casual employee to be quarterly - no pay frequency for this

Felicity Van
Felicity Van Member Posts: 64
edited July 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
I have an employee who is to be paid quarterly.  However, when going to set them up in our Reckon Accounts Enterprise there is no pay frequency for quarterly.

Only weekly, fortnightly, monthly or four weekly.

How do I get around this issue?

Comments

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Felicity. You don't need to set it up under a schedule.  Rather, when you go to Pay Employees, instead of clicking on Scheduled Payroll, you will need to click on Unscheduled Payroll, and change  the dates to the period involved.  However, I suspect that you could have issues with the calculation of the tax because there may not be tax scales for quarterly payments, but I stand to be illuminated on that point..
    John L G 
  • Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited May 2019
    In addition to John's suggestion for processing, bear in mind that Fair Work stipulates that employees should be paid as often as directed by their award, but at a minimum it should be at least monthly?
  • Felicity Van
    edited July 2020

Hi John,

I don't have an option of "unscheduled Payroll".  I can leave the payroll schedule blank, but then I have to select the pay frequency & that's where I have the issue.

• John Graetz
    edited May 2019
    Hi Felicity.  As mentioned above when you go to process a pay, ?Employees> Pay Employees,? you are presented with two options ?Scheduled Payroll? and ?Unscheduled Payroll.?  This has no relationship as such with the Payroll Info tab.  Even if you have somebody set up with say a fortnightly pay, you can still use the option ?Unscheduled Payroll ?for specific events which might occur.  In your particular situation, you would leave the ?Payroll Schedule? box blank and then when you want to process a pay, you would use the ?Unscheduled Payroll ?option.  The Fair Work issue that Linda mentioned above is definitely something which you have to carefully consider.
    John L G 
  • Kwikbooks (Professional Partner)
    Kwikbooks (Professional Partner) Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Hi Felicity

You need to set up the schedules if you want different pay runs, most don't as they only use weekly.  Go to Employees>Add or edit payroll schedules, here you can set them up, if you choose weekly, and link it to the dates it will auto generate when you select the weekly scheduled pays.

Now there is still no choice for quarterly, BUT, if you name one Quarterly, and just choose say monthly, at least this employee will not come up on the weekly run.

Once schedules are set up, go to all employee cards and add their pay schedule to their cards as per your screen shot above.  For the quarterly one choose quarterly.

The date want generate correctly when you do their schedule but at least they want come up on weekly.

once you setup schedules, when you click on the pay employees you will now see your schedule choices as John was saying above.
  • Felicity Van
    edited May 2019
    Thank you.  However, does this mean that I will need to work out the tax withheld manually?  As Reckon doesn't have the choice of quarterly payroll?
  • Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited May 2019
    Yes Felicity - you will need to work it out manually, as no one does quarterly payroll - so I dont expect you will find any software package that could calculate it automatically and the ATO dont have tax tables for it either.  Cheers Linda
    edited May 2019
    Hi Felicity

Yes, manual tax if you want to put it through quarterly, consider this work around...  is it possible you can divide their quarterly pay by 1/3 and set up a monthly pay, then create 3 monthly pays at the end of the quarter, then just pay them the one net amount for all 3 pays?

email me if you want some help  kim@kwikbooks.com.au
  • Felicity Van
    edited May 2019
    Yes!!! thank you, why didn't I think of doing that.

Appreciate your help :)
    edited May 2019
    Hi Felicity

You are most welcome, we are here to help.  Keep my email if you like just in case
  • John Graetz
    edited May 2019
    Hi Felicity.  If you don't know in advance what the quarterly payment might be, there is another "assisted" option that you can consider.  The Australian Taxation Office has an app available for smart phones and also for computers.  You can find it in the Apple App Store by searching under ATO Tax Calculator or for desktop/notebook computers, do a google search for ATO Tax Withheld Calculator.  And, surprise, surprise, these have an option for quarterly calculations.  I find the phone one to be very helpful when working out the tax treatment of various pay scenarios.
    John L G  
  • Oats
    Oats Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2019
    Great Advice and yes it comes in very handy.