Beginning balance different from Previous Closing Balance - Bank Reconciliation

J White
J White Member Posts: 15
edited August 2019 in Accounts Hosted
I am a bit stumped.

What may cause a difference between the cleared balance on one bank reconciliation and the beginning balance on the following bank reconciliation?

This question includes the following issues;

The bank reconciliation had a Cleared Balance of $31,000 
The next bank reconciliation had a Beginning Balance of $1,000
2 transactions were entered twice, once on the first recon and again on the second recon (only appeared once on the bank statement)
Co-incidentally the net effect of these 2 transactions is $30,000

The discrepancy report has not shown any issues.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Fizzer
    Fizzer Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2017
    Balances are affected any time you modify an old entry, usually you get a warning window with a simple OK button. I find doing a correction say in last month will blow the start balance, simply enter the same amount and same date of your last successful reconciliation, make sure you tick to hide entries after that date (top right) then the unreconciled entries should show up in the lists. Best of luck.
  • Jacqui Allen
    Jacqui Allen Member Posts: 238 ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    You said the transactions were entered twice, no doubt you've deleted the duplicate entries however the $30 you deleted was cleared. As Fizzer said, simply enter the same amount and same date of your last successful reconciliation, make sure you tick to hide entries after that date (top right) then the un-reconciled entries should show up in the lists.
  • Jacqui Allen
    edited February 2017
    correct see, that is why it is suggested to enter the same date as the original rec.
  • Jacqui Allen
    edited February 2017
    That's a good habit of you 100s of transaction every day
  • HeatherJ
    HeatherJ Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    You can check the error with the reconciliation discrepancy report. You can in reconcile and re reconcile but I strong recommend a backup first.