How to import QIF in new version of Hosted?

Rod Parungao
Rod Parungao Member Posts: 4
edited September 2020 in Accounts Hosted
Hi there,

With the release of new version of Reckon Hosted.
I cannot import now my bank statements (qif file) saved in my local pc.
I tried the two blue buttons on the top page (upload and download)
but it won't works and nothing happened.
I can't see the uploaded files (qif) in B and Q drive to download from
the import bank statement menu in Quickbooks.
Online bank and credit card accounts was already setup and I was
doing it before the updates.
Please help,ASAP.

Many thanks,

Rod Parungao

Comments

• Shane_6461899
    Shane_6461899 Reckon Staff Posts: 339 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2020
    Hi Rod,

With the new Reckon Accounts Hosted V2 use the upload button (arrow facing up), browse to your QIF file, duoble click it, which will move it to the "Upload" folder on your Q drive.  From there you import as usual, just select the QIF file from the Upload folder that is on your Q drive.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
    Shane.
  • Rod Parungao
    Rod Parungao Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2014
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled QIF import in new version of Hosted?. Hi Kevin,

With the release of new version of Reckon Hosted.
    I cannot import now my bank statements (qif file) saved in my local pc.
    I tried the two blue buttons on the top page (upload and download)
    but it won't works and nothing happened.
    I can't see the uploaded files (qif) in B and Q drive to download from
    the import bank statement menu in Quickbooks.

The online bank and credit accounts are already set up.
    Please help.

Many thanks,

Rod Parungao

Note: This topic was created from a reply on the Reckon Plus 2014 Importing Error topic.
  • Duncan Harvey
    Duncan Harvey Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2014
    I get an error when processing bank data. Any ideas?

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited December 2016
    Hi Duncan,

Sorry that you are experiencing problems with BankData.

Could you please provide some more information about your problem - at what point do you experience a failure and what error messages are being generated?

When you reply could you please start a new thread as the BankData process does have a number of different aspects to the the QIF process and will be more accessible to other users who may be experiencing the same issues as you.

regards,
    John
  • Duncan Harvey
    Duncan Harvey Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2014
    Thanks, have started a new thread.
  • Michael Van Niekerk
    Michael Van Niekerk Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2014
    My uploaded QIF Files do not appear in the Q or B drives (if they even attempt to upload, most of the time I just get a message saying that this file is not supported). This is NOT good enough Reckon! what a way to destroy what was working for millions of customers.
  • Jason Hollis
    Jason Hollis Alumni Posts: 516 Reckon Staff
    edited September 2020

Hi Michael,

The import is working as expected, and we have not changed the QIF import process into the banking centre from the older version, so something else is at play here.

When you select the upload button and then select the QIF on your local machine it should upload straight to Q:\Upload.

To test, run this, and then click the download button in hosted, but then navigate to Q: > Upload and have a look what QIF files are present, if any?

Also advise what bank you are with, as there is a known issue with the CBA at the moment where they have changed the format of the QIF.

Regards,
    Jason Hollis - Partner Relationship Manager

• Mirko
    Mirko Alumni Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Another simple one (which I overlook on a daily basis on most programs haha!) is changing the toggle to "view/show all file types" ?
  • Jen2014
    Jen2014 Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2014
    I have downloaded the bank transactions from QIF to QBO into Upload folder etc.  Went through the normal process as previously done.  Choose the account to Import into.... and then nothing happens.
    I can not see the file to be able to process.  It is not within Online Banking.  Please help

• Jason Hollis
    edited September 2020
    Hi Jen,

Just to clarify, you should be uploading the QIF file to the Q Drive, then converting the QIF to QBO from within Reckon Accounts Hosted (check the file locations as below. ie Q:\)

When you click OK you should see (very quickly)..

Then...

Can you confirm this is the process you are following, and what screens you are not seeing?

Regards,
    Jason
  • Jen2014
    edited September 2020
    Hi Jason I see the Import screen, the files are correct - loaded from Q drive, enter the account to import into. Click ok. Then nothing. Import screen goes and I am left in the Online Banking window. There is no file imported to view. I have gone through the process many times before the upgrade, so is there another setting that needs to be changes somewhere?
  • Jason Hollis
    edited December 2016

Hi Jen, so you are not getting the 'Import new transactions now' option? (the 3rd screenshot above). Is that right?

Can you physically go to the Q drive and see the QIF file as well as the QBO file?

If you open the QIF file on your local computer (using notepad) can you see data incl amounts, dates and payment references?

Which bank is the QIF from?

Thanks,
    Jason

• Jen2014
    edited September 2020
    Hi - I get the quick flash of "Converting QIF file" window but not the "Import Transactions Now" window.  
    The file has been converted though as I can see it in the Upload folder.  
    I have checked the file by opening it in Notepad and it contains all the data I want to get into Reckon.

Just tried it all again, I get the message about there already being a QBO file, so I agree to overwrite it.  Then it converts it (again) and then nothing. All I am left with is whatever screen I was already in. No other options are given.

ALT + PageUp key did not work either.

Would be really great if I can get this to work as GST return is overdue and Mr Tax man would be happy too!

Any suggestions?
    Jen
  • Jason Hollis
    edited December 2016

OK Jen,

What if you try to import the QBO file directly?

Go to... File > Utilities > Import > Web Connect Files... and navigate to your QBO file.

Do you get the 'Select Bank Account' window to open by using this method?

• Jen2014
    edited September 2014
    Hi Jason,
    Thank you so much. I have been away all day and just saw your message.  I have imported the file in without a problem.  The standard window appeared as to which bank account to load file into and then it was available within "Online Banking Centre"

But there is something wrong when the normal standard way does not work. But thank you again for the 'work around' it means I can get my accounts done.  I will contact Reckon Techs when they open their doors again on Monday to advise of the fault.

Appreciate your help.
    Jen
  • Michael Van Niekerk
    Michael Van Niekerk Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2014
    Hi Jason,

I have just tried yet again to import a new QIF file, this time I have been able to locate it, and QB says that it has converted the file, but the reconciliation window is not coming up, so I can't complete my bank rec. I see all 3 screens as mentioned below, then nothing happens, where as I used to get the split window for the reconciliation after the third screen. any ideas??
  • Jason Hollis
    edited December 2016
    G'Day Michael. Have a look at the last post to Jen re going through the utilities > import > web connect files... path as the web connect file should be sitting with the QIF as it sounds as though the conversion has taken place.

See how you go with that process.

Regards,
    Jason
  • Ashley Joyce
    Ashley Joyce Member Posts: 17
    edited February 2015
    I don't have an UPLOAD directory in my Q drive. I've been trying for sometime today to import a transaction list or QIF file from my netbank account and having no luck at all. I've looked at all the different ways you import using reckon hosted and nothing is working. Please advise.
  • Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Hey Ashley, this video runs through uploading and downloading files in the Accounts Hosted Environment >> https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/uploading_and_downloading_company_files_ot_the_new_reckon...

Let me know if you get stuck anywhere...

• Ashley Joyce
    edited February 2015
    Interesting I have just succeeded in getting this function to work.

Basically the new "blue" up arrow button uploads the QIF that I selected from my local directory => into my Q drive creating the new upload directory during the upload phase. Which I can then import into one of my reckon accounts using the import bank statement function in the banking menu.

My feedback is that the navigation of this upload/import functionality is extremely cumbersome and not user friendly at all, the menu menu system really lacks any useful pointers on how to do this whilst in reckon hosted, you almost forced to visit the online community forum to work out how the bloody import thing works. I personally think you need much better help files on upload/import bank utility.

• Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant
    Sally McIntosh, Accredited Consultant Accredited Partner Posts: 468 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2016

Hi Ashley,

When this new version was introduced back in August last year, Reckon did advise all users to watch the videos they created on any changes.

Personally, very few of my clients did this and so I created a document for them to easily access on how to do it.

Although it is cumbersome, it is much faster than the previous way of uploading and downloading!

Kind regards,

Sally McIntosh (sally@samsolutions.com.au)

• Ashley Joyce
    edited February 2015
    Hi Sally,

If someone needs to watch videos... it's too cumbersome in my opinion. The enterprise system should be as intuitive as possible. I've been importing files for 20 years across multi platforms & software. This was by the far the most confusing upload/import functionality I've come across. Have you seen pocketbook (personal finance software)?

https://getpocketbook.com

Their motto is "stop wasting hours of your time categorizing transactions. Use pocketbook to do it automatically" That app is amazing at setting. Up & feeding in all my bank feeds to different financial accounts. I had multi bank accounts feeding into pocketbook in no time at all. Reckon Hosted just doesn't compare. In my honest opinion.

I spent most of today trying to use the import bank statement functionality and most of it is still very manual entry based. There is no intuitive & quick way of mapping bank transactions to bills, payments. I'll explore again next time.... when I'm reconciling my bank accounts to see if I can improve on what I'm doing in Reckon... But the system could really benefit by cloning the way pocketbook works at feeding bank transactions.
  • Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Hey Ashley,

Few points to raise, Pocketbook is an Online/Cloud Based App much like our Modular Cloud Accounting Solution > Reckon One. Hosted gives you full desktop functionality which often is not available in other Cloud Accounting Software. Most importantly, Hosted and Reckon One are tailored towards business needs, unlike PocketBooks which is a personal finance tool like Pocketbooks - i.e. Can it do BAS?

I thank you for you suggestion regarding getting a better process, and am happy to say that Reckon Accounts 2015 will see the launch of 'Renaming Rules', which will allow you to set up rules for imported QIF or direct BankData Feeds - Reckon One already offers this function. The video below shows QIF imports and setting up rules, it will run similarly.

Cheers,
    Mirko

• Ashley Joyce
    edited February 2015
    Hi Mirko,

How does BAS functionality have anything to do with importing and categorising bank feed transactions into an accounting system in a intuitive and automated way?

Pocketbook doesn't have BAS functionality, because you & I both know that it is a entirely free cloud-based software app (both desktop & mobile) for managing an individuals personal finances. It is not aimed at the business market with BAS lodgement, its for individual use (users who do their personal tax return once a year).

In my opinion, business solutions, like Reckon Hosted, which are user-pay models should be streaks ahead of the free apps in all respects... including the importing of bank feeds.... when clearly this is not the case in respect to Reckon Hosted compared to Pocketbook!

I've been using Reckon Hosted since it first started several years ago.... probably the most time consuming process is doing the bank reconciliation. I can spend a few hours matching up all my bank transactions every BAS time. Its extremely time-consuming.  

I'm glad to hear progress has been made towards import rules for categorising transactions. I just hope its not too cumbersome otherwise users wont use it. 

• Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Hey Ashley, I understand your quite valid points - this is the direction being taken within Reckon One. At the same we time remain committed to our Desktop and Hosted users, which is why this change is being implemented in the 2015 release.
  • thereAreNoStupidQuestions
    thereAreNoStupidQuestions Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2015
    Pocketbook, and similar, are most likely free because they are a small start-up trying to build subscribers before offering the business for sale. Bank feeds are not free, just free to their customers. Someone is paying for it, and it will be for a reason.
  • Ashley Joyce
    edited March 2015
    A product like Pocketbook could stay entirely free if it can find ways to monetize the information it stores. Not unlike how big companies like Google have made successful business models by giving away free online cloud services to their users such as Google search & Google mapping.

The buying habits of the hundreds of thousands of pocketbook users could be extremely valuable to marketing companies in Australia looking to better understand the demographic segmentation of the Australian consumer Market. This data can be packaged in such a way that does not disclose personal information of the individual Pocketbook users. 

Pocketbook could still be sold off to someone like Google looking to make acquisition with a cloud service that already favors this type of revenue model. The great thing about this kind of revenue model, is once the entirely free cloud service has reached a critical mass it makes it nearly impossible for other software companies too come along and sell a subscription service... unless of course that subscription service adds extra functionality that the entirely free software does not already cater for... in most cases this market will be much smaller.   

• Fiona_7445663
    Fiona_7445663 Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2015
    I am having this exact same problem.  My Qif file converts to QBO - I can see it in my Q drive - uploads.  I get asked to select which account to import it to, I select the account.  I then get asked if I would like to import the new transactions now, I select yes.  I then get taken to the online banking centre and no file is showing.  Any suggestions?
  • Jason Hollis
    edited December 2016
    Hi Fiona, 

Did you try the process above....? That is...

...try to import the QBO file directly?

Go to... File > Utilities > Import > Web Connect Files... and navigate to your QBO file.

?Regards,

Jason

• Fiona_7445663
    Fiona_7445663 Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2015

Hi Jason,

I gave it a go but no luck.

I discovered that it will not import into my account because I have it classed as a foreign currency account. 

My home currency is Indonesian Rupiah so Reckon won't accept the statement (even though the account is set up in AUD and the bank account is a Nab AUD account). 

Thanks for checking up - any ideas on how to get around it? 

Fiona