Read only access to historical data

MariaMcAdam
MariaMcAdam Member Posts: 6
edited November 2017 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Reckon Accounts Premier desktop.

My bosses in their wisdom had us change to Xero (for a variety of reasons including the fact that Reckon online could not do what we needed.  I miss Reckon so much!). In April, when Reckon's license date went past, desktop required activation and I lost all access to create or do anything to our Reckon data. Which is fine. But now when I log in to the file it says I have two more logins before I have to activate. Does that mean I will lose read only access to the data too?

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited November 2017
    Hi Maria,

I believe you will be presented with this if you are using the program on a computer/environment where the version has not been previously activated.

After the 5th attempt, you will be required to activate the program in order to view your data. However, in your case you will not be able to activate because there is no valid licence.

Can you confirm if you're using the previously activated version or if its been installed on a new PC etc?

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• MariaMcAdam
    edited November 2017
    Hi Rav, it was activated April 2016 which was the anniversary date.  No new PC although we did have multiple issues with a server environment and ended up putting a single desktop version on my PC along the way in 2016.  Once April 2017 rolled around it kept prompting me to activate with a new license although of course I couldn't; but I was also locked out of making any changes or entering data. Now I have the "you may use it X more times" message coming up and I'm really worried.  There's ten year's worth of data in there.
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited November 2017
    Hello Maria,

To properly understand your situation could you please send us your Customer ID to community@reckon.com.

Did you activate the installation on your PC?  You are allowed 5 entries into the software before Activation is mandatory to access your company file.  

Otherwise, it sounds like you are getting messages to renew your licence to maintain your access.  It will stop after the number of accesses indicated.  Currently you have Read Only access and you will maintain that read only access.  You will always be able to view your information and you should be able to print out reports, but you cannot enter new data or use any other functionality of the programme.  As your company file is on your PC you will have that file and you can take it to any activated Reckon Accounts Premier installation, open it and use it.  Most likely your accountant, and any Reckon Accredited Partner, will be able to help you out on such access.  

regards,
    John.
  • MariaMcAdam
    edited November 2017
    Hi John, thanks for the response.

Our Reckon ID was 701347 (Willetton Basketball Association). The installation was activated, as I was using Reckon daily for our bookkeeping up until we undertook the changeover to Xero in April.

Reckon has always been fantastic about accessing old data, my concern is the loss of read only access once the "two more logins" date passed.  If this is not the case, then panic averted!

Kind regards, Maria
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited November 2017
    Thanks Maria,

The "two more logins" is usually a message that comes up when using an un-activated version - you are allowed 5 uses before activation is mandatory.  You cannot activate this one as your Annual Licence has expired.

Are you able to use it on another PC and another user (you had 5 users under your Licence) - you should be able to get to the read only version and view your data.

Your company file resides on your PC/server and it is yours for ever - so no risk of you losing your company data, unless you actually delete the file, and all backups, off your PC  You can always take this company file to anyone who has an activated Reckon Accounts Premier version and use the programme's functionality.

regards,
    John.