STP Nil Pay

Denis DwyerDenis Dwyer Member Posts: 1
edited August 22 in Single Touch Payroll App
I am trying to submit a nil pay on RECKON STP mobile app - the "Continue to Submit" button remains greyed

Comments

• RavRav Administrator Posts: 10,933 Administrator
    edited August 22
    Hi Denis,
    You cannot submit a payrun without a balance associated to it. 
  • ChrisChris Member Posts: 4
    edited August 21
    Rav,  this is an issue for micro companies that don't always pay salaries to directors and family members.  Is there an intention to remedy this glitch so that reporting obligations can be met for zero payruns?

Chris ([email protected])
  • PlatinumPlatinum Member Posts: 75
    edited August 21
    Hi Denis, Chris, The notion of a reporting requirement for a zero payrun intrigues me. I’m not an expert but by my thinking: - if a company pays employees intermittently, their STP submissions match that intermittent cycle. - a payrun can have any date range, one might be 3 months and the next might be 3 days - not every employee needs to be listed on every STP submission - the key requirement is to send STP submission on same day as payment. - if no amount has been paid, there is no payrun to send - the app not processing a zero submission seems more of a failsafe than a glitch.
    edited August 21
    Hi Platinum, 

Thanks for your prompt response.  As I understand it, the STP reporting obligation is not linked to the details being reported.  My concern is that if a zero payment is not reported it could be inferred that the reporting obligation is not being complied with.  In my situation, the reporting entity pays salaries only once a year but has a monthly reporting obligation so that 11 of the 12 monthly reports are for zero payments. 

If there is no fix in sight, can you suggest a suitable workaround?

Chris
  • PlatinumPlatinum Member Posts: 75
    edited August 21
    I understand a monthly IAS reporting obligation, but not a monthly STP reporting obligation?
    edited August 21
    OK, then I'll do some more checking.
    edited August 22
    The ATO doesn't specifically prescribe an STP reporting frequency but the reasonable inference seems to be that the reporting obligation only arises when an employee is paid something for which tax has been withheld.  So it seems zero payruns don't need to be reported.

Anyway, I've now seen that the deadline for closely held companies to begin reporting has been extended to July 2021 because of Rona so no need for me to begin reporting yet.

Thanks again for your contribution, Platinum.