Importing QIF files from Bendigo Bank to Reckon Accounts Home & Business 2019

Bob Allardice
Bob Allardice Member Posts: 3
I am having trouble importing QIF transaction files from Bendigo bank.  Only a few transactions are being imported instead of the 30 or so that so in the file itself when edited using Notepad.

After a few trials I have found that deleting the L field lines from each trnsaction in the QIF files allows all the records to be imported.  There are L fields in downloads from my other banks but they seem to import OK

very strange - any ideas?

Comments

• Andrew_8758259
    Andrew_8758259 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hi Bob

I can't help you specifically with Bendigo Bank.  From some old QIF notes I saw that the 'L' Field in a QIF file is:

L Category (Category/Subcategory/Transfer/Class)

Andrew
  • Bob Allardice
    edited February 2019
    thanks, i have seen that too.  i'll just keep editing the file as it is the only one I have trouble with
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,039 Reckon Staff
    edited July 2019
    Hi Bob,

Just in case it may assist others affected can you please confirm the following:

For the Bendigo Bank QIF file, are those lines that have the "L" character as the first character in the line, is there additional data that represents the Category/SubCategory/Transfer/Class value or are they blank?

Example:

!Type:Bank  D03/03/19  T-379.00  PCITY OF SPRINGFIELD  LFuel:car  ^
    or

!Type:Bank  D03/03/19  T-379.00  PCITY OF SPRINGFIELD   L  ^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicken_Interchange_Format

Regards,

Data Recovery Team
  • Bob Allardice
    edited July 2019
    They have characters after the "L" eg

LTCR
    ^

LJCR
    ^

LWDL
    ^

LDEP
    ^
    I have seen these on the category list so they should be seen as a valid entry but for some reason they are not.  Deleting those "L" lines makes the import succeed
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,039 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2019
    Hi Bob,

Thanks for confirming that.

Not quite sure why that is not working for you.

As a test a QIF as shown below

!Type:Bank D03/03/19 T-379.00 PCITY OF SPRINGFIELD  LTCR 
    ^

Was imported into a newly created blank test data file into an account called "Chequing"

The Category "TCR" (of type expense) was ensured to be already present in the Category List.

The import was successful and the transaction appeared ready to be accepted into the register.

You've indicated that in your circumstance, the removal of the line beginning with that "L" identifier, allows the import to succeed.

Another test showed that if the value after "L" identifier did not exist in the Category List, that a pop up notification window is displayed indicating that there was an "unrecognised category or class found" with a prompt asking whether a new category or class should be created.

If you are comfortable with opening up QIF files in a text editor and want to get to the bottom of the issue, consider:

a) whether creating a new test category such as "ZZZZ" in your existing data file, then modifying one of those transactions that normally would not have been imported by changing the line from say "LTCR" to "LZZZZ" allows it to import

b) whether importing a small subset of the Bendigo QIF into a blank new file to see if the behaviour remains the same.

Regards,

Data Recovery Team