Statement Charges and Adjustment Notes

Belinda Bekkers
Belinda Bekkers Member Posts: 7
edited February 2017 in Accounts Hosted
I have inherited an AR outstanding list that is a nightmare.

On the report, there are a lot of total outstanding of $0. However, in the current column are statement charges (that were put in 2013). These statement charges were put in to take up outstanding adjustment notes (from 2009). The adjustment notes show up in the >90 days column.

I would obviously like to remove these so that my AR report is only one page rather than 4.

Does anyone have any ideas to help me?

I am using Reckon Accounts Hosted 2015

Comments

• Belinda Bekkers
    edited March 2016
    I have done more digging and found that the 2009 adjustment notes were created using an old AR account that is no long active. 

If I create an invoice using this AR account, this means that I'm going to have entries for this account in the current financial year (it hasn't been used since 2009).

There's got to be a way to rectify this, but I'm having problems seeing it while my head is buried in it.

Thanks in advance.
  • Annette_8052353
    Annette_8052353 Member Posts: 21
    edited February 2017
    If you go into the Customer Payments section you should be able to offset the credits against the fees to cancel out the customer on the AR report.
  • Belinda Bekkers
    edited March 2016
    That unfortunately doesn't work. The adjustment note doesn't show up as it was done up using a different AR account.
  • Annette_8052353
    Annette_8052353 Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2016
    Can you re-route the adjustment note to go through the old AR account and still allocate the fees to the correct expense line?

• Belinda Bekkers
    edited March 2016
    The adjustment note was already in the old AR account. I also found that the bookkeeper had set up an Auditor Adjustment account to put through a lump sum to clear the old AR account.

I think I've figured out how to fix it up now. I set up a separate bookkeeping adjustment account (to keep it separate from the previous bookkeeper's workings) and used that for putting in an invoice to clear the adjustment note in the old AR account and an adjustment note to clear the statement charge in the new AR account (this all levels out to 0 in the adjustment account). Then I adjusted the old AR account by doing a statement charge between this account and the Auditor Adjustment account to ensure that the old AR account went back to 0. 

Clear as mud?
  • Start IT Consulting
    Start IT Consulting Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2016
    If you are still confused I may be able to help Please email me. Regards Heather
  • Belinda Bekkers
    edited March 2016
    I've worked out how to fix it. Thank you, Heather.