Did you not backup before the upgrade?

dakdak Member Posts: 32
edited April 14 in Accounts Hosted
Everyone was advised to backup their files before the upgrade.  Just wondering why some people have apparently not done that - if you had, you would easily be able to retrieve your file and get on with using the program (for those who are saying they can only open an old file, or can't find one at all).  This is the whole point of backups and if you aren't doing them, you can't blame Reckon when things turn to **** and you don't have your most recent file in a safe place.

Comments

• Cathy O'HardingCathy O'Harding Member Posts: 21
    edited September 2014
    I didn't know there was an upgrade happening!
    edited September 2014
    I was unaware there was an upgrade of this scale happening! this is absolutely ridiculous! I was sick last week which mean that the last time I accessed the file was to run payroll! I normally do weekly backups but have an accounts person who worked last week so all her work is potentially lost! I can't get into the system after following the instructions to change the password it now won't accept it so I don't even know if the file I found to upgrade this morning is the right file!
  • Leisha SLeisha S Member Posts: 42
    edited April 14

Cathy, I'm in the exact same boat as you!

Dak, it's easy to point fingers, I agree, but everyone has a different situation.

• dakdak Member Posts: 32
    edited September 2014
    Really?  I got about ten emails about it, offering webinar sessions, links to hints/tips, general info etc.
    edited September 2014
    I understand that, but when the host itself tells you to perform your own backup prior to an upgrade, you would think most people would take that advice.  (Maybe they knew something!!)
    edited September 2014
    I didn't receive one email ... But then that is clearly an issue also I know my email is on file as I have put it there myself! But there wasn't even the usual warnings on login that there was not only an upgrade but complete system change they put messages at the login screen all the time but not this?! The other issue I have Dak is that I can't even login to the system to find my file! I got in once this morning following all the instructions changed my details as requested now I can't even log in to find out what is going on with my file! That is a bigger issue to me than the file! Oh and btw I have backed up in the past and Reckon have managed to have an issue and I have lost 12mths worth of entry so don't trust that just because you have backed up it is fine! I use a cloud service for a reason so that the file is secure and so that I have have to worry about the security and safety of the backup ... Clearly this is far too hard for Reckon!
  • KaraKara Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2014
    how do I restore from a usb
    edited September 2014
    From the couple of minutes I was in the system this morning the system isn't "better - faster" just no citrix which was never really an issue anyway! I live in hope that it will actually be better
  • Joanne SedgmanJoanne Sedgman Member Posts: 34
    edited September 2014

I did backups and none of them are there either. Been on the phone for an hour

edited September 2014
    But don't you back them up to a different location (otherwise what's the point?)?
    edited September 2014
    The main reason for using a cloud based accounting that comes with guaranteed secure online backups is the backup service! the point is that you shouldn't have to back up offline that is not the selling point of the package!
    edited September 2014
    Sorry, when I mentioned emails I was responding to Cathy who said she was unaware of the upgrade, just saying I received many emails about it.  I wasn't referring to backups (which I must have read on here somewhere as I can't see an email about it, either!).
  • Al KellyAl Kelly Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2014
    I was completely unaware an upgrade was coming, and was absolutely astonished that it happened without notice. I see I'm not alone in this. It is utterly disgraceful, unprofessional and unforgivable. The Reckon management staff should be ashamed of themselves.
    edited September 2014
    You're quite entitled to think my comment is a load of ****, but the simple fact is  that if someone has backed up their file externally, they have been able to log in and work as normal after restoring that file (ignoring any login problems etc).  It doesn't matter whether their hand was held to take the steps to back it up, they've done it and it's served its purpose.  So be a dick all you want, but you may not be here if you'd done a backup.
  • Linde Johnston HerdeLinde Johnston Herde Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2014

the email that said to backup was only sent on Friday, I didn't actually work on Friday, bedsides backing anywhere other than their system I have found to be impossible to do, and I am not an IT person, I am just a user of their system. I did however do my last backup early July and that is not there either.

• Adriana HewettAdriana Hewett Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2014
    Please don't tell me that they have actually lost all our data? I would think they would have backups of everything??? 
    edited September 2014
    I don't think its totally lost but I'm not confident of that ...
    edited September 2014

It will be all good. I have several company files for different clients and they are slowly being fixed one at a time. Patience is not one of my virtues but I am learning very quickly. All data is there so far.

edited September 2014
    And I second Linde, backups from my laptop will only work to the Reckon drives and not my own. I have questioned this on numerous occasions.
    edited September 2014
    Old way: http://kb.reckon.com.au//issue_view.asp?ID=4674

In the new version with the upload/download buttons (if you can get in!), you just click on the download button to access the B drive.  The file will then save to your Downloads folder and you can save it wherever you want.
    edited September 2014
    Linde, in the new version with the upload/download buttons (if you can get in!), you just click on the download button to access the B drive.  The file will then save to your Downloads folder and you can save it wherever you want.

For the old way - http://kb.reckon.com.au//issue_view.asp?ID=4674
    edited September 2014

In the new version I have no backups there at all now. None. This has been a total disaster. I have 3 files in there to use, 1 is 2 months old, 1 is over 6 months old and the other is several years old. I noticed the upload/download feature on the new program seems to work so as I can save easily onto my computer but that doesn't help me going forward. The best I can do is use the file which is 2 months old and this causes all sorts of problems because this is prior to the payroll year being completed and closed off for the new payroll/financial year. Which means the payroll scales are all going to be wrong. Patience is being very stretched. Doing major upgrades at the end of financial years is probably NOT a good idea. This is the busiest time of year and I have accountants hammering me for information. At the moment I have gone back to basic manual accounting in the hope that this problem is totally backed up to the older version which for me worked quite well.

edited September 2014
    I understand some people can't access current files, I was just addressing your comment that you couldn't work out how to do a backup anywhere except the Q and B drives. 
    edited September 2014

I do appreciate your notes. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.