STP double up of salary at ato

RJFRJF Member Posts: 5

Hi,

I paid a salary of $1,500 for first month of using stp and it was correctly recorded against my company portal account for stp reporting, but when I checked my personal account, it was showing salary $3,000.

The ato are telling me to do an update event, but that will not solve the problem, As my stp software is correct, and my company stp account at the ato is also correct. it seems that the ato have transferred an incorrect amount within their system, or have duplicated a file. Has anyone had this problem ?

Comments

• Joseph LiJoseph Li Member Posts: 343

The initial YTD gross wage is probably $1500. If App Pay Summary shows gross wage $3000 then App Pay Summary needs to be corrected. Use negative update event to reduce App Pay Summary figures. Business Portal would not show App initial YTD figures.

• RavRav Administrator Posts: 10,942 Administrator

@RJF

As @Joseph Li has mentioned above, its likely that you entered an initial YTD balance for the employee(s) when they were first created in the STP app.

You can verify this by opening a EOFY 2020/21 report (if this balance is for the current 2020/21 year) in the app. You'll see a line called 'Initial YTD gross pay/tax/super' etc. (See my screenshot example below).

Any balances listed here are what was entered for the employee when they were first created and are sent to the ATO. Please do not send the EOFY 2020/21 report, I'm just suggesting to view it so you can see where the balances might have come from so once you've viewed it, close it and delete it.

I'll link a guide below which outlines how to create an Update Event -

• RJFRJF Member Posts: 5

Hi Rav,

Many thanks for your help - much appreciated.

My STP YTD is now showing the correct figures, as is my company STP reporting at the portal, as is our mygov accounts for the individuals. I notice on the ATO for the individual's accounts that the date is showing YTD July 2020 which is the date of the pay run I was adjusting - this should be YTD September. So do I just do another update event with a positive to cancel the previous one for July, and then another update event with a negative to show September YTD ?

• RoiseRoise Member Posts: 3

Hi Rav,

I made the same mistake entered an initial YTD balance for the employee(s) when they were first created in the STP app. That's why her statement is double. I created hers pay run since September 2020, so I only need to adjust it when it comes to 30/6/2021 for the EFOY report, isn't it?

Thanks

• Joseph LiJoseph Li Member Posts: 343

@RJF

Update event updates YTD totals so date does not matter as long as it falls within the right year.

• RJFRJF Member Posts: 5

Hi Rav,

All fixed now and STP on mygov is showing YTD September 2020 and not July 2020. The reason I amended this is because I did an update event for the July pays, and when checking the STP on mygov it was showing YTD July $4,500 when in fact it should have been YTD September (3 months at $1,500). So it appeared that I had paid $4,500 in salaries in July 2020 with nil tax deducted, and that would mean a deduction for a salary without deducting the correct tax would be disallowed. Better to fix early than wait until 30/6/2021 and raise possible queries from the ATO.