Why have US share prices stopped updating on Personal plus 2015?

Comments

• RavRav Administrator Posts: 10,781 Administrator
    edited February 2017
    Hi everyone,

Allow me to address some of the comments raised since my last update,

To make it completely clear, the cause of the issue is not attributed to a contractual arrangement with our data provider and was a genuinely unforeseen issue.

As previously outlined, once the most viable solution to this issue has been determined I will update you all on this and investigation is continuing on this matter.

From a development perspective, any solution that may be implemented requires a significant alteration to the program code and will not be a rapid deployment in the form of a patch.

We’re being upfront here so that we’re all on the same page in regard to expectations, I can fully understand that it’s a frustrating position at this point in time and we are working on this.

I sincerely apologise again for the frustration and inconvenience this is causing.

Rav
    edited December 2016
    Andrew, as I've said repeatedly we are still working on this issue. Once more information comes to hand I will share it here.
  • David HyndDavid Hynd Member Posts: 26
    edited June 2016
    Rav

So contractual issues are not the reason which infers the data feed is available but not accessible.  Has the format of the data feed changed?  Did the environment change for either Reckon or the data provider over the weekend of the 28th/29th? i.e. were workloads moved to a cloud provider, Was the link changed or routed in a different way?  What exactly is the problem?

It's hard to accept that the issue is a "genuinely unforeseen issue". Testing before changes is a normal part of release or infrastructure planning in IT.  Something has changed and usually when changes are going to be made customers are advised so they can test for the the impact of those changes on their systems.  

If your software provider for a critical part of your solution suddenly changed something so that your systems stopped working you'd be screaming blue murder if you hadn't been given adequate warning (see para 2).  You'd demand a full explanation.

Accordingly, I think we deserve to know the reason or reasons the download doesn't work any more.  Then we can decide if your timetable is reasonable or not.

David

• DecibelDecibel Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2016
    1. Purchase software due in part for its ability to auto update share prices
    2. Pay for software update for 2016
    3. After 5 months software no longer updates
    4. Problem described as beyond software provider's control
    5. Provided solution is to update manually (may as well go back to original financial spreadsheets)or wait for new software release in 2017 (and spend more money)
    6. Appropriate solution: provide software refund as not as described, or provide appropriate patch!
  • Frank tFrank t Member Posts: 16
    edited September 2016
    Hi Rav,
    Have not commented since my US prices stopped downloading on the 17/5. As this is a significant reason in me using personal plus I must say that now I am getting quite frustrated. Please give this a serious push to have the issue resolved. 
  • Len KLen K Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2016
    Hi Rav,
    This is the first post from me. I have put up with this problem and in my opinion Reckon are taking our money and are not providing the service we pay for. When people raise an issue such as the current one all they get is obfuscation. We don't want to start messing around with firewalls and anti virus programs, manual updates etc. etc.
    So PLEASE get your act together before your name becomes mud and your customers go elsewhere.
    Len K.
  • John CampbellJohn Campbell Member Posts: 261
    edited February 2017

Rav,

Rather that require us to purchase RPP 2017, why can't Reckon simply get an alternative source to update the information on the share price server that is being used to supply us users the price data.

You stated it was not a contractual restriction, so presumably the data server that RPP uses to provide us the updates is still available and all that is required is an alternative provider to update the RPP data server.

The excuses being provided just shouldn't be an issue, unless it is a contractual issue and Reckon has lost access to the data server (and has for a while known this would happen).

John

edited June 2016
    Based on the large number of people suddenly and at the same time having issues, we know it is not a firewall or antivirus issue. Reckon have already told us it is an issue with their software "that is beyond their control" and it will be fixed by using PP2017. Now really this is taking the p**s!

What we want to know is:
    1. When will a patch be forthcoming or
    2. How we obtain a refund for software that no longer performs as promised?

edited February 2017
    Hello everyone,

I can fully appreciate the frustration that is being expressed on this thread in relation to this issue however as I've mentioned investigation is still ongoing and I will have further word on this to share next week.

I have outlined the cause of the issue already and contrary to the assertions made on this thread is not contractual. The data source is no longer available, this was not pre-planned nor foreseen.

The nature of the issue means that any potential solution requires a comprehensive alternation to the program code. As I've stated, this cannot be delivered rapidly in the form of a patch, I fully understand this comes as an immense source of frustration and disappointment for all affected however I will have further word on the course forward from here next week.

Thanks
    Rav
    edited June 2016
    I only upgraded to PP2016 six months ago.

The last thing I want to do is manually update stock prices for 6 months and then pay for a software upgrade to PP2017 to get software that works as stated again as one of its advertised investment features:

"Stock Price Quotes Download

The Download Quotes functionality in the Investing Centre which provides stock price quotes for your security portfolio has been enhanced and moved to a new technology platform. You will continue to receive the share price downloads if you upgrade to Reckon Accounts Personal range 2015"

"Download share prices daily from the ASX and NZX to stay up-to-date with the performance of your portfolio."

If the "data source is no longer available" then the software is not as advertised currently on the Reckon web page.
    edited November 2016

Rav,

Either Reckon still have access to the price download site or not ??

If not, how can that not be contractual ?

If you do have access, why can't you install an alternative service to update the data in the same format ? Then we can use RPP 2016 and see the price data as we did before.

The suggestion that we need RPP 2017 looks rubbish to me.

Even if you have lost the download site address, I am surprised if the site could not be replicated and the web address updated in RPP 2016.

Start feeding us some sensible answers.

John

edited November 2016

I do have some knowledge of this process and providing this data is not a difficult problem. I have written my own local update service for AU stocks. I tell the program how many years (not days!!) back it wants to go and it updates all codes that are missing price information within this date range. No 7 day limit !! The program then produces a .csv file for new, incomplete or incorrect data that is in the .qph file.

All the program needs is a set of price files for each year that is being reviewed. The ASX price history for 3 character codes is about 15 mb for a year's data. There are a number of sites that provide this data, which I can incorporate into my database when required, including All Ords and ASX 200. It looks like I shall now have to expand this for the US codes I have been reviewing.

I wrote this solution quicker than it took Reckon to fix one of many losses of data 18 months ago, so I am amazed at the skill level that Reckon is bringing to this problem.

John

edited November 2016

Andrew,

There are at least three types of data feeds that RPP use.

1. the ASX and NZ codes which are kept for only 7 days.

2. the currency data which I understand is only the latest exchange rate data, stored in RPP as the date it is downloaded.

3. the "Historical price" data, which is basically the US indices. These can update over a much longer period (could be 6 months), as I have had incorrect (zero) prices for Nasdaq replicated.

I am not familiar with how prices are updated for companies that are listed on other than the ASX.

I think that up to now the US indices and codes have been taken from the Quicken US site and possibly that has now been lost to Reckon users.

We never had the choice of being Quicken or Reckon users but I think the wrong choice was thrust upon us.

John

edited June 2016
    Rav. Can we get a straight answer as to why the data feed service not longer works?

Either Reckon knew the data feed service was coming to an end or something was going to change in the environment for either party such that the data feed potentially would no longer work.  

If the former, when was Reckon advised?  If the latter, when did Reckon know and what testing was done?

David

• Frank tFrank t Member Posts: 16
    edited September 2016
    Hi Rav, I am not so interested as to why this happened but when it will be fixed. It has now been out for 3 weeks. Also a statement on an extension to our subscriptions would also be appropriate. Say, extend by the time out +50%. Gives Reckon a real incentive to fix it plus maybe will retain some of your increasingly dissatisfied customers,
    edited February 2017
    Hi everyone,

Work has been occurring throughout the week regarding this issue and is continuing as we speak today.
    As I've said before this will not be a quick fix, and I fully understand that is of little consolation to those of you participating on this thread.

I won't be commenting on compensation etc at this point as work is ongoing at this stage, and once I have a clear picture on the course forward from here I will raise that subject for discussion with the team.

Bear with us, I appreciate that you're all disappointed and frustrated currently and I sincerely apologise.

Thank you all for your patience thus far.

Rav
    edited June 2016
    Guys

I don't think this will end well for us as a community.  Reckon's focus is not on us or this product line.  We're a legacy product with an annuity stream that is probably declining, if it were otherwise we'd see enhancements and immediate resourcing to solve issues such as the one we've just seen.

My bet is this will not get fixed so get used to manually importing or updating US prices.  I use finance.yahoo.com for price imports via Excel CSV files.  I also use Yahoo for charting as it's much more flexible than anything in Reckon PP.

I'm also sure that the annual subscription price will not be reduced and continue to increase over the years.

I look forward to Reckon proving me wrong.

David
    edited February 2017
    The next update I have in relation to this issue will be early next week. I will share it with the thread as soon as I can.

Thanks,
    Rav
    edited December 2016
    Keep the thread on topic Andrew.