I am trying to update to Hosted 2018 R2. Cannot finish backup. Cannot get past backup.

Grant Owen
Grant Owen Member Posts: 9
edited August 2019 in Accounts Hosted
I am trying to update to Hosted 2018 R2. I have made 6 attempts in the past few days and each time Reckon times out after a few hours, never getting past 38% on running the back up. I had to run the first weeks payroll in the old system to get it out on time. I have also made 8 phone calls to the help centre, usually after about an hour I hang up. Can anyone help me please?.......... Grant

Comments

• Jeff Langtip
    Jeff Langtip Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2019
    Can the fix to this be posted, please? Each time we need to backup, the backup hangs. We very recently rebuilt the company file & I have no idea how large it is... nor do I know how I can see how large it is. The backup was left running, I am checking it now and I have been LOGGED OUT due to inactivity SO I logged in again and I am being asked to backup AGAIN so it did not work. The backup sits on just 18%...
  • Grant Owen
    edited July 2018
    Jeff,
    I finally got onto the help desk and they were amazed that my file was one gig in size and said that was the reason it was "hanging" during the back up process. I have been using reckon for about 5 years and just kept adding to the file each year. They talked me through an alternative back up process that took about an hour, then they had me export all my file "structure" such as employee names and payment codes and save the file in Q. Then they had me create a new company and import the structure file into the new company file. So in theory I have now got a small, clean file for F19 which contains all my employee details (I use Reckon only for payroll) and no time and attendance data. This file should be quickly backed up when I go through this process again in 12 months time.
    To check your file size log in and hit control 1 on a mac (maybe command and 1 on a pc) and you will get a summary of the file size. Good luck

• Grant Owen
    edited July 2018
    Thanks Kevin,
    no you didn't miss a call from me. The download to the desktop sounds like an obvious solution. Not sure why the help desk didn't suggest that one.
    We still have the history file. The guy on the help desk talked me through a procedure that backed it up and upgraded it to 2018. Then we created the new company files with no history. So if we need history we go back to the old company file. We just need to remember to upgrade it, and the new files, next July, and the one after that, and so forth, so it is always able to be accessed by the current version of Reckon.