ABA file error in ANZ Description is missing or in an invalid format.. Does anyone know how to fix t

Annie O'Connor
Annie O'Connor Member Posts: 9
edited February 2020 in Accounts Hosted
I am loading an ABA file created in Reckon to ANZ. Same way as I do for other ABA files which were successful. But now getting this error message. Any ideas?

Comments

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited October 2017
    Hi Annie,

Thanks for asking.

Firstly, in the Online Banking Centre, To Bank area, check the entry in the Payment Description field contains only text and numerals.  Create the ABA file again and upload it to the ANZ.  

If you still get an error, then go to the Online Bank Details tab of your bank ledger account setup and look at the "Include balance record" field.  Tick this box if it's not ticked.  Untick it if it is ticked.  

Create the ABA file again and upload it to the ANZ.  

Hope you have better success this time

regards,
    John
  • GaryP
    GaryP Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2017
    Annie did this fix your problem?  I'm having an error also and wondering if this is the solution?
  • John Moussa
    John Moussa Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2017
    i have the same error, (Error in Input Data)
  • GaryP
    GaryP Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2017
    Hi John, do you use ANZ?  If so look for my post this problem as I resolved it.  One final thing to add is make sure you rename the LONG file name that is auto generated by Reckon.  It's "ANZ_blah blah blah LONG blah.ABA"   Rename it to just ANZ.ABA - that's another thing I need to do to avoid the error.  But read my other post about the problem that might help.
  • John Moussa
    edited October 2017
    thanks, garyP, I tried but I get a new error
  • John G
    edited October 2017
    Hi John,

When you Preview ABA File do you see all fields completed like this:

(When paying from an ANZ Bank, the Bank field should contain the code: ANZ)

regards,
    John

• Sara - Balancing Numbers
    Sara - Balancing Numbers Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    And just to add confusion, if you are working with RA Hosted in New Zealand, ANZ comes up as AZN in the "bank" field.  

• John Moussa
    edited October 2017
    where should i Preview ABA File?
  • John G
    edited October 2017
    Hi John,

Banking > Online Banking Centre > Preview ABA file button.

regards,
    John
  • Annie O'Connor
    Annie O'Connor Member Posts: 9
    edited October 2017
    Thanks John, this fixed my problem. I had entered the payment description field with a $ symbol. Once I removed this the ABA file loaded successfully. 
    As an FYI I have also since discovered that if a company name is too long (I think 17 characters) the whole batch will not load. 
  • John G
    edited October 2017
    Thanks Annie will let the developers know.  Sounds like it may be a limitation at the bank end as the Name field inside the ABA File keeps expanding to take the length of the name.

regards,
    John