Is the Australian version of Reckon available for Mac yet?

liz thompson
liz thompson Member Posts: 4
I have been using Quicken/Reckon for 25 years and love it. However, my (cheap) PC is dying and I am contemplating buying a Mac. Is the Australian version of Reckon available for Mac yet?

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited March 2017
    Hi Liz,

Unfortunately, our desktop range including Reckon Accounts Personal is not available/compatible with the Mac/iOS operating system.

I believe a number of users may be successfully running our desktop range of software via Virtual Machine on Mac however it's not something I can recommend or endorse as it's not supported.

Our cloud products such as Reckon One can be accessed via Mac without any issue however I can appreciate it may not have some of the functionality you have in the Personal range product such as share price downloads etc.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Michael Johnson
    Michael Johnson Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2017
    Thanks Rav, Understood... Thx for blocking the last thread.. yes a tad off topic, but its does show a lack in the reckon product line by ignoring a growing faction of users who will probably choose another software program as you simply shut down conversation when it doesn't suit and don't offer a full service product.  QUICKEN is still available in the US for both MAC and PC there must be a reason for that. Steve was just out of touch with trends and focused only on the current percentage. thats all from me folks..
  • sharon_9053717
    sharon_9053717 Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2018
    Thanks Rav, yes my original question was not about who likes and dislikes Mac or Android, nor anything to do with business accounting. Just merely about my own personal accounting software needs. I have tried to run Quicken through a virtual machine but it was extremely clunky so I gave up. I really like the idea of cloud products which run on Mac or Android, but there is no personal range! It is a shame that this corner of the market is ignored by Quicken (Reckon) in Australia. Just by reading some of the previous threads it seems I am not the only one looking for a Mac version or even a cloud version. At least you answered my question, time for different software. 
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited August 2017
    Fair enough Sharon, I can certainly understand where you're coming from.

The ultimate goal is to incorporate the functionality unique to the Personal range into our cloud solution Reckon One. There is a fair bit of effort required in getting that done so it will be a longer term project of ours. The end result would be what you've alluded to which is a cloud option that doesn't distinguish between devices/operating systems.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Michael Johnson
    Michael Johnson Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2017
    That's great news Rav, If I were to use the Australian product I would want a computer based option as I don't want my financials in the cloud.
    Many users prefer this over the trend toward never actually owning a software program and always having to pay access fees to use it. I know you won't do that, but its worth mentioning that you will lose a declining but still large portion of the PC and MAC markets who want to own the software until we Choose to upgrade. Its more about choice, and less about a constant income stream for your business model. 
  • Carmel Musumeci
    Carmel Musumeci Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2017
    Thanks for your question Liz. I'm a MacBook user who has Reckon running via Parallels in Win 7 for 2 years now - my hatred for later Windows versions (8&10) caused me to go Mac. It was extremely clunky after installing and putting up with it for a year to ride out warranty. So then I invested into more Ram (and if this wouldn't have worked, the alternative would have been solid state hd as the laptop was running hot and slow). Other virtual machines just did not work well either on my MBP. Cloud-based is no option up north here really, our internet is unreliable at times, it's better now though compared to when the Reckon Roadshow a few years ago realised this when they couldn't connect several times! Was quite embarrassing! And I do not trust anything cloud-based anyway. So I'm really encouraging Reckon to put their energies into releasing Reckon for Mac, especially now that MYOB have purchased Reckons' Accountants Practice Management Group which now enables them to concentrate on this side of things!! Pleeeease consider and make it happen!!? I'm sure there are many more Mac users like myself who'd love to just be able to install Reckon desktop Mac versions without all this other rigmarole involved!
  • Rheu Brown
    Rheu Brown Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2017
    HI Carmel Musumeci  I have a Mac Laptop and looking to install Reckon Premier. Can you please explain what you had to do to make it possible? Thanks 
    Rheu Brown
  • Carmel Musumeci
    Carmel Musumeci Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2017
    Hi Rheu, you can try using either these apps that allow you to install Windows onto your MBP: BootCamp (Free); VirtualBox(Free) or Parallels (about $AU110/year). Then install Windows (7, 8 or 10) which will enable you to then install your version of Reckon Premier (I use Accounting). Admittedly I'm using the cheapest MacBook Pro there was on the market as I was trying it out before committing big time which I will do next year.

BootCamp is annoying to me, as you have to either boot into the Mac side or the Windows side, so you'll have to shutdown and switch between the two OSs if you're wanting to work in both Reckon AND any Mac programmes.

VirtualBox was recommended to me, but I found it just wouldn't work properly sometimes and the display was smaller - as Windows runs inside Mac and that's how it's displayed.

With Parallels (don't install Parallels Toolbox, it makes my Mac run clunky), the Windows and Reckon icons are on the Dock (see photo - Reckon and Windows icons have double vertical red lines - Parallels symbol) So, Mac has a virtual machine that runs Windows and so I can easily go from Mac to Reckon/Windows programmes and do not have to shut down etc. You have to assign how much space you will give Windows too when you're setting it up.)

However it is really running two OS side-by-side and this draws on your CPU, so if your MBP isn't powerful enough, it will run slower and hotter, mine has been eased by installing more ram now.

Sorry I'm not really technical and techies seem to think this is not a very good way of running Windows on Mac, but it works for me - for now! But life would be much easier having a native Mac Reckon programme!

Hope this helps!image
  • sharon_9053717
    sharon_9053717 Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2019
    You are not alone in the quest for Reckon to release a Mac version of its personal range....waiting...waiting....waiting
  • Phuong Paula
    Phuong Paula Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2018
    I did not know Reckon is not for Mac until I installed it. Hope it will be available for Mac soon, praying.
  • Jackson Lee_8023701
    Jackson Lee_8023701 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2019
    I have been using Personal Plus for years and I aboslutely hoping that one day Reckon will release Mac version however I am not going to hold my breath on that.  I am currently looking for the software which I can use it in my Mac that is "similar" to Personal Plus...Any suggestions? Many thanks.  
  • Chris Nunn
    Chris Nunn Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2019
    I am in the same boat as many in that my old Windows desktop PC is rapidly deteriorating.  Have loved using Quicken (now Reckon) Personal since about 1997 but will have to replace it with something else soon as the path to iOS seems too long even though we users have been asking for years.  Talk about poor customer service!