How to take extra tax out of employee's wage?

Naomi Arthur-Smith
Naomi Arthur-Smith Member Posts: 5
edited August 2019 in Accounts Hosted
Hello everyone :)

I have an employee who would like me to take an extra $25.00 out of her fortnightly wage. She would like this amount taken out as a way of forced savings/extra tax rebate as per her accountants advice. I have typed 25.00 in the "extra Tax" box in her employee profile, but it doesn't make a difference to her pay? Anyone have any idea why, or what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you all in advance :)

Comments

• Shirley Ingle
    Shirley Ingle Accredited Partner Posts: 138 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited August 2017
    Hi Naomi  If you run a dummy pay, check the tax, it should show the extra tax taken out. The extra tax will add to whatever the tax is for the Gross Wages for the pay. Any changes take place at the next pay run, not previous pays.
  • Naomi Arthur-Smith
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for your reply Shirley :) I did do that and tax stays the same at $210. I just can't understand why its not adding on??
  • Shirley Ingle
    Shirley Ingle Accredited Partner Posts: 138 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited August 2017

Hi Naomi  For $210 tax the gross wages is around $1080.

Does the employee have salary sacrifice?

• Shirley Ingle
    edited August 2017
    Hi Naomi  Apologies, the pay is fortnight so the gross wages would be between 1552 and 1556.00. Is that correct?
  • Naomi Arthur-Smith
    edited August 2017
    Gross is $1553.89 - That's correct :)

• Naomi Arthur-Smith
    edited August 2017
    I'm sorry Kevin - would you mind explaining what a "sample file" is?
  • Shirley Ingle
    edited August 2017

Naomi  Is the tax coming up at $210. Did you run a dummy pay just for this employee after you had entered the $25 extra tax in the record. Instead of checking in a sample file, test one of the other employees to see if the extra tax works for them. If it does, then perhaps you should run a rebuild of the file. There may be a corruption in the employees record. Also I would check how super is set up.  

• Naomi Arthur-Smith
    edited August 2017
    Yes Shirley I did try all of that, and it still didn't change..

Oddly enough, I just tried it on my own pay and it did in fact work. I went back to the employee and tried hers again and hers also worked?? Maybe it was Gremlins? Not sure but it works now :) 

Thanks Shirley & Kevin for all of your helpful suggestions :)