What is IIF

cosmic
cosmic Reckon Developer Partner Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
What is iif? it means Intuit Interchange Format. It was ingeniously developed by Intuit Inc, USA more then 25 years ago. This is found in File/utilities menu. This format tool is very much outdated now and has not been updated, ugraded or modified,since 2002. To what i know,  its not been upgraded by Intuit and nor Reckon since 2002.But, this is the only most common form of import and export  facility available not costing any one. others are QODBC and SDK.
The business i stuck with this method trying to extract info out and putting to excel, etc, then trying to manipulate the report in excel . The problem is these are manual processing and i have seen, it never works out in the first attempt, there are so many items do not match properly , do not show, and many more, its never one go attempt exercise. i have wasted lots of time using this for many years, also used oustside programs like Transaction Pro and we have also Aus based applications, what i found is they all require manual processing.Of course, one needs to be in single user mode to import or export.Another option is using QODBC tool US derived tool, but its again can be lots of work. Some programming knowledge is required . Businesses or rather office staff have to spend lots of time in trying to use these option mentioned.
Well in my previous article, i wrote about Workarounds vs Automation, where if a business requires a task to be processed on daily or weekly or even monthly basis, that is using iif to import and export, it is much better option to choose automation option.  This will mean these process are developed into a tool - program where all is required in most cases pressing the button, and they are real time , the report is instant, and no manual processing required.

Cosmic Accounting Group

Accountants and Tax Agents 22397009

Comments

• Michael Guy
    Michael Guy Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2015

Is the syntax of a iif file universial? For Example:- Do you use the same syntax to create a iif file for QuickBooks and Reckon Accounts Premier 2013 ? 

• cosmic
    cosmic Reckon Developer Partner Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Michael, what are you trying to achieve? There are more  info on iif  on Google search. And also on Intuits forums.

Cosmic Accounting Group

Accountants and Tax Agents 22397009

• simon_9684771
    simon_9684771 Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2018
    I have just started working with IIF files and am finding that only exporting a single list at a time is a big help (as one set of headers to remove).  The Data tools in Excel (was called power query) also allow me to record all the steps required to clean up the file so that next time it just works.  Just need to work out how to convert a time stamp into a date...