Error messages when reinstalling QuickPOS and Quickbooks 07/08 on a new PC

Graham_8299999
Graham_8299999 Member Posts: 7
edited August 2016 in Point of Sale
Hi All, I know this is very old software but hoping someone can help. I have recently picked up a client that has been using the same hardware and software for 10 years. I am slowly upgrading them but don't want to change everything at once as they won't cope.

I've built them a new PC for their admin, running Win10. I installed Quickbooks Pro 07/08 without drama and then went to install QuickPOS 07/08 (administrator) on their too. I was able to map a drive to the QuickPOS data files on the 'counter' pc which is still running XP. 

QuickPOS administrator installed fine and I was able to point it to the Quickbooks data file and the QBPOS DB file on the XP machine, but then I received a series of error messages. 

I was hoping someone could enlighten me on those message and possibly how to resolve them?

Screenshots attached.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Graham_8299999
    edited July 2016
    Hi Andrew,

After the first failed attempt I ran it in 'Vista' compatibility mode, as that was the current version back then, and I ran as administrator. I received the exact same error messages though.
  • Graham_8299999
    edited July 2016
    Thank you, Andrew. I will give that a try. Worst case I will roll back to Win7. 

Cheers.
  • Graham_8299999
    edited July 2016
    Thanks Andrew. I post my progress, good or bad.

• Graham_8299999
    edited July 2016
    I've downgraded to Win7 (clean install) and attempted to connect QuickPOS again. I had the same error messages. I get the feeling that the first error is key to solving this problem. Does anyone know what I need to do to resolve this?
    Thanks in advance.

• Alister
    Alister Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2016
    Hi Graham, You may find that the old POS administrator is not finding the mapped network drive, even though you can see it in windows. Do a search on microsoft re administrator not seeing mapped network drives. You have to enter a D-Word line into .he registry and then it will work. cheers Alister. Windows 7 solution from microsoft. To work around this problem, configure the EnableLinkedConnections registry value. This value enables Windows Vista and Windows 7 to share network connections between the filtered access token and the full administrator access token for a member of the Administrators group. After you configure this registry value, LSA checks whether there is another access token that is associated with the current user session if a network resource is mapped to an access token. If LSA determines that there is a linked access token, it adds the network share to the linked location. To configure the EnableLinkedConnections registry value Click Start, type regedit in the Start programs and files box, and then press ENTER. Locate and then right-click the registry subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System. Point to New, and then click DWORD Value. Type EnableLinkedConnections, and then press ENTER. Right-click EnableLinkedConnections, and then click Modify. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
  • Graham_8299999
    edited July 2016
    Thanks for your help so far. I think we are getting to the source of the problem.

I did the regedit, thanks Alister but still no joy, exact same error messages.

I tried your idea Andrew and that got a result. By creating a new company file for QB 07/08 and then a new QuickPOS DB file I was able to get them both to connect with drama, so the PC and the installs appear fine. Then I tried to connect the new POS DB to the existing data file for Quickbooks, and I got the same error messages. So it appears to be an issue with the Quickbooks file.

I'm still convinced that the first error message is causing the following ones. I was hoping that an account in the chart of accounts had been altered (like Bank account to expense account) but no joy there. 

Any other idea where I might look in QB, accounts that directly link to the POS for example? Its my first time with a QuickPOS environment so I am not certain what info they share.

Thanks.

• Graham_8299999
    edited July 2016
    Thanks Andrew. I will compare the two files. Whatever it is, it must be some initial setup issue as they sync the two files each week.

Getting closer :)