Reckon Personal Plus 2017

Jillian Doncon
Jillian Doncon Member Posts: 14
My Personal Plus 2017 program will no longer open my data file, and is unresponsive to any attempts to open files from the data file itself or the file menu in the program. When I open task manager it is also not listed as an open program. I have received no error messages. It was working 2 days ago but nothing today, I can also see no updates to the program in my updates list. What shall I do?

Comments

• Andrew Christie_9226043
    Andrew Christie_9226043 Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2018
    Hi Jillian,
    Are you opening PP from a shortcut on the desktop or from Windows Start Menu?
    In the past these options have gone wonky on me and I check that I can start it directly from the program executable file...
    "c:\program files (x86)\reckon accounts personal\qw.exe"
    one other option is to right mouse click on your data file (*.qdf) and choose either 'open with quicken or the 'open with...' option.
    If either way works I would delete your shortcuts/remove from start menu and re-create your shortcuts
    cheers
    Andrew
  • Jillian Doncon
    edited February 2018
    I was, yes. I deleted the shortcut from my taskbar and opened from the menu.
    Just tried to open it from the file location as you suggested and same issue. I also ran the compatibility troubleshooter (I have windows 10) and I can't even get that to see if it would work on windows 8. I click the test button and nothing happens.
    Also tried "open with" on my data file and nothing happens, just a blank Reckon screen and no buttons work. image
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for the screenshot. Is your data file called "kladon data" (2 words separated by a space?
    If so do a rename without spaces and restrict to 8 letters/characters - Quicken/Reckon doesn't seem to like the 'new' Windows filename format and without reason did the same thing to me out of the blue.
  • Jillian Doncon
    edited February 2018
    yes, just had to restart PC because it wouldn't rename the file, saying it was open! renamed it by deleting the word data and same issue... tried renaming again and it says it's open but not in the task manager list. will I need to buy 2018?
  • Jillian Doncon
    edited February 2018
    just renamed it with no CAPS too but same issue...
  • Jillian Doncon
    edited February 2018
    task manager has it listed as running in background processes.

edited February 2018
    Hi Jillian
    Sorry for delay in replying.
    Hmmm.
    Do you subscribe to Personal Plus i.e. have an annual subscription? If so this may be the issue although I have never been able to find out definitively what happens if you do not re-new. Perhaps Rav (Coy rep) can answer.

Unfortunately I have upgraded to 2018 and cannot see any of the program processes running in the background so I cannot replicate

If it was me I would end the background task and try a program re-start or even a cold boot and then try again.

No updates/upgrades/new virus program installed in the last two days?

edited February 2018
    Found answer re renew/not renewing annual subscriptions:

From DebonAir

"A subscription allows you to use the program in the period of the licence. At the end of the 12 months the program is locked. As with all subscriptions (eg, including magazines). After the date closes you have a read only file.  Many other programs, not just accounting programs, will not even allow read only files after the end date.

If you wish to continue using the program beyond 12 months then you will need to buy the full version which will allow ongoing use after 12 months. "
    https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/if-i-have-paid-for-program-why-dont-i-own-it-if-i-dont-re...

• Jillian Doncon
    edited February 2018
    Hi Andrew,
    sorry for the delay in replying, once it's time to get the kids from school I don't get much time to do these things!
    the problem seems to have rectified itself... I suspect renaming the data did the trick and the PC needed to restart or do an update or something in the background after then for it to work.
    I don't have a subscription service, I only use the program offline. However, it may be time to get the new program. Some of my other programs didn't like it when I switched to windows 10 and although reckon was fine, perhaps this was also a result of windows 10 compatibility.
    thank you so much for all your help and patience last week.
    Kind regards
    Jillian
    edited February 2018
    Hi Jillian,

Pleased to hear that all is well once again. Yes, I would stick to the old 8 character no spaces filename. Somehow Quicken/Reckon PP is not developed to work with 21st century filenames. Hah! 

You should not have to upgrade 2017 should still work just fine with W10. I only upgrade because I somehow ended up on a subscription account some time back. :-(

cheers

Andrew

• Jillian Doncon
    edited February 2018
    Hi Andrew,
    It's happened again. I uninstalled 2017 then reinstalled it. It opens up just fine with the test data file, however won't open my file. I've run a file checker on it and it's not infected and there are no errors so I am again at a loss as to what to do. Do you have any bright ideas?
    edited February 2018
    Hmmm - would you check the naming of your data files when you last had a successful opening - do they all have the new name? (QDF, HCX, QEL, QPH, ). You can do another re-name from File > file operations > rename.

If still no go, go for a validation of your file - File > file operations > validate (After Validating, it's best to Super Validate - hold CTL-ALT-SHIFT then Validate.)

Final suggestion if all continues to fail - check last comment on this previous forum message: 

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/reckon-accounts-personal-2016-reckon-accounts-launcher-has-stopped-working

regards
    Andrew

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2018
    Hello Jillian,

Sorry to hear your problems are persisting.  RAPP2017 is designed to work with Windows 10 so compatibility is not an issue here.  

Let me review your situation.
    You were working with your RAPP2017 on a Windows10 PC for some time when suddenly you could not open your datafile.  You could open the programme but you could not open your datafile from either the File Menu in the programme or by clicking the datafile itself.

Question 1 - were you able to open the sample file SAMPLE1.qdf in C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Sample\?
    Question 2 - were there any changes to your computer environment (auto updates; new programmes installed; maintenance, etc) between the time of your last successful use of RAPP and encountering the problem?
    Question 3 - what is the location of your datafiles?  My Docs folder? C-drive? Network drive? USB?

You tried a number of things including renaming the datafile and restarting the computer and later the problem seemed to rectify itself.

A week later you uninstall and reinstall RAPP and have the same problem.  You can open the sample file.  

Question 4 - why did you uninstall and reinstall?  Error message? Loss of functionality?
    Question 5 - when opening your datafile from the File Menu, are you selecting it from the previous opened files list or through the option File > Open > .... etc?

At this stage I am thinking that from time to time, there is a problem with the programme accessing the location of your datafile.  Do a test - create a new file and save it to your Desktop.  Is there any problems accessing this file by any method?

Question 6 - are you using some sort of auto online backup system? 

regards,
    John. 
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 473 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited September 2019

Along with John's suggestions and questions above; often when you back up a data file if you have the setting turned on, it adds the date after the data file name.  If you then restore the backup to the new installation the name will be long again.  What is the data file name now?

Regards, Robyn

• Jillian Doncon
    edited February 2018

Let me review your situation.
    You were working with your RAPP2017 on a Windows10 PC for some time when suddenly you could not open your datafile.  You could open the programme but you could not open your datafile from either the File Menu in the programme or by clicking the datafile itself.

Yes that is correct.

Question 1 - were you able to open the sample file SAMPLE1.qdf in C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Sample\?

I hadn’t opened that one… I was able to open the original sample file (called TEST) from the original 2010 version. I have just found the file you mentioned and opened it without an issue.

Question 2 - were there any changes to your computer environment (auto updates; new programmes installed; maintenance, etc) between the time of your last successful use of RAPP and encountering the problem?

The latest system update was 15 January, a month before I had an issue with my RAPP file. No new programmes installed. The only issue I can think of is that we are close to the limit with our storage space. However I have since reduced the files on the hard drive so that shouldn’t be an issue now.

Question 3 - what is the location of your datafiles?  My Docs folder? C-drive? Network drive? USB?

The data file is in a My docs folder, to enable it to be sent to our backup drive regularly. Would you suggest moving it?

You tried a number of things including renaming the datafile and restarting the computer and later the problem seemed to rectify itself.

A week later you uninstall and reinstall RAPP and have the same problem.  You can open the sample file.  

Question 4 - why did you uninstall and reinstall?  Error message? Loss of functionality?

I thought the issue had been solved with renaming the file as it seemed to open, however I did not have time to use it then, so the following week when I tried to open it again I encountered the same problem. It was then that I uninstalled/reinstalled the program to see if that would solve the problem.

Question 5 - when opening your datafile from the File Menu, are you selecting it from the previous opened files list or through the option File > Open > .... etc?

At this stage I am thinking that from time to time, there is a problem with the programme accessing the location of your datafile.  Do a test - create a new file and save it to your Desktop.  Is there any problems accessing this file by any method?

Through File>Open etc.

No problem accessing the new test file.

Question 6 - are you using some sort of auto online backup system? 

Not online, I have one back up going to a separate folder in My Docs plus a system backup to an external drive. Not quite ready to trust a cloud system with my data yet!

I have just noticed something missing… my data file doesn’t seem to have a supporting file with an .IDX extension. There is nothing in my deleted items either. My latest backup was almost a week prior to the data file crashing. I have just opened that file successfully. Shall I delete my original files and use the backup one?
  • John G
    edited February 2018
    Thanks Jillian.

When an auto backup routine is in progress Reckon Accounts Personal will view that folder and all the files in it as in use by another programme and consequently not accessible to it.

You can test it by copying your RAP datafile folder to a C-drive location and access from that spot.  Do you have the same problem when the auto backup is in progress?

Suggest you have your RAP files in a separate folder in C-drive.  You will need to get in the habit of making regular backups again.  Save the backup to another folder on your C-drive and then use File Explorer commands to copy the backup to your My Docs for your auto backup to pick it up.  

The IDX file is not an issue - there are a number of auxiliary files RAP creates as needed.  The only additional file you need to protect its history is the QPH file which contains your share price history.  

regards,
    John
  • Jillian Doncon
    edited February 2018
    I do already have things set up the way you suggest above. My RAP file is already in a separate folder on the C drive and I backup weekly which is why the 1st Feb backup file works just fine - one more day and the new backup may have also become corrupted.
    I think what I'm going to do is move the original file to another location, and use the backup file from now on. It means a months worth of data entry but it will probably take me less time that continuing to test and sort out my issue with the original RAP file. Since opening the backup file, it has already created it's own secondary backup so everything is working as expected.
    thank you everyone for all your help and assistance, the cause of the problem will just have to remain a mystery for now!
  • John G
    edited February 2018
    Hi Jillian,

With File Explorer find your most recently dated datafile - .QDF extension - in your My Docs folder.  Is it more recent than your last backup?  Copy it and other file extensions with the same name (IDX, HCX, QPH, etc) to your new folder.  Any problems opening it?

regards,
    John
  • Jillian Doncon
    edited February 2018
    Hi John,
    Yes the datafile is more recent that the backup (but only by 6 days). I was not able to open it in it's new location. I have created a new file using the backup and am going to use that from now on. thank you for all your help.
    regards,
    Jill
  • John G
    edited February 2018
    Hello Jillian,

Good to hear you are back in your file again.  I suggest you Validate and SuperValidate your restored file as soon as possible.   

regards,
    John.