating it the last day the bank account was reconciled (day before you took over). 
    Enter all balances to the bank (dr/cr), income (cr) and expenses (dr) lines.  Make sure that if there are any outstanding cheques or deposits to the bank account on the last bank reconciliation you reduce the relevant lines so you can process them again (for reconciling purposes) dated the same date as your general journal.  Then you will be able to see them on your "tick" list when you reconcile.  You may want to do this on a spreadsheet first.
    The remaining amount on the general journal can be entered as "retained earnings" (dr/cr).
    This will give you a complete Profit & Loss report at the end of the year.

• Michael O'Keeffe_8052620
    Michael O'Keeffe_8052620 Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks so much!  Worked perfectly!