IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR OUR RECKON USERS REGARDING SINGLE TOUCH PAYROLL PHASE 2

Click your respective product link below to learn more.

Clean up your Hosted Company file & Backups.

MirkoMirko Alumni Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
edited September 2020 in Accounts Hosted
This Video runs through key steps which can be done to optimise your Reckon Accounts Hosted experience. By cleaning up your Company File and backups you're ensuring you are more than ready for the Reckon Accounts Hosted 2015 R1 which is being released soon.

*NOTE* - This process does not use the Clean up company data" feature.

Script from the Video:

With the release of Reckon Accounts Hosted 2015 edition there’s no better time to think about improving your efficiency in managing your company file.

How many backups do you have stored on Hosted?
If you are conscientious about protecting your company information – and who isn’t – then you probably have quite a number stored.  The older ones may be of little use to you now. Their presence creates a risk that when you do need to restore a backup, you restore an older backup and not your latest backup, and possibly that your users work on different versions of your company file.

Also, these files do clutter up the Hosted servers that can affect the efficiency in running Hosted sessions for everyone.

A good practice is to store backups on Hosted for immediate needs only. 

You will not need more than one or two backups for this. For longer-term storage needs you should transfer either a backup or a Portable Company File to your local PC.

So here are a few steps you can take right now to ensure a fresh start for the 2015 Edition.

First, check your company file for errors.

Hopefully you’ll get the message No Errors Found, but if an error is found, continue with a Rebuild. Then Verify again to make sure there are no errors.

If there are errors then make some time to explore the KBs and the Community for the errors found, and if needed, call Technical Support for more help.

If you did fix an error you should create a new backup. If you have more than one company file do this process for each.

Now, download your backup to your local PC. Click the download icon > Navigate to the B drive >  Double click on the Backup File to download to your PC.
You can then move it to a convenient location.

Finally we can now clean up our backups in  B drive. 
To view them let’s go - File > Open or Restore a company file > Open a company file > Change file directory to B drive > Change Files of Type to All Files. You will now have a list of all files in this directory

Check the date modified for each of your backups. We’ll decide to keep the last Backup so we can delete all earlier ones.

Highlight the first backup to delete, and press the Delete key on your keyboard. Say Yes to the message And see your file disappear.

Now do the same for all older backups you want to delete.

That’s it.  You’ve cleaned up your company file, have new backups on Hosted and locally, reduced your space usage on Hosted, and helped all users have a better experience of Hosted.

Comments

• CostaCosta Member Posts: 25
    edited April 2015
    I have spent quite a few hours trying to clean up my files which I have never done before (+-12 years) and it takes so long that hosted times out, corrupts the file because it was half way through, and I need to restore a backup. Is there any other way to do this?

• Jason HollisJason Hollis Reckon Staff Posts: 560 ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Hi Costa,

Are you timing out while running a backup (with full verify?). If you haven't completed a backup for a while it will take some time to clear the tlg (transaction log) file. 

There are a few options to overcome this, but first let us know when the time-out is occurring.

Kind regards,
    Jason
    edited April 2015
    Hi Jason, it does the download and verify ok but hangs half way through the cleanup phase. I stopped the full verify but the same happened, it got to about half way and then timed out.
    edited September 2020
    Thanks Costa. When you get a chance can you check the size of your data file (QBW) and also the TLG file (in the Q drive). The TLG will be the same name as your data file with ".TLG" on the end.

For example, myCompanyFile.QBW.TLG
    edited April 2015
    File size is 304,000KB cannot see any file with extension tlg
    edited September 2020
    Hi Costa,

You need to view it while looking at ALL file types, therefore within hosted, click the DOWNLOAD icon which opens up the download window.

Then sort by TYPE which will group the TLG files together (if you have more than one). See below for an example of my hosted account:

edited April 2015
    My file size here is 358,412 and the tlg is 7360kb
    edited September 2020
    Hi Costa,

Can you please contact me offline via [email protected] and I will have one of our senior technicians contact you to work through what the problem may be as the TLG is within normal tolerances.
    edited September 2020
    For other community members following this post we have been able to successfully 'clean' Costa's data. 

Note: A full "clean" of the data file can take some time, especially on larger data files with many transactions. It also depends on the years worth of data that you wish to archive. In other words, you need to be patient and ensure, if using Accounts Hosted, that you have a stable internet connection.

Here are the notes from our senior technician:
    Just an update... I have successfully performed a clean-up company data (archived data from last financial year and back) with no issues on the downloaded test file I obtained yesterday. I have provided instructions to perform this clean up company data successfully.

1. Verify Data : File > Utilities > Verify Data (Please allow time for this to complete)

2. Rebuild Data: File > Utilities > Rebuild Data (Please allow time for this to complete)

3. Initiate “Clean up company data” Process: File > Utilities > Clean up company data

4. Create a portable company file (*.QBM) and restore to reduce the data file size after the clean. Portable files, unlike backup files, do not contain related files such as letters, logos, images, & templates...only raw financial data.

File > Save Copy or Backup... > Portable company file (save this to your B drive in hosted or in a known folder if you are on a local machine).

File > Open or Restore Company... > Restore a portable file (.QBM) (select the recent portable backup and restore over the top of the existing QBW file - please make sure you have a full verify backup available if you run into issues).

If you are finding that the system logs you out during this process here are a few things to check:

Are you using a Wireless Connection?

Wireless connections are prone to signal drop-outs, if possible move closer to the Internet router or connect directly to the router with an Ethernet cable.

Do you have power saving settings active on your machine?

Windows have power options that help limit the use of power that may be causing these connection drop-outs to occur e.g. there are settings such as “Sleep Mode” – Please make sure this is disabled as sleep mode will disconnect your session.

To access this setting:

1. Access Windows Control Panel

2. Select “Power Options”

3. Click on “Change plan settings” on your current power plan

4. Make sure “Never” is selected for “Put the  computer to sleep”

If you still encounter issues then take your company data file 'offline' and complete the process locally, then simply upload your file to the hosted environment to continue using as per normal.
  • ReckonDataRecoveryReckonDataRecovery Reckon Staff Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    It appears that Costa has used the "Clean up company data" function which is not mentioned as part of the instructions in the video.

The "Clean up company data" function (previously known as Condense data) should not be performed unless:

1) You are certain that the data file is error-free (verify data detected no errors)

2) You have created a backup of that error-free company data file

3) You have tested that your backup can be successfully restored and opened
    * Data Recovery Team *
  • VanessaVanessa Member Posts: 14
    edited September 2020
    I backup our files regularly, probably once a week and I always move a copy of those backups to our google drive. However, in our backup settings, we have this option ticked: Limit the number of saved on-demand backup copies to 3 per folder. So why doesn't your B drive do that, rather than saving every backup we've ever done?
  • MirkoMirko Alumni Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Thanks for your feedback Vanessa. I've raised this with our techs to investigate.
  • ReckonDataRecoveryReckonDataRecovery Reckon Staff Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Techs will not be able to do anything about this.

Will require developers to take a look.

* Data Recovery Team *
  • Leanne MordenLeanne Morden Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    I have tried to do this however it will not delete on my Mac. Is there  different set of commands for a mac?
    edited December 2016
    Hi Leanne,

I am going to assume you mean the TLG file. If not please let us know.

Are you getting a warning advising that you cannot delete the file?

If so.... Make sure you don't have the company file open at the time as the TLG file is active when the QBW file is open.

With Reckon Accounts open and your company file open, go to...

File > Close Company (but don't close Reckon Accounts)

Then use the download button to navigate to the Q drive as per the instructions to delete the TLG file.

If the TLG file is not highlighting when you hover, click in some white space in the download window and hover again (sometimes the hover takes a while to set, eg 2 - 3 seconds).

** Please see notes and warnings about deleting the TLG file.

Regards,
    Jason
  • Amanda Ingram-DavisAmanda Ingram-Davis Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    Hi Jason,

I am obviously a little slow, however, I have just watched your video on cleaning up back up files, and I found that when I click on the backup file to highlight it to delete it, the program automatically tries to open it.  And so if I highlight the backup file without clicking on it, it changes from the B:\ drive to the one before it.

My files are extremely messy & I even have previous copies of my company file that I would like to delete, as trying to remember which one is the current one is confusing.

Can you please help me, I am using Chrome on my Mac desktop computer.

Thanks

Amanda
    edited December 2016
    Hi Amanda,

Can you please send your contact details to [email protected] attn: Jason Hollis and I will ask one of our technicians to contact you directly to get you back on track.

Kind regards,
    Jason
    edited December 2016
    Thank you for sending through your details Amanda. We will contact you shortly to schedule a time to review your data files.

Kind regards,
    Jason 
  • Tony - Systems ConsultantTony - Systems Consultant Alumni Posts: 11
    edited November 2016
    Hi Amanda,

As discussed over the phone - to perform a Forward delete on a Mac:

Hold down Fn + Delete
  • Julie WilliamsJulie Williams Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2018
    I have long running issues with my data file so ended up doing the quicker verification on the backup when I was using the desktop version.  I've only been on hosted since 16/1 and have had to rebuild my data 3 times already.  After the rebuild I can do the backup with complete verfication but a few days later I will have the error message again.  Any ideas?
  • WendyWendy Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2018
    How can I clean up backup files with the latest Hosted version? I tried following these instructions, but it wanted to open the backup files instead of giving any option to delete them. I want to selectively delete old backups. 
  • RavRav Administrator Posts: 11,653 Community Manager
    edited September 2018
    Hi Wendy,
    Please check out this KB article, it outlines the process of deleting files from your Q or B drive -

KB - Deleting a file in Reckon Accounts Hosted
This discussion has been closed.