Printer Hangs When Printing Invoices. Prints reports OK.

Jon_1902808
Jon_1902808 Member Posts: 65
edited August 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Morning All. This glitch only began today. Previously I've been printing invoices to paper and PDF without a problem. Today any attempt to print an invoice (whether to paper or PDF) results in the program 'hanging', with the only means of escape being to force closure with 'end task'.

The printer seems stuck in 'spooling' (whatever that is :-D )

Reports do print OK to either medium.

Home & Business 2018, Win 7, 64-bit although OS should not matter as all has been working well for months. I've seen somewhat-similar problems reported in the help pages, but no solutions.image

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited April 2018
    Hi Jon,

Sounds like a strange one seeing that reports are printing ok, but can you please try verify your printer settings firstly?

1.    File > Printer Setup > For Reports, Cheques or Invoices

2.    Verify that the correct printer is selected

3.    Make any necessary changes and click OK

4.    Attempt to print. If you cannot print:

a.    Windows 7: Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes.

b.    Right-click the printer used in RA Personal’s Printer Setup and select Printer Properties > Advanced

c.    Look for the options Spool print documents and Print directly to printer.  Click on the one NOT selected.   

d.    Click OK or Save.

Test the operation of Reckon Accounts Personal again.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Robert Smeallie_9600650
    Robert Smeallie_9600650 Member Posts: 83
    edited August 2020
    Hi Jon,
    Spooling is when the printer output is stored temporarily in memory then when it has a chance, it sends the print job to the printer. Most people print directly to the printer, but in busy offices where a number of people are sending print jobs to the network printer, they will be held in memory until the printer queue has been cleared. Possible Win 7 can't cope with Reckon Home and Business 2018. I'm still using Quicken Home and Business 2010 in Windows 10 and it works in a fashion, due to compatibility problems with the new VB database runtime installed on my computer
  • Jon_1902808
    edited April 2018
    Hi Robert - the thing is that I've been printing fine for months with H&B 2018 and Win7... until today :-/
  • Jon_1902808
    edited April 2018
    Hi Rav

Things look OK at my end (your steps 1-3)

In my printer properties I changed "Spool print..." to "Print directly to Printer"

Invoices still won't print, the only difference is that I see the word 'printing' instead of 'spooling' in the print status window.

At this point I can't cancel printing and must force the program to close.

• Spilly
    Spilly Member Posts: 182 ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Have you uninstalled CutePDF Writer and reinstalled it with the latest version?
  • Jon_1902808
    edited April 2018
    Hi Tim - I have ver 3.2 which is the latest. Unable to print to paper via Canon driver either. Weird. Can print reports to paper and PDF, but not invoices. :-p
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited April 2018
    That's the strange bit for me, that it will print one thing but not another from the same application. Perhaps try and deleting the print files and see if it helps, the process is outlined in this KB article -

Deleting the qbprint.qbp and WPR.ini files

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Spilly
    edited April 2018
    If the above hasn’t worked. The 1st thing that tells me it's not Reckon related, is that reckon software doesn't change overnight. Unless you have a corrupt file belonging to the software.

If you have unsuccessfully printed to the print spool multiple times, those items will still be in the spool not allowing any thing else to print.

to clear the spool:

run command prompt as administrator then run the following commands:
    (you can copy & paste direct to run the commands)
      net stop spooler  del %systemroot%\System32\spool\printers\* /Q /F /S  net start spooler  
    This will clear the spooler, to eliminate that issue.

Then retry printing.

Relating to reinstalling, if some changed like OS update that has possibility corrupted files/settings etc. you are better of reinstalling to eliminate the possibility
  • Jon_1902808
    edited April 2018
    This just in: I loaded one of the Reckon Accounts sample files, created an invoice and it printed without a problem! Could my data file be corrupted somehow?
  • Jon_1902808
    edited April 2018
    Thanks Tim
    * a corrupt file is a possibility. When the program froze on my first print attempt this morning, I used the task manager to force it to close. On reopening the program it 'thought' that the license had expired and I had to phone Reckon for a new installation key. After that the program opened successfully.

* I was only able to find one instance of WPR.ini which I deleted. No instances of qbprint.qbp.

*Clearing the spooler brought up this...image
  • Spilly
    edited April 2018
    you need to run as administrator (right click run as admin..)
  • Jon_1902808
    edited April 2018
    I happened to need to create a new data file as my original had been created in a US version of Reckon H&B back in 2007 and couldn't handle GST (to which I've recently registered). The new file prints fine so 2 probs solved with one stroke. Printing was never a problem with the original data file until recently, so a corruption suspected.

Thanks for your help everyone.
  • Spilly
    edited August 2020
    Yer, a very good example why you need to follow upgrade paths, also the need to post actual details of what has occurred. No mention of upgrading in your original post. etc.... This would save alot of people time and effort.

However I did pick that up from your other thread from yesterday and left you with it.