Upgrade/Backup too slow

Tracey Little
Tracey Little Member Posts: 23
edited July 2020 in Accounts Hosted
I've been sitting here for ohh about an hour wanting to upgrade.  The back up has taken approximately an hour and half so far.  I'm sitting on 96% done.  It probably moves every 10 mins if I am lucky.  It's now 6.20pm and i have no choice but to sit and wait for this to happen.  Why is the back up taking so long! 

Comments

• David Carroll
    David Carroll Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2016
    How big is the data file. whats your pc/laptop condition? Win 7-8 or older XP maybe? RAM ? these will make a difference, ie computer grunt and data size, or maybe a data file problem, did you run a "verify" with the backup?
  • Charlotte Annabelle Little
    Charlotte Annabelle Little Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2016
    I don't think it's too big.. We running it in the cloud . I think it's our internet connection. Gave up and am logged in at home now with faster internet speed and it seems to be going a tad faster. I've never experienced a quick backup . Always had to do re-builds etc. if this was done in work hours we would lose a heck of a lot of time :-( . Thanks for your comments David
    edited July 2016
    Oh and Charlotte is Tracey btw. I have daughters Facebook on phone and it logs in automatically with her fb. Anyway it's still Tracey ! :-p
    edited July 2016
    It's performing a data verification right now after choosing to back up..
    edited July 2016
    *sigh
    edited July 2016
    Ok so this is bizarre.  I went to rebuild data and it says it has to back up first.  So it won't verify prior to backing up.  But it will back up prior to rebuilding data.
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Tracey, you also have the option to select Verify Data as an alternative to Rebuild Data.  However, from the sound of, running that will probably just tell you that you have a problem and need to rebuild your data.  

By the way, in days gone by when there was only a desktop version, we were told to rebuild data three times whenever we were doing an upgrade.  I still do that with the Hosted version.  In the past I have seen errors in files which only went away after doing three rebuilds.  Unfortuantelly, from the sound of things, you might have to take two days off work in order to do that :(
    John L G
    edited July 2016
    Haha yes John. Thanks for advice. Once this initial back up is finished (the last 20% has taken an hour - sitting at 97%.. Ooo just went to 98% ) I will attempt to rebuild a few times and see if this helps. I think I'll attempt to take some time off in lieu haha. Thanks John
    edited July 2020
    So close ! Wish me luck image
    edited July 2016
  • John Graetz
    edited December 2016
    One thing about it Andrew, there is plenty of time to feel that speed!!  John L G
    edited July 2016
    Haha I can vouch for that John
  • John Graetz
    edited December 2016
    Tracey - I hope you are keeping track of the time.  You may be able to submit the end result to the Guinness Book of Records :)  John L G
  • Tracey Little
    edited July 2016
    Too true Johm! It's been 5 1/2 hours so far with no real progress! See attached pic of a failed attempt. It finally backed up but then this happened when rebuilding ... Currently trying again.
  • Tracey Little
    edited July 2016
    This is chaos!!! I think i've stuffed something up.  30 mins wait on hold for Reckon. Awesome
  • Tracey Little
    edited July 2016
    So I've restored the back up I made last night.  Though other people in the company appear to be using a different source of company file and what they are entering is not showing up on my system version.  arrgghhhhhhhh
  • Tracey Little
    edited July 2016
    This is so ridicolous.  Just for some tax tables.  Surely Reckon should be able to just push these to our system ?? Without all this crap!
  • Tracey Little
    edited July 2016
    Does anyone know: Does "every user" need to follow the Upgrade procedures or just the admin!
  • Tracey Little
    edited July 2016
    Yes Hosted Andrew.  Well I restored my back up file at work this morning and did the upgrade but it appears that my work colleague is working on a different file.. And what he is entering isn't appearing on my system.... I've finally got hold of someone at Reckon and am waiting to see what kind of mess has occurred. :(
  • SR
    SR Member Posts: 15
    edited July 2016
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled IS ANYONE HAVING A PROBLEM BACKING UP THEIR FILE??????. Hello Community,

I have just tried to back up my file. It advised me there was some issue with passwords..... then told me I could not do a back up.

Is anyone else having an issue?

Not really what I want to see at this time of the year :(

Thanks,

Sarah
  • Tracey Little
    edited February 2017
    I am done.  Ive been on the phone with a tech support person for over half an hour now.  I am a very patient person but I am at my wits end right now. I am also reasonably computer IT literate but I am completely lost with what this person is telling me or trying to do.  There is a language barrier.  I am not confident at all that there is going to be resolve.
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited February 2017
    Hi everyone,

I'm really sorry to hear you've been experiencing delays in performing backups with Reckon Accounts Hosted. Our servers are working overtime to keep up with the increased load on the network at this time of year.

I fully appreciate that any form of delay at this time is less than ideal, please bear with us.

Rav

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited December 2016
    Hi Tracey,

Are you able to give us a brief rundown on the steps the team have asked you try?

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Tracey Little
    edited July 2016
    Yes i think we did have a few copies happening.  I THINK it has been resolved. 
    I just need to confirm that 2 other users are using the same file as well as the accountants.

And yes the fact that it took 30 mins on hold to get my call taken tells me that others are having some trouble as well.   I'm sure part of this was my fault but the resolve shouldn't be that hard.  And either should the actual upgrade.  I would prefer to be sent some discs to just update the tax tables.  Not all this complicated upgrade stuff.  Isn't this what we are supposed to be paying for ? Remote updates etc?  If Apple can push updates on to us, surely an accounting system could work the same way.

Vent over and yeah Andrew I shall start fake smiling... You have to laugh don't you!

I felt for the lady consultant in some ways.  She asked at the end of the call to complete the survey.  I said in a very calm way, look it's probably in your best interests I don't fill it out.  I spent 6 hours last night and this morning at work attempting to carry out this upgrade. No offence..... She proceeded to tell me that it's about her performance on the phone, not the software issue! hahaha

• Tracey Little
    edited July 2016
    Rav?  After 6 hours yesterday and this morning, there is no way I can recollect what is happening.  I just rang and asked the consultant to fix it.  That took over half an hour and I'm still not 100% convinced.  The lady had all my log in details etc so surely it should be clear what needed to happen??  Anyway.. hopefully it's fixed now but Rav something REALLY needs to be done about these upgrades.  I know I'm no the only one to experience difficulties. The software just feels so unstable. Just being honest here.
  • John Graetz
    edited July 2020
    Rav.  One point to note is that this problem had been ongoing for Tracey, from early last night and was still ongoing around 10:00 pm.  I know that you said a few months ago when we reported long report creation times with superannuation, that it would be a good idea to log out of Reckon, and then re-open in a new tab, because we would likely then get onto a new server.  The problem with a backup though, is that it is probably impossible to stop it in its tracks unless perhaps you advocate forcing a shutdown by closing the tab.  Would that work or just make things worse?  John L G
  • Tracey Little
    edited July 2016
    Rav, you need more/bigger servers. That would be my guess...
  • Lesley Xerri
    Lesley Xerri Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2017
    Hi Tracey,
    I had a client's data file do the same thing EVERY time they went to do a backup - which is often - they import iif files weekly and we back before every import.  This happened on both desktop and hosted. Just randomly, I removed 2 of the users, then performed a rebuild, then the file behaved itself during backup.  This may not solve your problem, but it solved mine.
    Regarding the restore and multiple files, when you restore the datafile it restores to the Q drive, not the share drive, this is why you have multiple files.
    my question is - why did you restore the file?
    Hope it all works out for you.
    Lesley

• Tracey Little
    edited July 2016
    John can i just add.. it was till 2am :-S 

Also when it's backing up on my end?  If i click anywhere in the window the backup ceases and stops responding. 

• Tracey Little
    edited July 2016
    Hi Lesley,

Thanks for your advice.  Glad it's not just me.

I think QB told me i had to rebuild because it wasn't backing up properly. Also the verification that was attempted never worked either.

I almost feel like our file is corrupted or something  :(  Perhaps when things calm down I will contact support and hopefully find someone that can look at this.

Thanks again Lesley!