Why have US share prices stopped updating on Personal plus 2015?

Dave RHDave RH Member Posts: 5

Comments

• gazza73gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 1,432 ✭✭
    edited February 2017
  • RavRav Administrator Posts: 9,799 Administrator
    edited February 2017
    Hi guys,
    Checking in with the team around this, will come back to you shortly.

Cheers
    Rav
  • David HyndDavid Hynd Member Posts: 26
    edited June 2016
    US stock and indices not updating since May 27 2016
    edited February 2017
    Hi guys,
    Thank you for your reports on this, the team are investigating.

I'll update you with more info as soon as I can.

Thanks
    Rav
    edited December 2016
    Hi Dave,

The Dev team are continuing their investigation on the cause of the issue. Hope to have a further update to share today.

Thanks
    Rav
  • robin.adairrobin.adair Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2016
    Hi Rav,

I have also just noticed that my US Shares prices have failed to update since 27 May.  The ability to monitor my US Share Portfolio is the main reason I chose Reckon.  Will you put out some sort of bulletin/email when this problem has been fixed?

Cheers

Robin
    edited February 2017
    Dave  and Robin

What exact Anti-Virus programs are each of you r running.

Gary
  • Dave RHDave RH Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2016
    I'm using Norton 360 and have been for years without any problem.
    edited February 2017
    Just checking that's all./  We've recently spent about 30 hours consulting a client on this issue only to discover that a recent update of firewall definitions  with a 3rd party anti-virus, anti-malware, email protection and firewall tool,  set a rule to BLOCK the incoming information from the website that Reckon get's their currency and security information from.  Once we fathomed that issue out - life was fine again!     Sometimes the ENVIRONMENT around the tools you are running, can set b;blockages and restrictions you don't normally focus on.  In his situation,  an update that arrived,  caused the issue.   And I' in the middle of documenting all this when I see you two gents suffering a similar SYMPTOM.   

I'm in the process of discussing the findings and back tracking to the November 2015 outage and the return to action before Easter,  BUT in the middle of that external issue, the AV program introduced a SECONDARY cause of blocking.

Gary

edited February 2017
    Narky One

Your answer:  Yes:  Win7 Pro with PP2016 updates Currency OK tonight at 19:12PM Sunday 5th June 2016.

The trick to LOOK FOR   is when you do the UPDATE, is to see if you get a screen result that shows a DATE and TIME of actually fetching the data.  Not just asking for it, but getting it.  IE:  there is the OUTBOUND request that needs to reach the source of where rates come from.   PLUS the ability to receive the answer (the latest rates)  back in again.  That evidence is the date stamp at the top of this example tonight.

So, back to the ENVIRONMENT issues that are causing some, not all people to experience the issue like Diver Dave and Robin please.....

WE've been independely looking at:
    - McAfee, Nortons,  Kapersky, ABG-free, AVG-Professional, Bit-defencder (tba),  MS Defender, Webroot, Cyren,  and a number of legacy anti-XXXX (malware, virus as well as auxillary firewalls) that are IN ADDITION to the native operating system's OWN firewall ruleset,  to try and identify the SHAPE of the data that is tripping up the 'trusting' of data in EITHER direction.  That's a lot of combinations, I can assure you, and explains part of my not being very active on this forum  since April conference.   We've been keen to really get to the bottom of issues like this,  to nbroaden the thinking about what causes issues .

What started as a total outage around Nov 2015, and took ages to resolve was one thing.  But amidst everyone's attempting to seek solutions, many have introduced other variables.  But alongside of THAT,  there are other changes like system updates for patches, and new versions of anti-xxxx/firewall products that try to determine whether some program (liek PP20165 or PP206)  is a valid request to the internet (along with replies coming into your PC as a result - which pass through these tools).

I asked a simple question tonight, to two users who are having difficulties, to determine if perhaps they fall into the same predicament that we've now solved for this article,  but want to seek out others before suggesting it is an isolated example of PC maintenance gone awry.

ref:  https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/one-step-update-refuses-to-work?topic-reply-list[settings...

TEST:  Change the US rate to a ridiculous figure like $2.00 and then prove it changes with an UPDATE.

**BUT*** Back to the topic question about the OLDER version:  PP2015.

What first needs to be determined is whether the PP2015 version works at all, as Narky stated,  and whether it works on the same operating system environment (ie: not just  the operating system itself.

Gary

Gary Pope
    m: 0408994799 
    e:  [email protected]
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac...
    "Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
         independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant"
    edited February 2017

Now to test WIn10 with PP2016 as well..     **WORKS**

(yes this is the LATEST version,  but we want to see if that works anyway,  and also seek clarification about differences if any to older PP2015)

1.  change the $US currency to say $A2.00  to be sure we start with something different
    2.  run the update to the Currency
    3.   confirm the result was properly set to $US0.73664  =  $A1

tests OK.  Here's the three screens showing steps 1,2,3.
    NOTE:  We're just focusing on the CURRENCIES update from the QTL + Q   screen for this article.  That is why the results show that 35 currencies are being updated at 5/6/2016 7:47PM   on the top of the SECOND screen short below.

Gary

edited February 2017
    Hi Gary , Tried that , currency update works. I am using Windows 7 & have personal plus 2015 R1.
    edited February 2017
    All points well  taken, Dave - I agree, we should be  talking JUST:  US Share prices not working.

But I just wanted to clarify some of the combinations that last time raised confusion between currency, stocks which country, which version of the program and on what system environment.

To avoid too much personal information being display, I was using currency as the demonstration in the first instance.....

IN recent times, I was using 'any downloads'  as the research here,  because the 3rd party firewall issue I raised was affecting ALL downloads.  ie:  PP2016 uses Internet Explorer v11 inside of PP2016,  and when the firewall issue was the cause,  it prevented:
    a)  any ability to do online activation from WITHIN the product
    b)  no ability to perform a TICKET LOOKUP
    c)  no currencies could be downloaded
    d)  no stocks  (US or AUS) could be downloaded.

Anyway,  I'll look to testing 'just US STOCKS on all these combinations for this article now.   The answer may lie in ascertaining what specific WEBSITE/service is being attempted to obtain the information, whether that service is responding,  and also, whether the replies from that service are permitted back into the PC running the PP2016 program.

I raised an email to PSG over the weekend, again, seeking to clarify what was the reason for the NOV-Pre-Easter outage last time, to see if there are any parallels in debugging this.

Gary
    edited June 2016
    Can we expect an update from the dev team anytime soon?  Surely by now someone has figured at the very least where the process fails. 
    edited February 2017
    Hi folks, apologies for the delay, I'll have an update for you all from the Dev team later today which I'll share on this thread.

Cheers
    Rav
    edited February 2017
    Debugging.....  (FYI)

Yes, US STOCK prices fail to arrive, but it would appear the request does reach the WAN to 103.241.101.213 at Reckon.

Tracing the request for US pricing using qfn/stockrq.   Win7PRO + PP2016 seeking Google USA stock pricing,   We can see PP2016 raise the request to IP: 103.241.101.213   with a 1655 character payload in Quicken Financial News  qfn/stockrq  MIME-format.  (**Frame #6 on wireshart trace).   Refer page 22 of spec at:  https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&a...

We also observe a duplicate acknolwegement to frame #6  in the next frame that occurs.  But thereafter,  no data is forthcoming.

Frame 6 is sent successfully with a result of "200 OK"  (seen in green at end of frame's line.)

Checking where this request went to,  we observe IP:  103.241.101.213  is at this location:

[email protected]:~$ whois 103.241.101.213% [whois.apnic.net]
    % Whois data copyright terms    http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

% Information related to '103.241.100.0 - 103.241.103.255'

inetnum:        103.241.100.0 - 103.241.103.255
    netname:        RECKONLIMITED-AU
    descr:          Reckon Limited
    descr:          Level 12, 65 Berry Street
    descr:          North Sydney NSW 2060
    admin-c:        RLA4-AP
    tech-c:         RLA4-AP
    mnt-by:         APNIC-HM
    mnt-lower:      MAINT-RECKONLIMITED-AU
    mnt-routes:     MAINT-RECKONLIMITED-AU
    mnt-irt:        IRT-RECKONLIMITED-AU
    remarks:        --------------------------------------------------------
    remarks:        To report network abuse, please contact mnt-irt
    remarks:        For troubleshooting, please contact tech-c and admin-c
    remarks:        Report invalid contact via www.apnic.net/invalidcontact
    remarks:        --------------------------------------------------------
    changed:        [email protected] 20130830
    source:         APNIC

irt:            IRT-RECKONLIMITED-AU
    address:        Level 12, 65 Berry Street, North Sydney NSW 2060
    e-mail:         [email protected]
    abuse-mailbox:  [email protected]
    auth:           # Filtered
    mnt-by:         MAINT-RECKONLIMITED-AU
    changed:        [email protected] 20130829

role:           Reckon Limited administrator
    address:        Level 12, 65 Berry Street, North Sydney NSW 2060
    phone:          +61295775000
    fax-no:         +61295775000
    e-mail:         [email protected]
    nic-hdl:        RLA4-AP
    mnt-by:         MAINT-RECKONLIMITED-AU
    changed:        [email protected] 20130829

% This query was served by the APNIC Whois Service version 1.69.1-APNICv1r7-SNAPSHOT (WHOIS4)

[email protected]:~$ 

Last price for test stock:  GOOGLE USA  was Wed 25/5/2016, as declared by users on this conversation.

Gary

edited February 2017
    Hi everyone,

I've had a further chat with our Product Development team in regard to this issue today. The cause of the issue has been found and the point of origin is at the data source. It is no longer available to us for reasons beyond our control.

The Development team are working on securing an alternate solution but this will not be a quick fix and may require a code change to be delivered in Personal Plus 2017.

So the overall decision on the viability to deliver this functionality is still to be determined and I will update you all on this as soon as possible.

I can understand this may not be the news you were all looking for and I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience and frustration this is causing.

Investigation is continuing and I will update this thread with more information as soon as I can.

I can fully appreciate this is not the perfect solution however in the interim, a potential workaround is to manually input the US share prices using the 5 steps outlined below.
    1. On the Investing tab, click on your portfolio and left click the share
    2. In the Transaction History right click and select Price History;
    3. Click on new and fill in the details (minimum entry is Date and Price);
    4. Click OK to save;
    5. Close Price History window by clicking on X in the top right corner.
    edited June 2016
    Hi Rav

"Not the news we are looking for" is a massive understatement, hopefully you are not going to make us purchase a new version to get this facility back.

You can update the prices manually by left clicking the price on your portfolio page and entering the current price.
    edited June 2016
    Rav 

I think we deserve to know how this situation has been arrived at.

I'm assuming the supply of price and indices by your data provider is under a contractual arrangement.  Did Reckon chose not to renew the contract or did the data provider advise the supply of data would end on the 27th of May? In either case when was this decision communicated by Reckon or to Reckon?  

The answer of course will determine whether Reckon had forewarning of the cessation of data provision and had planned accordingly.  Clearly no planning has been done so far and the apparent lack of awareness by the product team means that there maybe a critical lack of communication within Reckon itself.  

It is very reminiscent of the situation in 2008 when the ASX split the data file containing index and price data.  Again it was only when the failure of ASX indices to download did the product team supposedly learn about the ASX changes. This was despite the ASX notifying Reckon months ahead of the changes.  Since that time we have never had ASX indices available despite Reckon having the indices data available as part of their data contract.

Given that eight years has passed with no development effort made to fix this you'd have to wonder whether we'll end up with no fix for the US price and indices data.

There is no reason of course why this problem can't be fixed in 2016 unless Reckon either doesn't have the resources or is unwilling to fund the development.  

In my view it's totally unacceptable for this issue to surface in the way that it has and I suggest that unless we get pretty vocal about it nothing will happen, ever.

David
    edited June 2016
    Contractually price data is only available for two years from the date of license activation.  So Reckon should patch 2014, 2015 and 2016 in my opinion.

David