Reckon processing incorrect supplier payments

Danielle Phelan
Danielle Phelan Member Posts: 2
edited February 2020 in Accounts Hosted
When I process a supplier payment through Pay Bills, Reckon applies a lesser amount to the relevant invoice, leaving an outstanding balance of $0.99 as well as a supplier credit of $0.99. This is currently happening with only one supplier, but I have had this problem in the past. I've tried to apply the credit to the outstanding balance. Reckon lets me complete the process, but the outstanding balance & credit remain on my A/P Ageing report. Any ideas?

Comments

• Shane_6461899
    Shane_6461899 Reckon Staff Posts: 339 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2020
    Hi Danielle,

Check the bill, if any of the lines have a negative amount, that will be causing this.  It may not happen every time, but using negative lines on bills and invoices can cause this when you try to apply the payment.  If you find the bill does have a negative line on it, remove that line from the bill and save it.  Then create a bill-credit for that negative amount using the same account or item.  After you save the bill-credit you can then go into the pay bills screen and apply that bill-credit to the bill.  The end result is the same but you wont have this problem.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
    Shane.
  • Danielle Phelan
    Danielle Phelan Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2014
    Hi Shane, Your suggestion worked like a charm! Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Cheers, Danielle
  • Sally Vincent
    Sally Vincent Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2016
    Shane, if the negative lines relate to closed bills from 1-2 years ago (for a few creditors), can the same process be applied without changing financials or ruining reconciliations? Our company accountant has suggested not to mess with previous years transactions - Can we do a journal entry and apply it to outstanding amounts (both positive and negative!)?
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi sally,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

You can make changes to the original Bill so long as the total amount does not change.  The bill will maintain its link to the payment and as there is no change to the payment amount either, the Reconciliation will not be altered.  

Always start with backing up your current file and printing our the reconciliation reports that may be affected.  Check the end result back to the original printout to confirm that nothing has changed.  

If things don't go as planned you can restore your backup to bring you back to where you started.

Hope this helps.

regards,
    John

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi Sally,

Although a series of General Journals will bring the accounts around to where they should be they do not eliminate the cause of the problem - you still have a negative on a Bill.  

Often, the negative items can be replaced by creating similar items as ($ amount) Discounts - the amount will now appear on the form as a positive and bypass the incorrect processing because of the negative sign.   

regards,
    John