Cash Sales arent coming up on Quick Books - PLEASE HELP!!

Tash Cameronson
Tash Cameronson Member Posts: 8
edited June 2020 in Point of Sale
Hi I am a teacher, teaching Business Studies to students and I have set up Quick Books 2014, Point Of Sale Terminal (Lite) as well. I have organised all products, bar codes, accounts etc then had a play with it to see it work. Through the Terminal Point Of Sale Program I want to set up where students can pay Cash or Charge to their Account. When I had a play with it, I charged some items to their Customer Account and some through Cash.

When I went to upload the data from Terminal to Quick Books through Point Of Sale Lite 2014 Administrator a Warning Box came up:

"Reckon accounts has detected that one of your items does not have an account associated with it. Go to the Item list to make sure all items are associated with accounts"

I checked and all seemed fine, then I noticed ALL cash sales were nowhere to be found. All items charge to their Customer Account were present in Quickbooks. Do I need to setup something for Cash Sales?! Any help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Chris McGregor
    Chris McGregor Member Posts: 140
    edited April 2015

Hi Tash,

By the sounds of it there has been some issue with your cash payment item in your items list like you may have accidnetly changed which account its going to it and performed a transfer midway through the day, with thst being the case you will need to do a quick google search for "Error on line XX when importing IIF Files" and follow the instructions on how to edit iif files.

1) Perform an end of day "Z" read on all your POS Terminals.

2) open your item list in Reckon Account(formally quickbooks) and edit your CASH payment item in the items list and make sure you have that associated to a bank account eg "Cash Register funds"

3) Perform a Transfer in POS Admin.

4) POS end of day files are the files next to your POS database that have a ".pos" extension and the terminal name at the beginning eg "QBPst - Terminal - 150204 125443 - 001.pos". These are actually IIF files that have had the file extension changed for use with POS.

Using the doc that you find by google, open each end of day file and have in column " i " for the word "CASH", once you've found it look on the same line in column "D" and make sure that the account name that you've specified in step 2 is listed. if it isn't then manually type in the name of the account making sure to type it verbatim, no extra spaces or incorrect capitalisation. do this on all lines and once complete click the save icon at the top of excel or press Ctrl+S then exit excel, when it askes if you want to save again click no or excel will try and change the format to something else.

5) repeat step 4 for all end of day files.

6) now we need to import the transactions into reckon accounts, to do this first create a backup of reckon accounts, we are importing data that may fail after all so better to be safe then sorry.
    after that click on File>Utilities>Import>IIF Files. browse to the location of your end of day files, you may need to select the options to show all file types to see these unless you manually changed the file extensions from .pos to .iif. Import one and check your audit trail report(Under accountant sub report menu). assuming it was successful do the next and do on.

if you had an issue importing any of the files you will need to restore your backup and import after making alterations, just remember to import the once you corrected successfully before finishing up

once all the files have been imported successfully you can now delete the end of day files.

once this is all done and dusted I would recommend creating a cash sale in POS for 1 dollar and performing an end of day and posting the file into reckon accounts. and confirming correct operation before finishing up, if successful then Happy days :)

Kind Regards,

Chris

• Chris McGregor
    edited April 2015

Oh I forgot,

if you need more info on this please call the Reckon Accounts Support team and they can assist you or contact an  accredited partner and they can do it for you.

http://home.reckon.com.au/support/Home/ReckonSupport/FindAReckonAccreditedPartner.aspx

kind Regards,

Chris

• Chris McGregor
    edited April 2015
  • Tash Cameronson
    edited April 2015
    Hi Chris,
    Thanks so much for your reply. This is really frustrating me lol. I dont need to recover any transactions as I am just testing the system before I use it. I noticed under Item List in Reckon Accounts Plus 2014 there was an item called Cash, I associated the Cash with the Cash Register Funds and then did everything you say. End of day, transfer to Reckon Accounts and transfer back etc and the same error comes up. I have attached screen shots and hoping these will help. THanks in advance :)image
  • Tash Cameronson
    edited April 2015
    imageimageimage
  • Tash Cameronson
    edited April 2015
    imageimage
  • Tash Cameronson
    edited April 2015
    I have also Cleaned Up Company Data to delete all transactions and tried the process again and still didnt work. It always comes up with the same error on Line 7 dont know if that means anything?!
  • Chris McGregor
    edited April 2015

Hi Tash,

Thanks for that screen shot that makes it soo much easier, the issue is that the item you have in there is a service item, it should be a payment item. I would suggest renaming the item you currently have in there as "CASH" to be "CASH1" then wither creating a new payment item called cash or importing the file called "QBSTAND.pos" from the pos admin install directory as that has all the base items required for pos to work successfully.

then transfer again and try the test sales again.

Kind Regards,

Chris

• Chris McGregor
    edited April 2015

on a side note, where it says "error on line X" the number that it is stating will be the last line of a transaction. what its actually saying is there is an issue somewhere in that transaction not necessarily that line.

in column A the sequence will be something like this

LINE1    TRNS
    LINE2   SPL
    LINE3   LINE1    ENDTRNS

which is basically a guide for Reckon Accounts to read the transaction so basically

LINE1    BEGINING OF NEW TRANACTION
    LINE2   DATA
    LINE3   END OF TRANSACTION

So using the example above error on line 3 would mean there is something wrong with either lines 1 or lines 2.

Regards,

Chris

• Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2020
    Hi Tash - further to everything Chris has told you about your setup issues, remember that if you get an "error on line xx" message - this means that transaction has not been imported - which is why you cant see it....  it should be sitting in an Import Errors folder where the Reckon datafile is living (but this is not a problem since you are using test data) ...once you have the payment item setup correctly and pointing to the Cash Register Funds - run some more transactions through POS... then do an end of day and create another xxx.pos file - but before Posting via Administrator - just open it up and make sure that it looks similar to the example Chris posted previously... then do a post - if not - perhaps call Tech Support as recommended by Chris...  if you still dont have any luck - make a portable file of your Reckon Accounts file and a backup of your POS file and email them to me.  I will have a quick look at your setup.  Regards Linda
  • Tash Cameronson
    edited April 2015
    Hi, Chris you are a legend, it worked a treat. Gave it a days rest and tried it again thankyou so much for your time, help and support much appreciated.

Thankyou Linda for your advice too, I have copied and pasted it down incase I need it for a future problem. Have tested it several times and it works a treat! Thankyou both very much!!!! :)