Personal Plus, Portfolio View, 'Day Change' and 'Day Change %' columns do't update when I Update sha

peter.lang
peter.lang Member Posts: 87
I am using Reckon Personal Plus, 2015 R1 on Windows 8.1. The QDF file is 29 MB.  For the past few weeks, the 'Portfolio' view, columns 'Day Change' and 'Day Change %' have not been updating when I update the share prices (which I do daily).  I have done Validate many times and done Super-Validate tonight (before I downloaded the share prices).  These have not fixed the problem although they do update the columns if I have already downloaded today's prices.  Also, if I select an earlier date and then return to today's date the columns are updated.  How can I fix this problem?

Comments

• Live4life
    Live4life Member Posts: 27
    edited June 2016
    I am also using Reckon Personal Plus 2015, although with Win7. I have had the same problem with my daily updates. When I click 'Download Quotes,' the 'One Step Update Status' box opens, however, there are no changes in my Portfolio table made when the download completes.

Interestingly, when I close Reckon PP and reopen it, today's figures have appeared without me downloading again.

I did receive a message that my online licence expires on 6 August, and wondered if this has anything to do with the problem, or is this just coincidental.

Does Reckon know the answer to this problem?
  • peter.lang
    edited February 2017
    Live4life,,

Thank you.  It's helpful to know I am not alone with this problem.  I hope Reckon can advise us how to fix it.
  • Live4life
    edited February 2017
    Hi Peter,
    you may be interested in the link https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/pp2016-share-prices-not-updating as I have introduced our continuing and as yet unacknowledged problem to it.

It does seem that we are not the only ones having difficulties; currently, the complete lack of ASX share downloads is concerning many others, with some people also experiencing our related irritant.

• peter.lang
    edited December 2016
    Live4life,

Thank you.  I've been waiting for and expecting Reckon to answer and provide a solution.  It's very disappointing they haven't.

My download was even worse tonight.  I haven't been able to get today's results to show on Portfolio View at all.  I've tried everything I can think of.
  • peter.lang
    edited February 2017
    I have now been able to download Friday 8 July share prices into Reckon 2015 PP.  However, the problem I raised (began in May 2016) has still not been fixed.  in fact, Reckon has not responded to this post.  Can someone from Reckon please tell me what is being done to fix this.  i am not the only person who has been having this same problem since May.
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited November 2019
    Peter Lang and Live4live  (ONLY).

Can you confirm whether you have:

a)  unticked the request of any USA stocks  (even if you don't even want to deal in US stocks)

b)  been made aware of the need of PP2016 needing a qwutil.dll file to correct the 'update' behaviour that came about on May 25th when USA connections allegedly changed, needing said qwutil.,dll

c)  BUT:  that qwutil.dll may likely be a solution for PP2016, and you are running PP2015 which I cannot comment on compatibility.  Perhaps Rav's team will correct this query separately here.

But try (a), so that your updates fully run.    But if you also deal in US stocks, well this of course will NOT be a good approach to your specific issue.

It may or may not be related to your portfolio VALUE recalculation,  but what we've observed since May 25th with the US share is (now resolved for PP2016 users with qwutil.dll update),  is that the failure to conclude US share calcs, lead on to NOT FINISHING other important calcs.   Your approach of rolling dates back and forth and restarting,  may be triggering a re-calculation of just the portfolio aspect, without calling up a specific UPDATE that is confronted with the issues above.

Does that throw any light on the SYMPTOM you are personally experiencing, along with Live4life ?

Gary
  • peter.lang
    edited August 2019
    Gary,

Thank you for replying.  It's been frustrating and worrying that it's taken this long for my comment to be noticed.

I am not IT literate.  I don't know how to uncheck the USA stocks.  I did nothing to change any settings when this problem occurred.  Because others have had the same issue and starting at about the same time, I suspect it was not caused by something I have done inadvertently in my Reckon PP 2015.  

I have no IT skills and would not want to trust any IT tech try to fix it for me.  I am seeking to have Reckon fix the problem.

I do not know how to do anything with the "qwutil.dll file".  Furthermore, I couldn't risk doing anything like that.  I have 25 years of valuable information in our file and I would not risk corrupting it by experimenting.  I am asking for Reckon to please fix the problem, through an update if necessary.

I agree that "[My] approach of rolling dates back and forth and restarting,  [seems to] be triggering a re-calculation of just the portfolio aspect".  When I update share prices the updated shares account value is displayed in the Account balances pane on the left of the screen.  So, I know that prices have come in.  But the Portfolio View does not update until I do one of the three things I mentioned in an earlier comment to recalculate and refresh the Portfolio View.

In response to yo9ur three questions:
    a)  No.  I don't know how

b) I was not aware of this until I saw comments in response to comments on the User Forum in the past few days.  But I wouldn't dare try anything like this myself.  This assess the risk is far too high

c) ?

I can't afford to take any risk.
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Peter

(d)   Do you have any investment in USA based stocks?

If so, then based on John's comment above,  qwutil.dll fix may be the answer.
    If NOT,  then your default settings of likely selecting ALL stocks when downloading latest process, WITHOUT the qwutil.dll fix since 25th May,  may be the cause of your problem.

As for 'risk' and 'handling by OT" - I understand - but regardless, the analysis of a solution needs to be spelt out and then confirmed.

Your answers indicate that you weren't aware of the USA download issue of 25th May, and that you've made no change to remedy that,  and I suspect it is related per (d) above.

Gary

• peter.lang
    edited December 2016
    Gary Pope

Thank you for additional comment.

(d)  No.  I do not have any stocks that are bought and sold on on a US exchange or in USD.

I  confirm I was not " aware of the USA download issue of 25th May, and that [I've] made no change to remedy that.

• gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Peter Lang (and anybody else NOT dealing in US shares, but not yet updated to qwutil.dll)......

With full awareness of your concerns about updating practices,  you should be made aware, nonetheless, that the ONE-STEP-UPDATE button offers a SETTING option where you can decide to deselect stock items that are from overseas (along with overseas USA indices).  With those off the list,  then the UPDATE process will not wander off to the USA and fail due to you not having the latest qwutil.dll

Gary?
  • peter.lang
    edited December 2016
    Gary,

Thank you.  However, I don't understand what you are suggesting should be done to fix the problem nor do I understand all the potential consequences.

The " ONE-STEP-UPDATE button offers an [Update] SETTING[s] option".  This has two checkboxes: 
    1. "Download stock & managed fund quotes" - this box is ticked.  
    2. "Download currency exchange rates"  - this box is not checked

Beside the "Download stock & managed fund quotes" item is a "Select Quotes" hyperlink.  When I click on that there is a tab "Quotes".  All the securities listed are ones I own or have owned in the past, plus AXO (All Ords Index).  No US securities are included.

Peter Lang

• Live4life
    edited July 2016
    Hello Gary and Peter,

Peter confirms my observations and experiences with this problem of the portfolio page not refreshing with the newly downloaded share price data until a new date is selected and then returning to today, or closing and reopening Reckon.

I passed on the observation to try the qwutil.dll download to correct this problem after reading about it in the conversation PP2016 Share Prices NOT updating where John Norris suggested it as a possible fix to this current problem of the portfolio page not refreshing after a download. Unfortunately, some people took it to mean a fix to the share price download problem.

I am using Reckon Accounts 2015, on a 64bit computer, running Win 7 Pro.

It is interesting that only two people have raised the problem, but it does confirm that a problem exists. Probably it is not just our ways of working with the programme, as neither party made any changes to their programme just before the 'fault' occurred. It seems to me to be a abnormality within the programme itself.

Thanks for looking at this for us, as it is something that has garnered no attention for 3-weeks.

p.s.
    No, I did not change to the new qwutil.dll

• peter.lang
    edited December 2016
    I think a there was at least one more person mentioned they had the same problem - in that case I think it was in Home and Business.  They were also seeking a solution.
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Live4life.  Careful......

Please state whether you were referring to the US stock price failure of May 25th  or the AUST share price update failure of Thursday 7th July.   

1.  The qwutil.dll fixed the former US share price issue.
    2.   Without applying the qwutil.dll fix, then your program, if still selecting any US pricing,  will have a failure to continue updating other things - such as the AUS prices , as I understand it.

So they are somewhat two problems if you haven't installed the qwutil.dll fix in PP2016..  And until someone officially declares just how many other versions like PP2015 (as suggested by John is concerned,) then with respect,  we're not sure what to suggest in that scenario.  Other threads have indicated that the qwutil.dll is a Personal PLUS issue, and not related to Home Inventory or Home and Business products for instanbce, abut again, we await the official position.   But for those with PP20xx who have NOT put in qwutil.dll and refuse to untick US shares, I dare say there are other consequences, and that is, I believe what Peter Lang is experiencing as a result.  Sorry to be blunt about it,  but the exact details really need to be spelt out.   There have been THREE different update issues in last 7 months.   Currency updates,  AUS share price updates and US share price updates.   ANd unless the overall position for any one client is fully spelt out, then there will no doubt be further unknowns as is this thread, in my opinion.  at this point.

Gary

• peter.lang
    edited December 2016
    Gary,

I don't understand what you mean by "refuse to untick US shares".  I explained in my previous comment what I see in the pulldown menu on the Shares Update button.  I don;'t see anything about US shares.
  • peter.lang
    edited December 2016
    Gary,

There must be hundreds of other users who are struggling with these problems and don't know about this User Forum.  Telling the few who are following this thread how to fix the issue doesn't fix it for everyone and also risks suggesting untested solutions which could corrupt our files and make the problem much worse.  Surely, we should be seeking a fix for all users, not just a few individuals who have been told to try this User Forum.  Anyway, I am extremely reluctant to make changes to the program myself.  I'd like Reckon to do it, not me fiddling around with things I know nothing about.
  • Tony Grima
    Tony Grima Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2016
    I have been having this issue since Thursday, I managed to get Thursday's prices of Friday after a Fix, then Fridays prices failed to load, tonight I have managed to get Fridays prices however Monday's is now not loading. Why do we have this issue time and time again this is the 4th time I have experienced this over the last 2 years. How difficult can this be to get it right? Frustrated and fed up with incompetence. See also https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/pp2016-share-prices-not-updating for more posts on this issue. Aus Prices not US
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Peter Lang.

The settings I was referring to.   See the blue colored 'select quotes' in the One Step Update screen.  

imagei

Clicking on that, you get a chance to hand pick just the things you want price updates downloaded for.  IN my example, I've just left three AUST shares:  NAB, RKN  and TLS  (purely examples).  But the main point, was to deselect ones like "GOOG"  for instance from USA.  or the INDICES, despite them being perhaps unavailable or out of contract.

But I do acknowledge your other points above, and respect them - I'm just showing where the issue is, for the DEV team to get answers in whatever means they choose to do so.

Gary
  • Live4life
    edited July 2016
    Gary,

With all due respect to all the help you give, I have only ever, I repeat, ever, talked about the qwutil.dll as possibly fixing the issue of the portfolio page refreshing, i.e. the share prices do download (AUS) but do not appear (neither do the results of same) until I either change to another date and then return to the current day's date, or, until I close and reopen Reckon. I saw the initial reference to the qwutil.dll in a post made by John, who also had in mind fixing this specific problem at this time.

The downloading of AUS or US stoke prices was never a concern in this context.

Unfortunately, a number of people did not read what I had written and jumped into the conclusion that this fix was for their only problem of share prices not downloading at all.

As for your latest advice, as I have never had any US shares, there has never been the need to deselect US shares. All my shares are AUS, thus there are no other shares listed for me to deselect.
  • peter.lang
    edited December 2016
    Gary,

Thank you.  I explained in a reply to you 3 hours ago that I'd done what you are saying in your latest comment.  I have no US shares.  My comment seems to have disappeared.  This is what I said in my comment (and it was displayed on the web site - perhaps it has been deleted):

"Thank you.  However, I don't understand what you are suggesting should be done to fix the problem nor do I understand all the potential consequences.

The " ONE-STEP-UPDATE button offers an [Update] SETTING[s] option".  This has two checkboxes: 
    1. "Download stock & managed fund quotes" - this box is ticked.  
    2. "Download currency exchange rates"  - this box is not checked

Beside the "Download stock & managed fund quotes" item is a "Select Quotes" hyperlink.  When I click on that there is a tab "Quotes".  All the securities listed are ones I own or have owned in the past, plus AXO (All Ords Index).  No US securities are included."
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Peter and Live4life

All your points are valid.  For the record,  I've deliberately restored the old, bad qwutil.dll to show what happens for you.  I have only one AUS share ticked, as per the example earlier tonight:  "TLS.    With the improved qwutil.dll,  it goes through the motions of trying to update the AUS share price.  See the top line of the result here:

But if I do a system restore, and bring back the BAD qwutil.dll and run the same test one with the same setting seeking just one entry: TLS

Notice how there was no attempt to update the sole AUS share I sought.

Now to your thread.   If shares are not updating because of lack of qwutil.dll,  all I am suggesting (to RECKON:  Rav and DEV team)   is,  what could be the consequence of other post-update functions that need to recalculate matters in the database be when:

a)  the fix for US shares in qwutil.dll is not even present
    and
    b)  other extenuating circumstances such as the present inability to reach AUS shares anyway (despite the one-step update saying that a 'quote for a security'  has been attempted.

Similar situations arise with the way portfolio figures get sub-totalled depending on what PRICE HISTORY item is in fact in the price history table of the database, as it seems in this other thread during this situation.  This is demonstrated at this thread:

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/personal-plus-2016-adding-of-totals-just-dead-wrong-can-i...

But again, we need official clarification on these observations.  IE: visibility of the symptoms as best we can describe and illustrate them.

Gary
  • peter.lang
    edited December 2016
    Gary,

I think you may be misunderstanding my issue.  I have not been having a problem with share price downloads over the period from May since the problem began (except on 8 July).  Throughout that time (except 8 May and perhaps one or two other times, I don't recall now)), the share prices have been downloading OK.  I can see that because the balance of the accounts updates (as displayed in the Account Balances Pane on the left of the screen).

My problem is with the columns in the Portfolio View no updating.  It seems to me (from what I an see) your two screen shots of the Portfolio View included in your comment are the same.  They show the same prices for NAB, RKN, TLS.  

To restate a different way, to deal with my issue of the Portfolio View not updating (every day since the problem began in May), please ignore the share price download issue that occurs occasionally (like 8 May and for several months a year or so ago).  Let's just focus on why the Portfolio View is not updating when the share price downloads have been successful.
  • Live4life
    edited July 2016
    Gary,

I wrote essentially the same, with different words, as this last post from Peter in my last post.

"the share prices do download (AUS) but do not appear (neither do the results of same) until I either change to another date and then return to the current day's date, or, until I close and reopen Reckon."

I am still using the original qwutil.dll.

Your help is very much appreciated, however, I believe that sometimes it may seem confused and made more complicated due to all the problems that PP appears to have, especially with share price downloads.

Thanks for pursuing the matter, for it does exist, it has existed for 4-weeks, and has only recently been acknowledged (although not yet by Reckon).

Live4life

• Neil_6428218
    Neil_6428218 Reckon Staff Posts: 88 Reckon Staff
    edited December 2016
    Hi Peter & Live4Life,

I'm looking into this issue now but so far haven't been able to reproduce it.

Does it happen for all Shares that you are tracking or only some of them?

If you go into the Sample File and download Share Prices, does it have the same issue?

Regards
    Neil

• st_6872571
    st_6872571 Member Posts: 79
    edited July 2016
    It happens to all shares, for me, ASX listed shares (don't have any US shares).   As Peter and Live4Life have mentioned above, it's been like this for a few months now.   
  • peter.lang
    edited December 2016
    Neil,

Yes.  It happens for all the shares shares I am tracking.  The columns in Portfolio view do not update when the share prices are downloaded.  The problem has happened every day since it began in May.  I first thought the problem was because I was using too much memory and so it was not updating.  So I didn't report it when it initially occurred.  I tried Super Validate and this didn't fix it.  Then I became concerned I had data corruption.  I thought perhaps the file was getting too big (29 MB).  However, now I know others have had the same problem and starting about the same time as mine.

I don't know how to do Sample File and I am very scared to experiment with my file.  I have masses of very important historical information in this file since 1991.  I can't risk losing it.

• Neil_6428218
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for that Peter & Steven, i'll continue to investigate.

Regards
    Neil
  • Lesley Xerri
    Lesley Xerri Member Posts: 20
    edited December 2016
    Hi Neil,
    I'm using Reckon Home and Business 2015, share prices are updating - however from 4th June no Day Change or Day Change %
  • Live4life
    edited July 2016
    Just a question:
    This conversation has run for 4-weeks, and seems to suddenly have lost a number of comments made over the last day or so. Why is it so?
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Live4life.

Check if you are click on on those summarised sections that show "previous comments" like this,m  to expand all previous conversations.  This is a Get-Satisfaction software way of reducing the size of printout and detail, as best I've seen over the years on many forums using their technology.

Gary

like this:  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

image.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See that "view Previous" in blue.....  (above in the picture I've taken)

PLUS,  sometimes, people respond to some other reply/comment that is in fact somewhere ELSE in the overall conversation, not necessarily at the bottom, as the latest comment to the topic.  It catches everybody out, quite a lot.

Hope that helps you

Gary

• peter.lang
    edited December 2016
    My share prices have updated (I know because the shares account balance has changed); but not the columns on the Portfolio View remained blank until I changed the date to 11 July and then changed back to 12 July.
  • st_6872571
    st_6872571 Member Posts: 79
    edited July 2016
    Same here.
  • Neil_6428218
    edited December 2016
    Hi Peter, I'm still working on this problem with the portfolio view, I'll continue to investigate tomorrow. Regards Neil
  • Live4life
    edited July 2016
    Thank you Gary for teaching me about "previous comments."
    I have not experienced this before, but ask, who determines what sections of a conversation are "hidden" from view.
    I did realise that conversations are not necessarily linear and that people can respond elsewhere in the conversation.
    Thanks again.
    Live4life

• Live4life
    edited July 2016
    Thank you Gary for teaching me about "previous comments."
    I have not experienced this before, but ask, who determines what sections of a conversation are "hidden" from view.
    I did realise that conversations are not necessarily linear and that people can respond elsewhere in the conversation.
    Thanks again.
    Live4life

• Wayne_6868499
    Wayne_6868499 Member Posts: 19
    edited July 2016
    Just adding my name to this issue so I too can find out when, and if, this issue will be solved. It's very annoying having to change the date every time you want your portfolio view to show the stock market changes (after you've done the download).....
  • Terry
    Terry Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    The new version of qwutil.dll fixed the problem for me running HAB2015.
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Terry.  What Operating system version are you running?     Can you confirm what your position was, without qwutil.dll,  in terms of

a)  share price updates for AUS  

b)  and US

c)  and whether you had US indices or stocks ticked in settings, if you don't even have
    US stocks personally

d)  and how the results of a)  b)  and  c)      affected your portfolio view

Granted you are running HAB2015  and not PP2015 or PP2016,  but I am keen to learn whether your experience with your comment this morning,  would throw any light on Peter Lang's initial thread question here,  where he has not yet updated to qwutil  on his PP2016. 

AGAIN - let's let Neil, Rav and Dev comment on this,  but you have raised a really interesting observation here this morning on all this.

But also:  CLARIFY whether you still need to roll your system back one date and forward again, like others have had to do.     

Gary
  • peter.lang
    edited February 2017
    It may help the diagnosis of the problem (Portfolioo View columns not updating) if I point out that the problem began (for me) well before 25 May.  From memory it was around 1 to 2 weeks before 25 May.  I know it was before 25 May because I was away from home from 25 May to 2 June.  My last share price download before I left was on 24 May.  From memory (could be faulty) the problem had been occurring for around a week or two before this (but perhaps it was less than this).