Closing Open Estimates

Options
Simon Denham
Simon Denham Member Posts: 18
Hello,

My workflow is:
create an estimate -> win the work -> create sales order from the estimate -> do the work -> create invoice from sales order.
To determine the effectiveness of my estimation model and quote winning percenatge, I would run an "Open Estimate Report".
... and here it seems to fall over. It seems that Reckon keeps estimates and doesn't move them onto any kind of worrkflow as detailed above.
I have read a few posts here suggest to delete them.. Given I am paying top dollar for this accounting package, I fail to understand why I need to work to compensate for the absence of a connect sales workflow...

Am I being unreasonable to expect that a Sales Order created from an Estimate would close the estimate. Or an Invoice created from a Sales Order would close the Sales Order?

I am happy to change the way I work to achieve my intentions, but I am not going to delete the estimates and destroy my entire estimate/order/invoicing workflow records. I am expecting a lot better for my money.

Any advice or solutions will be enthusuiatically received.

Regards
Simon

Comments

• Sandra Lothian
    Sandra Lothian Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Hi Simon, You can create a Summary or Detail report to display your active estimates.  This means when an estimate becomes inactive or when you are finished with it (ie you have created your Sales Order) you need to open the estimate and untick the 'Estimate Active' box at the top.  A Sales Order automatically becomes "Invoiced in full" once you have created an invoice for all the listed items.   I hope this helps.

• Simon Denham
    Simon Denham Member Posts: 18
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yes it does :) thank you.
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2016
    Options
    So, Simon,  

in relation to your opening comments,  are you satisfied with the workflow process of declaring an estimate as fully satisfied,  or would you suggest some improvement is still necessary to somehow automate the exercise based purely on the creation of an invoice to the client to which the Estimate relates.  

It would be good to round off this topic with either an acknowledgement of the process suggested by fellow community member, Sandra, or put a suggestion forward based on an improved way to facilitate what you think could be an improved methodology.

Cheers

Gary
    ?
  • Kim Chapman - COS Business Solutions
    Kim Chapman - COS Business Solutions Accredited Partner Posts: 204 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi Simon If I understand correctly. I think you solution might be, try changing the preference for Jobs & Estimates to 'Do you do Progress Invoicing?' - Yes. You can still create the invoice from the estimate in full, and it was then award the estimate as complete once converted to an Invoice. Hope this helps. Kind Regards Kim Chapman Accredited Consultant.
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Kim

Yes, good idea Kim,  and for Simon,  he can relax from any fears of being asked to delete any vital information.    The jobs not done till the payment has cleared the bank....  one of the many reasons to keep transactions active until verified/audited/checked by project managers,  and then marked as no longer active.   (OR listed in reports where job completion dates are completed)

Gary
  • Rick Clement
    Rick Clement Member Posts: 28
    edited November 2017
    Options

I am about to write a suggestion that the tick box for estimates "Estimate Active" be able to be toggled on or off without opening the Estimate from the Customer Centre. You can show Active Estimates from one of the Columns and it would be easy to then select the field to remove or add the tick.

If you would like this feature please support my suggestion as this was of interest to you previously.

• Viv A
    Viv A Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Personally, I have a similar work flow to Simon, and I agree that I would expect the Estimate Active check box should automatically unchecked by Accounts if a Customer Sales Order is generated directly from an Estimate.

Unfortunately, invoicing straight from the Estimate mucks up other reports of mine that are vital to our Manufacturing Schedule.