How do i ENTER BILLS without RECEIVING ITEMS

Ben_6937420
Ben_6937420 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
edited September 2020 in Accounts Hosted
We bring sea containers of stock into Australia, so we receive the bill way before the goods arrive. If I hit enter bills and tell it the supplier, it says you have open PO's attached to this supplier, do you want to receive these items. If say yes, it receives these goods into stock (this is bad). If I say no, then the bill and the order are disconnected, it also starts asking what account you want to put it against (this is programmed into the PO so I dont want to mess with that).
Any ideas????

Comments

• Kevin V. Russell
    Kevin V. Russell Member Posts: 265
    edited June 2015
    Are you paying for the goods before you receive them? You can write a check to the supplier and create a credit on the account if you pay for the stock in advance
  • Ben_6937420
    Ben_6937420 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    No but the bill is issued when goods leave the supplier, the terms are set and the clock is ticking. Sea-freight can be up to 6 weeks, I may have to pay for the goods only a week or 2 after receiving them. So i need to enter the bills first, then receive the goods into stock weeks later.
  • Jason Hollis
    Jason Hollis Alumni Posts: 516 Reckon Staff
    edited September 2020

Hi Ben,

This is a common scenario and there are a few ways to attack it including Kevin's suggestion - especially if you are paying on a proforma prior to shipment.

The important aspect is that the BILL DATE (of the bill that includes the inventory) should be the date the goods are received at your warehouse. That is, their receipt date. This will ensure your SOH figures are accurate.

But how do I pay for the goods in advance or know the terms? There are a few options, but this is what I prefer...

a) create a BANK ACCOUNT called Goods in Transit or GIT (I like GIT)

b) Create a bill for the date of your suppliers invoice including the correct terms, however DO NOT add the inventory but instead post it to the GIT Account (under the expense tab in the bill). This gives your GIT account a credit (also useful for knowing the value of the goods you have on the water - especially if you have several in transit at once).

c) When you receive the goods convert your PO to a bill and date the bill as the receipt date (the due date is irrelevant)

d) Pay the inventory bill from the GIT account (using Pay Bills). This clears the GIT as you no longer have any goods in transit.

e) Pay the GIT bill (from step b) on the due date as per the suppliers invoice

NB. There can be quite a few variables here in terms of GST timing, foreign currency, freight forwarding fees, true landed cost, received goods total not equalling the proforma invoice total and so on so please seek advice from your accountant or a registered BAS agent (our accredited partner network is a great place to look) as this post is conceptual in nature only.

Kind regards,
    Jason Hollis - Partner Relationship Manager - Business Group

• Kelly Day
    Kelly Day Accredited Partner Posts: 43 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited April 2016
    My preferred method too
  • Ann_7781953
    Ann_7781953 Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2018
    We use Fishbowl Inventory Management and Reckon.  We often pay for stock being shipped from overseas before being received (either a deposit or in full).  I want to record the prepayment into the Reckon system but, then when we receive the physical stock and enter it into Fishbowl, offset the prepayment entry in Reckon against the entry imported from Fishbowl.

Currently we receive it into Fishbowl but this overstates our stock on the balance sheet and can cause issues for our manufacturing, as they think there is stock there for the BOM's to make our products, when there isn't.

How is it best to manage this?
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited October 2018
    New thread Please reference the new conversation here: Fishbowl inventory management

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.