Can't amend FY20 payroll

DanePymbleDanePymble Member Posts: 8
edited November 16 in Single Touch Payroll App

Hi

I followed the help instructions to edit a pay run which I had accidently duplicated, which is thus reporting an incorrect FY20 income amount.

Help says to select "Edit Pay run" but that option is not there for me, only "Duplicate" or "Cancel". All cancel does is take me out of that pay run, it doesn't delete it.

Accountant can't complete my personal return (My company is a sole director company that I pay myself a salary out of) until I can update the payroll summary.

Comments

• RavRav Administrator Posts: 9,785 Administrator

Hi @DanePymble

Can I just confirm, are you using the free STP app OR the Reckon Payroll App (paid)?

• DanePymbleDanePymble Member Posts: 8

Hi Rav, the free app.

Cheers

Dane

edited November 16

Cool thanks, I think the instructions you might have seen before were for the Payroll app. To update/amend balances in the free STP app, you need to create an Update Event in the app.

Here's the process I'd recommend you go through in order to get your FY2019/20 balances right.

The first thing you need to do is ensure you have the latest version of the app installed (currently v1.13.5), check your app store for any available updates.

Next, go into your EOFY2019/20 report in the app and note down the figures its showing for each employee. If they are incorrect, which it sounds like they are based on what you've mentioned, then go out of the EOFY report and create an Update Event in the app for each required employee to bring their balances in line with what they should be reality.

Example: if the Pay Summary section in the app is showing $5000.00 gross pay for employee John Smith whereas in reality it should only be $3000.00 then the Update Event you create for John Smith is -$2000.00 gross pay.

IMPORANT: Because you are making corrections to balances in the 2019/20 financial year, then the date you enter into your Update Event will be 30 June 2020, or some other date in the previous financial year. You don't have to scroll all the way back to July 2019, just enter any date in the previous FY in the Update Event.

I'll link a help guide here which explains in full detail on how to use an Update Event to make corrections to your employee balances.

Once you have done the necessary corrections, go back into the EOFY 2019/20 report and you will notice the figures are now correct there. 

Send through the EOFY finalisation. When you do, the EOFY Report will OVERWRITE any and all balances that the ATO received PRIOR to that. This way you know that you're sending through the full & final correct YTD figures for each employee.

The EOFY process is outlined in this help guide. Please refer to it -

Thanks that all worked but when i go to redo the end of financial year (Fy19/20) report the pre-popuated amounts don't change.

Did you go back into the same EOFY report you opened initially at the start of the process? If so, then the figures in that one won't change. Apologies, reading back my response above did say to go back into the existing one. Instead, delete that first one and create a NEW EOFY 2019/20 report after you've corrected the balances. This new EOFY Report will show the newly updated balances and provided they all look ok then it should be ready to go.

No, I actually created it as a new EOFY 19/20 report but the amounts haven't changed. NB it doesn't let me delete previous EOFY reports

That sounds odd. Was your Update Event that you sent to amend your balances dated 30 June 2020 or some other date in the previous 2019/20 financial year?

In regard to deleting a previous EOFY report, you should be able to (see my screenshot below) provided its in 'Draft' status ONLY. Any submissions that have already been sent cannot be deleted for any reason.

Yep sorry, I was confused by what you were saying. I was trying to delete one that had already been submitted so noted I can't do that. I can see how I can delete drafts. The negative amendment amount I put through was dated 1/6/20. It has been approved by the ATO but has not changed the FY19/20 numbers. Even logged out and logged back in, still no change

To further clarify, when I say it hasn't changed the FY20 numbers, it hasn't changed even when I go to do a new EOFY 19/20 report

Hmm ok that's interesting and certainly not the expected/usual behaviour. The Update Event should have amended/changed the 2019/20 pay summary balance by the figure(s) you entered into it. So when you open a new EOFY2019/20 report now (after the Update Event), and view the full breakdown for the employee its still not accurate in the sense that its not reflecting what your balances should be in reality, correct?

Do you have any balances listed in the 'Initial YTD Gross Pay/Tax Withheld/Super' lines in the EOFY report? This is any paid balances entered for an employee when they were first created in the app and a common one to trip up on.

You mentioned in your OP that you had duplicated a pay run submission previously, was that the only correction you needed/expected to make to your balance?

Hi Rav

Yes you are correct, thanks for that. There is an Initial YTD Gross pay/tax withheld & super amount.

Here is what it currently says with the figure in bold what it needs to be. Are you able to advise the steps to get it to that position?

Gross pay $114,166.66

+inital YTD gross pay $5,000

Fy 20 Gross Supposed to Be $94,166

Tax withheld $31,387

+initial ytd tax withheld $1023

Fy 20 Tax withheld Supposed to Be $25,269

Super $14,347.94

+ytd super $475

Fy 20Super Supposed to Be $8,945.84

I also had a quick look at FY21 and it is overstating gross pay too. It looks as though even though I have set it for an FY20 date, it is capturing that the submitted date was in FY21 and is including it in the FY21 numbers. All a complete mess!

Ok first thing. I think you are already, but you're 100% on the current version of the app right? (v1.13.5) If not, grab the update from your app store.

Secondly, lets tackle this step by step. I'm going to ask you to create another Update Event again dated 30 June 2020 or some other date in the previous FY. The end goal here is get the balances in the app to what they should be in reality. Once that's done, you're going to send through a brand new EOFY 2019/20 finalisation so that any and all previous balances that the ATO currently have are overwritten.

Gross pay $114,166.66

+inital YTD gross pay $5,000

Fy 20 Gross Supposed to Be $94,166

Ok so your total gross pay in the app currently is $119,166.66 (114,166.66 + 5000.00) whereas it needs to be $94, 166.00. Enter -$25,000.66 into the gross pay field for this employee.

Tax withheld $31,387

+initial ytd tax withheld $1023

Fy 20 Tax withheld Supposed to Be $25,269

Total tax is $32,410.00 (31,387 + 1023) so in the same update event, enter -$7141.00 in the tax withheld field for this employee.

Super $14,347.94

+ytd super $475

Fy 20Super Supposed to Be $8,945.84

Total super is $14,822.94 (14,347.94 + 475) so in the same update event, enter -$5,877.10

This should do it and hopefully it does but please let me know how you get on. Once this Update Event goes through and your balances are correct in the app 🤞 then we can move on to sending through the EOFY finalisation.

There is only one employee, (you), in your app account correct?