Welcome to the brand new Reckon Community!

For some tips on getting started check out the 'About Reckon Community' section

Why have US share prices stopped updating on Personal plus 2015?

13»

Comments

• DecibelDecibel Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2017
    Not just the Aussies. PP2106 is not updating any stock prices but happily pulls down currencies.
    Looks like either someone did not pay their bill or the free ride was discovered and termintated!

• Narky OneNarky One Member Posts: 69
    edited December 2016
    I am able to have my PP2016 update the Aussie stock prices...
    1. Turn off all automatic updating (I suspect the broken US stock price update gets stuck and prevents PP from even attempting the processing for the Aussie one).
    2. From the menu: Investing | Online Activities | Download Quotes. Voila.
  • gazza73gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 1,438 ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, Narky One.  That is the right process to still get CURRENCY plus AUSSIE STOCKS,  by deliberately unticking the US stocks which are presently at issue.   But for those who weren't interested in US stocks,  this approach permits business as usual for the other two.   Correct.   It's a good workaround for those who aren't dealing in US stocks, but still want daily downloads of the other two.

Gary
  • RavRav Administrator Posts: 10,750 Administrator
    edited February 2017
    Hi everyone,

As I've mentioned previously, the Development team have been continuing work regarding this issue and have formulated a potential solution which bypasses the need for a code change.

Can I please ask that you follow the steps outlined below -

Steps to fix the issue: -

1) Close Reckon Accounts Personal

2) Download http://downloads.reckon.com.au/qwutil.dll

3) Copy the above file into your Reckon Personal 2015 or 2016 installation folder (by default this would be C:\Program Files\Reckon Accounts Personal)

4) When you get the message saying qwutil.dll already exists. Do you want to replace it?' select 'Yes'

5) Once the file has been saved, open Reckon Accounts Personal and you will be able to download US Share Prices.

Please let me know if you encounter any issues with the US downloads after completing the steps above.

Thanks

Rav

• David HyndDavid Hynd Member Posts: 26
    edited June 2016
    Thanks Rav.  Worked for me.

David
  • Dave RHDave RH Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2016
    Thanks Rav took a while but at least it is working again! Let us hope that is the last gremlin that we will get.

• DecibelDecibel Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2016
    Replacing the dll in PP2016 worked for me as well. Thanks for the solution Rav.
    edited December 2016
    Good news, Rav !

replacement:  qwutil.dll  now sorts out reaching Markit On Demand late today
    over at 209.234.234.183.   All good - with history too.

Gary
    edited December 2016
    My system [RAPP 2016, Windows 10 Pro] has two qwutil.dll's :-
    1. In C:\Program Files (x86)\Reckon Accounts Personal, date 13/10/15, size 3,623,448
    2. In C:\Program Files (x86)\Reckon Home Inventory Manager, date 23/07/14, size 3,584,000.
    Your instructions say to replace the one in "Accounts Personal".
    Should we also replace the one in "Home Inventory Manager"?

edited December 2016
    I downloaded http://downloads.reckon.com.au/qwutil.dll using Edge. Edge said:
    edited December 2016
    Narky One

That's OK.  That's a standard warning by most browser programs (depending on the paranoia setting for secuity/.blocking/protection desires by the site setup) .

Any file that can potentially carry a malware (virus, spyware, adware etc etc)  infection,  or execute code in any way (such as a  exe   or    dll)  will trigger a warning to protect you.

For years,  the safe practice of NOT emailing  DOC and XLS  files that often carried macro virus in the old days, were also warned/blocked.   Those days have moved on, with the main interest being keystroke logger and all manner of white collar crime spyware like invasive code to gouge your contact lists and record your browser logins and so forth.   

Against that desired protection, many an ISP and mail server provider leans towards wanting to distribute email and data irrespective of the underlying risks, because the  average consumer feels they are entitled to just get whatever email is being sent to them.  Then the anti-spam question arises,  and users can't decide whether they want to get incorrectly blocked email as spam, or reduce their clutter/junk/spam.

ALl these combinations of prtection, detection , fear and restriction, all set at Windows level,  email level, browser level and then added protection levels of antiXXX tools like McAfee, Norton, MalwareBytes, Kapersky, AVG, Webroot..... thee list is very long.... they all get to have their day in deciding whether your nxt action is a safe one or not.

Enough of the theory....   You have to trust the SOURCE, and you have to ensure you are really fetching the file from the alleged source it purports to be,  In this case of qwutil.dll,  so long as it is a bonafide email from a known trusted source  (Rav),  then you proceed.

Cheers

Gary Pope
    m: 0408994799 
    e:  [email protected]
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac...
    "Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
         independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant"

• RavRav Administrator Posts: 10,750 Administrator
    edited December 2016
    Replacing the DLL within the Accounts Personal folder will be sufficient.
  • Len KLen K Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2016
    Halleluya!!!
  • Shane SmithShane Smith Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2
    I didn't even realise the U.S. prices were not updating until a couple of days ago, and even after contacting Reckon the support guy could not point me to this thread. 

Why can't Reckon email all users (they have my email address) and let them know there is a problem and what the solution is?

My price updates have now resumed but the whole process is not satisfactory.  
  • Glenn CGlenn C Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2016
    Thank you Rav - this worked fine for me and I can now download the US stock prices.