Unable to backup Reckon Accounts Premier Edition company file

Brad_9932878
Brad_9932878 Member Posts: 12
I seem unable to do a backup of our Reckon Accounts Premier Edition company file, as it has grown to a very large size (2.1 GB). When I do a backup, it gets to 71% (or thereabouts) and then shows a "Not Responding" message in the dialogue box, and never completes the backup. The .tmp file created in the process is about 1.9 GB, so it nearly gets there, but not quite. I ended up upgrading to 2018 without a backup, hoping that the 2018 version would fix the problem, but it hasn't. Any ideas appreciated! (I have tried closing off past years' transactions, but this has taken many hours and made no discernible difference to the size of the company file.)

Comments

• Big Hat
    Big Hat Accredited Partner Posts: 93 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited January 2019
    Hi Run a full backup with full verification Email me if further details are required Admin@qldbc.com.au

John Peppas

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Hi Brad.  Are you doing a verify as part of your backup process?  How big is your .tlg file?  If you are not using verify, your .tlg file will grow very large and potentially larger than your data file.
    As another possibility, have you tried doing a rebuild of your data file?
    John L G
  • Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2019
    Further to Johns suggestion (and his comments around the tlg file are very important) - I would create a portable file, then restore this portable file - has a similar effect to rebuilding the file - but might be a bit quicker - although I would also be tempted to rebuild (or do create portable, restore portable) x 3 times - this will give maximum compression of the file - and then review file size... if you press Ctrl + 1 on your keyboard when file is open - you will see file size and number of transactions etc - depending on the types of entries you do - it may be legit that the file has grown to such a size (I have a client with file of similar size - but its 18 years old and has many daily invoices with many lines on each invoice)... could be time to consider working towards a new datafile at 1 July this year?
  • John Graetz
    edited February 2019
    Brad.  I support Linda's contention about "rebuilding" three times.  In the "old" days, before Hosted, this was always something recommended by Reckon.  I have seen instances where errors within a file were only corrected after that third rebuild.
    John L G
  • Brad_9932878
    edited February 2019
    Thanks John, John and Linda, I really appreciate your assistance. I have previously done a verify as part of the backup process, and encountered the same problem - working for several hours before freezing. This time I was trying a quick backup (without verification) but got the same result. 
    I had previously done rebuilds, but never more than one at a time. I will attempt three in a row and see if that helps. 
    I feel it is legit that the file size has grown to that size, as we add dozens of transactions, each with multiple items, every week, and have been doing so for many years. It is probably time to do a new data file at July 1 this year - I have been considering it for some time, but am a bit nervous about it... In all honesty, I wouldn't know where to start - are there any tutorials or instructions on how to do this? We obviously would need to bring across all our suppliers, customers, items and outstanding/unpaid invoices to the new data file - is this difficult?  
  • Big Hat
    Big Hat Accredited Partner Posts: 93 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2019
    Hi Would you like me to login to your computer and see what can be done

John Peppas

• Linda ABC
    edited February 2019
    Graham Boast at www.reckonhelp.com.au is an Accredited Partner with lots of experience in creating new datafiles.  He may be able to assist you with planning this for 1 July?  He assisted me for another client and I have some notes on the steps required and where his help can make the process a little easier.  If you contact Graham and decide to go this way, I am happy to send you my notes on the steps that would need to be considered/done along the way?  Cheers Linda
  • Brad_9932878
    edited February 2019
    Hi Linda and John.
    Thanks very much for your assistance. I tried doing a rebuild, however the first step is... wait for it... creating a backup! Not sure if there is a shortcut whereby I can do a rebuild without doing a backup? I couldn't immediate see any way around it, so proceeded with another back-up attempt. After about five hours it was on 94% and I went to bed, only to get up in the morning with it seemingly frozen on 99%. (Either way, I had to exit to switch the file back to multi-user mode for the day's operations.) As such, no backup or rebuild created. 
    I will have a go at creating a portable file, as maybe this will work, although it mentions that while the file size is smaller, it can take longer, which may be a problem, as I am not having any success with the length of time a normal backup takes. 
    Either way, we will look at creating a new company file for July 1. Any assistance with this would be more than welcome!
  • Linda ABC
    edited February 2019
    Hi Brad - yes you can do a rebuild without doing a backup first ... Step 1 - make a copy of the file!!! close everyone out - copy it to another location...while you are going to this trouble - try Step 2 - Resort all your lists (this is often where problems lie)... Items, Accounts, Names, Memorised Reports, Memorised Transactions etc.... then Step 3 - as you go to File - Utilities Rebuild - hold the control key down - you will see a message asking if you are sure you want to rebuild without doing a backup first - say yes...
    Good luck...
  • Brad_9932878
    edited February 2019
    Thanks so much Linda. I will try these things.
    I really appreciate your help.
  • Brad_9932878
    edited February 2019
    Hi there. I've just had a closer look, and the TLG file is massive! It is nearly 4 times the size of the data file, at over 7GB.
    Other than a back-up and verify, is there any other way I can reduce this? (As I seem unable to do a back-up...)
  • Linda ABC
    edited February 2019
    Hi Brad - log out of the file, make sure no one is in it... then copy the file to another location - open it from that location... if it sucessfully opens... then you can close it down, delete the TLG file and then go back and open the file from the original location.... now try a backup and see how you go.. cheers Linda
  • Brad_9932878
    edited February 2019
    Thanks Linda. I just tried this, however, when I copy just the data file over (and not the TLG file) it won't successfully open from the new location. Seems like it needs the TLG file to open? (I copied the data file and another small associated file over to the new location, just not the TLG file.)
  • John Graetz
    edited February 2019
    Hi Brad.  Further to what Linda has already stated.  It is my understanding that it is the verification process, which reduces the size of the tlg file, as this is the first step in doing a backup.  Have you tried just doing a verify?
    Also, I find your last comment somewhat strange, compared to my own experience.  I regularly copy a file and transfer it by means of a USB drive from one computer to another, but only ever copy the data file and not the tlg file, yet never have any difficulties in opening it up on another computer, or even from my USB drive on occasions, when I have had to answer a query from a site from where I am not working in a particular day..
    John L G
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited February 2019
    I'm not sure if this will add anything further in support of the experienced advice from Linda & John but I'll link a couple of support articles below which touch on this area.

Reckon Accounts is taking a long time to backup/frozen during backup

My company file is sluggish and my TLG file needs resetting.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Linda ABC
    edited February 2019
    Brad - just copy the qbw file - not the .nd or .tlg file...  you should be able to open it?  make sure its closed and Reckon Accounts is not running when you copy....
  • Brad_9932878
    edited February 2019
    Thanks Rav. They are interesting articles, and I certainly understand TLG files better now. However, unfortunately all of those solutions, and all the ones I seem to be coming across, involve doing a back-up as part of the process for fixing the problem, which is unhelpful when the problem I have is that I can't do a back-up!

I am now trying Linda's suggestion: I've just copied the qbw file and have managed to open it from the new location. I am going straight into a full backup (with verification) of this new file in the new location (with no associated TLG file) to see if this works. Will let you know how I go!

Thanks again for your help.

• Brad_9932878
    edited February 2019
    Linda, you are a marvel!
    I finally managed to shut down Reckon fully, copy just the qbw file to a new location, open it form this location, and then run a full back-up (with verification) from this new location. And it worked!!!
    I've now move that file back to the original location, and got rid of the massive tlg file, and all is good again in the world. Reckon is working much faster, too, which is great.
    Thanks heaps for your help. I will be sure to do regular verified back-ups from now on to keep the tlg file under control. 
    Oh, and John, you were right - I think the problem was that I'd copied the qbw and the .nd file, and perhaps Reckon was running in the background when I did. When I followed Linda's recommendations and shut down Reckon completely, and just moved the qbw file, I was able to open it.
    FYI I had previously done a verification (without backup) and it made no difference to the size of the tlg file. 
    Thanks everyone!
  • John Graetz
    edited February 2019
    Great news, Brad.
    John L G
  • Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2019
    Hi Brad

Since Linda mentioned me earlier I thought I would move onto next steps for you.

At 2Gb plus, you need to consider a new datafile now.  With Single Touch payroll being implemented on the 1st July, this will be a crazy time for accredited partners. My advice would be to plan for a new file from 1 April.

Whilst I am all in favour of people having a go, a new file is a huge job.  I normally do a few steps and take a backup.  With most new files, I end up with 15-20 backups. There are a multitude of steps involved, the order things are done is critical, and there are issues that will trip you up. A new file usually takes me 8 to 12 hours.

My aim for clients is least possible disruption to normal business processing.   The process I use lets you use your file until the end of June, and invoicing in the new file on 1 July.

I would be happy to talk to you about the process and what's involved.

Graham 0409317366
    graham@reckonhelp.com.au

Graham Boast | 0409 317366 | graham@reckonhelp.com.au

• Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2019
    Hi Brad

Since Linda mentioned me earlier I thought I would move onto next steps for you.

At 2Gb plus, you need to consider a new datafile now.  With Single Touch payroll being implemented on the 1st July, this will be a crazy time for accredited partners. My advice would be to plan for a new file from 1 April.

Whilst I am all in favour of people having a go, a new file is a huge job.  I normally do a few steps and take a backup.  With most new files, I end up with 15-20 backups. There are a multitude of steps involved, the order things are done is critical, and there are issues that will trip you up. A new file usually takes me 8 to 12 hours.

My aim for clients is least possible disruption to normal business processing.   The process I use lets you use your file until the end of June, and invoicing in the new file on 1 July.

I would be happy to talk to you about the process and what's involved.

Graham 0409317366
    graham@reckonhelp.com.au

Graham Boast | 0409 317366 | graham@reckonhelp.com.au