GENERAL JOURNAL ENTRIES WITH TAX CODES ARE NOT BEING PICKED UP IN GST REPORT - WHY?

Pam_8221443
Pam_8221443 Member Posts: 14
edited August 2019 in Accounts Hosted
I'm running accrual reporting and have entered some transactions through general journal with tax codes attached - these transactions are not being picked up by the Tax Summary report - can anyone shed any light on this please. 
Thanking you 
Pam 

Comments

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited November 2017
    Hello Pam,

On the General Journal you can only enter a Tax Item and not a Tax Code.  (Tax Codes are linked to Tax Items.)  All reports, including the Tax Summary Report, will show Tax Codes only, so General Journals will not show on it.  The BAS Lodgement Form uses Tax Items, so General Journal items will be included here. 

So if you are expecting to see the transaction in a Tax Report you will need to enter it via the appropriate form rather than via a General Journal.

regards,
    John  
  • Pam_8221443
    edited December 2017
    Thanks for your reply John. 
    It would be great if Reckon could update the software so that you can enter things in GJ's and have then be included in the tax summary reports. 

Pam
  • Nadine
    Nadine Member Posts: 52
    edited January 2018
    I have also noticed this same issue. Recently our accountant asked us to do a GJ entry for a trade-in situation. The scenario we were presented with only worked via a GJ. The GJ affected the GST controls accounts. We used the tax item, not tax codes in the journal entry, however at the end of the month when I ran the tax reports I noticed the software hadn't picked up the adjustments done by the GJ.
  • Pam_8221443
    edited January 2018
    Hi Nadine
    As you will see from Reckon's response GJ aren't taken into consideration when running the reports but they are included in the BAS Lodgement Form - which as I've said didn't and doesn't help me.  
    At the moment there doesn't seem to be a way around this.  If you do find one, I'd love to know.
    Thanks
    Pam
  • Nadine
    Nadine Member Posts: 52
    edited January 2018
    Hi Pam Yes I saw their response and I just find that disappointing because it means if a 3rd party was to audit the BAS, they wouldn’t pick up these adjustments, only the bookkeeper who did the entries will know to look for them and that’s really not good enough hey! I don’t use the BAS lodgement feature so I really don’t find that a helpful solution.
  • Pam_8221443
    edited January 2018
    I don't use the BAS Lodgement feature either and the audit problem is real.  I've ended up writing copious notes on the lodged version so hopefully when the auditor comes to ask questions I'll have written enough notes to answer him sufficiently.

I've just been reading the dialog about logging in problems over the past few days (I've been lucky as I have been on holiday so wasn't affected) - Reckon certainly have their hands full.  They don't seem to be able to keep up with the new technology and options other software offer.  I'm looking at other software options for this particular client but at the moment stuck with Reckon.    We can hope for miracles.

Pam