I get an error message is ' The file you specified cannot be opened. etc. How do I get rid of it?

Joy Jensen
Joy Jensen Member Posts: 1
While using my Reckon software, I get an error message each time I want to print, email etc. The message is ' The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or read only file. It takes several attempts to make it disappear. How can I correct this situation?

Comments

• Andrew Christie
    Andrew Christie Member Posts: 149
    edited September 2019
    Dear Joy

This problem has surfaced before.

From prior messages it appears that the print file 'qbprint.qbp' is the culprit.

Follow the recommendations in this message:
    https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/printing-error-message-the-file-you-specified-cannot-be-o...

Knowledge article: Warning: The file you specified cannot be opened. The Windows error is: The file exists

Depending on your version of Reckon you should find the file in either:

c:\program data\intuit\Reckon Accounts 2019

or...

C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Reckon Accounts 2018

regards

Andrew

• Andrea Nichole Hughes Hipworth
    Andrea Nichole Hughes Hipworth Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2020
    I am having the same problem.  I have to close the error message six times before I can print, email or make PDF, but I could never find the file as mentioned above, but if I search the computer with QBPrint.QBR, I then find it and  I have deleted that file many times, and now it has gone, and I still have the problem,  I don't know how else to fix it, and it is driving me crazy

• Andrew Christie
    edited April 2020
    Hi Andrea, did you also delete the wpr.ini file as mentioned in the earlier post?
    edited April 2020
    Yes I did, I found the first couple times I deleted them, when I searched again it found them again, as there were two recovery files, so I deleted them as well, still not good

• Andrew Christie
    edited April 2020
    Yes, the program re-creates them when it is re-opened.

Did you have a go at this (same thread) ...

"When you find the QBPRINT file, rather than delete it, right click and go to Properties/Security and set permissions for the "User" or "Everyone" to match the "System" and it fixes it up.  It is located as stated above c:\programdata\intuit\ReckonAccounts 2019.  Bev Brickwood"
    edited April 2020
    no as now that I have deleted the recovery files and both the QBPrint.QBR and the Wpr.ini files they have gone completely, but it still gives me the error when I press print, email or save as PDF

edited April 2020
    when searching that location as above, no matter what year I put in it is not there either

• Andrew Christie
    edited April 2020
    Hmmm.

WPR.INI Should be at location : C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config

(https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/data-recovery-how-to-find-qbprint-qbp-or-wpr-ini)

Unfortunately I cannot help with the location of QBPRINT as it is not on my PC

Please pardon me for asking: After deleting the files did you complete a complete shutdown and restart (not a restart)?

regards
    Andrew

See if these posts help if still an issue
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=qbprint.qbp+location+windows+10&form=WNSGPH&qs=AS&cvid=563...

edited April 2020
    I did do just a restart, but when I put in the location you put above, it says not found, as I said I click print it will bring the error box up and hitting the OK button, it will bring it up again twice more then open the print box then when I press print it opens up the error box three more times again, but it will print.  as for the email, it will open the error box twice, then open an email page, as well as save to PDF.  Sorry I am not helping much, but it is driving me crazy,

• Andrew Christie
    edited April 2020
    Do have 'view hidden files' switched on in file explorer. Might be the answer to not seeing the file/s ??

I take it you have no printing issues with any other program?

Even so perhaps you could run the printer troubleshooter. Windows Key > Settings (cog) > Update and Security > Troubleshoot > Get up and running > Printer (Windows 10 menu path)