Why do I get the error "Password for credential is invalid" when launching GovConnect?

Ian Iredale
Ian Iredale Member Posts: 3
edited October 2017 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Cannot access Auskey via GovConnect. I can sign in via the Government website, but when I use the same password in GovConnect I get a dialogue box titled "GovConnect Password Warning" and content "Password for credential is invalid". This comes up immediately, so doesn't appear to be even trying the password. Please help.

Comments

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi Ian,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

It sounds like the password you are entering is not associated with the AUSkey keystore file you are using.  

On the GovConnect opening page reconnect your keystore file by clicking on browse and navigating to your current keystore file and try again. 

Hope this gets your going again.

regards,
    John
  • Ian Iredale
    edited February 2014
    Thanks John. I have done that already and have found the file at the default location you list for Windows 7 (which is my operating system). Is it possible that there are other keystore files located elsewhere on my hard disk? Or is there a way I can get the keystore file rewritten to my hard disk from the Auskey website? I have only ever used the 1 password to log in, so I would expect if there are multiple keystore files that they should all contain the same password. 
  • John G
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for the update Ian,

We have not encountered a problem with your error message before.  

Have you successfully accessed SBR through GovConnect before?
    Is this keystore file more than a year old and has not been used in more than a year?

It does sound like there is a problem with the keystore file itself.

Go to the AUSkey website and generate a new keystore file and try again.  

If the problem persists, then please talk with the ATO/AUSkey direct for further insight.  

Hope these steps bring you a resolution.

regards,
    John
  • Ian Iredale
    edited February 2014
    Thanks once again John for the prompt reply. Trust me to be the one to find a new problem.

I first logged in to Auskey about January 2014 in order to change my address with ATO. The keystore file is therefore fairly new.

I decided to get modern and submit my BAS online, Maybe I need to continue in my old fashioned manner. This is the first time I have tried to use GovConnect. I had only installed Reckon accounts previously and have just installed GovConnect. Maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall it. I have tried the Repair option.

I will generate a new keystore file and follow up with the ATO to see if that fixes my problem. Otherwise I will slowly transfer things to a new laptop I have just bought and see if it might work on that machine.

Cheers,
    Ian
  • John G
    edited February 2017
    Hi Ian,

You do need to get this fixed as soon (is is July this year?) the ATO will accept lodgements only via SBR.  

It's unlikely that its a faulty GovConnect installation as you get to the opening screen and the error is specifically between your password and the keystore file.  Certainly if the new keystore file behaves the same way that will have to be one of checks to do.  

Let me know how it goes.

regards,
    John

• Aaron Barker
    Aaron Barker Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2014
    I have the same issue, "Password for credential is invalid" when launching GovConnect.. Have previously been able to logon using GovConnect but no longer can. My Auskey keystore file is in the same place and I can access ATO business portal with Auskey. Was there any resolution to the previous post?
  • John G
    edited February 2017
    Hi Aaron,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

Sorry to hear of your AUSKey problem.  We haven't heard of this error apart from Ian's post above so we are none the wiser.  

Such an error can be generated when:
    • You selected another .xml file other than your keystore file (Check the Credentials box – it should show the name of the holder of this keystore file;)

• Your keystore file is corrupt;

• Your AUSkey is corrupt;
    So check that you are using the correct keystore file and you have entered the correct password (is your caps lock on? was there a space after the characters?).  If the problem persists, download a new keystore file and/or generate a new AUSkey from the ABR website.  

Hope this helps.

regards,
    John

• Carolyn_1708623
    Carolyn_1708623 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2014
    Hi - I too have the same "password for credential is invalid" message

ATO tells me my keystore file should not be corrupt as i can log into the ATO web portal.

I received my Auskey in Jan 2014 and there are no "latest downloads"

I am definitely using the same password each time.

I have spoken to reckon and ATO too many times - no one knows the answer!!!

If anyone can shine some light on this problem it would be appreciated - otherwise i have to submit my reports via the manual ATO forms.
  • Andrew_6960507
    Andrew_6960507 Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2016

I'm a BAS Agent and 12 months ago I decided that it would be quicker using GovConnect too. I had the same errors back then even though I could login through the BAS Agent portal (to ATO) using the same credentials. I discussed this with both Reckon and the government department that looks after Auskeys (can't remember their name, off hand). Both wanted to blame each other for the problem. In the end I just continued using the Agent Portal. Sorry it's no help to you but atleast you know the problem isn't yours alone or it being a one off problem, it has been happening for more than 12 months and it would appear that no-one is going to put their hand up and say "I can fix it".

As far as files being corrupt, I use the same credentials at least 12 times a month and have never had credential problems when accessing the portal.

PS I un-installed GovConnect about 2 weeks ago!!!

Regards Andrew

• Carolyn_1708623
    Carolyn_1708623 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2014
    Thanks Andrew - I will stop wasting my time with phone calls - certainly makes me feel better seeing other people have the same problem -  not that that actually helps any of us but i suppose the more people that report this issue the better chance we have of someone looking in to it.

Cheers Carolyn
  • cuffe8
    cuffe8 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2014
    Hi all. Just letting you know I have installed GovConnect recently and I am getting the same message re invalid password. I too can use Auskey through the business portal without any problems, have been for a few years now.
  • David_7179752
    David_7179752 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2014
    I have also had the same problem. Same key works with the ATO portal but not with GOV connect so I have now uninstalled it.
  • NarellePaterson
    NarellePaterson Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    this has only just happened to me The password gets me into ATO Bus portal but not into Gov connect I have Reckon support checking on solution but just in case I might need to do it the old way and I am not sure I can remember how to ?