LSL available calculation

Sam Lakeland
Sam Lakeland Member Posts: 3
edited June 2020 in Accounts Hosted
Hi,  I have a client that wants only available LSL showing on payslips.  The payslips show LSL available at present,  the issue I have is staff are entitled to their LSL after 10 years so that is when it is available unless they leave,  then they have to wait a further 5 years to get the next batch.  this issue I have is that after 10yrs it continues to just add on instead of waiting the next 5 years.  Can I do anything about this or is it an issue for Reckon? Thanks

Comments

• Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2020
    This doesnt sound like a normal LSL Act - which state are you referring to that makes you wait another 5 years after the first 10 years of LSL accrual? 
  • Shirley Ingle
    Shirley Ingle Accredited Partner Posts: 138 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited March 2018

Hi Sam To stop the accrual happening, try putting 0.00 in the Maximum hours area.

Usually unless you leave that area blank, the accrual won't calculate.

• Judy Purkiss
    Judy Purkiss Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2019
    Are you in WA.  If so they don't have to wait the next 5 years for the next batch, it still accures, however it accures on full years of service rather than down to the weeks of service like between 7 & 10 years.   Here's the wageline info.   https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/sites/default/files/atoms/files/long_service_leave_calculation_guide_0817.pdf
  • Judy Purkiss
    Judy Purkiss Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2019
    Yes is does, however that doesn't mean they are entitled to it immediately and I believe Sam wished to only show what they are entitled to on their payslip.  I would like to do the same so that those that have become entitled can see it and those that aren't yet due it can't see it.   For example, in WA, up to 7 years it is accuring but they aren't entitled to it and if they leave they don't get it, so don't want it to show until the 7 years are completed.    Between 7 and 10 years they would be entitled to it if they left so I would want it show on their payslips.  After 10 years, they are entitled to it after each completed year so after 10 years would only want it to update at the end of the completed year.  The query isn't so much about the accrual rate, but how to have it showing correctly to match what they are entitled based on the different points in time that it becomes an entitlement in this state.  (And no, I don't want to do this outside of reckon manually).
  • Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited July 2019
    would you like to fact check that Kevin? https://www.fairwork.gov.au/leave/long-service-leave Victoria overhauled their Act in 2018, so I thought you would be all over this.

Graham Boast | 0409 317366 | graham@reckonhelp.com.au

• Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited October 2019
    I would be really interested to see a hyperlink to that. This is from the Fairwork link I posted above. It’s buried deep within the 2nd sentence, so you may not have read that far. Long service leave An employee gets long service leave after a long period of working for the same employer. Most employees' entitlement to long service leave comes from long service leave laws in each state or territory. These laws set out: - how long an employee has to be working to get long service leave (eg. after 7 years) - how much long service leave the employee gets. Linda is quite correct in asking which State. In Victoria for example employees can take LSL after 7 years and in chunks of 1 day minimum. Graham 0409317366 graham@reckonhelp.com.au

• Graham Boast
    edited July 2019
    Can you give me a hyperlink. I can’t see it anywhere

• Jamie Stewart_6481493
    Jamie Stewart_6481493 Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2019
    Hi Judy.  Did you work out how to enter this?  We are in WA.

I have an employee that has worked 8.67 years.

I've calculated this works out to be:

Hours available as of 10/10/2019...285.76
    Accrual period = every pay (weekly)

What is the Hours accred each pay?  It only lets you go to 2 decimal places
  • Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited October 2019
    Hi Jamie - for clients who want something on the payslip - I set it up to add 49.4 hrs (1.3 weeks x 38hrs) - once per annum on their anniversary date - but then I put a note on the bottom of the payslip that LSL accrual is indicative only and would need to be verified before any payment.  If someone is a part time worker then their average hours would need to be calculated before they are paid the accrual? 
    So really the value of LSL should only change once per year as they complete that year of service?  Less any LSL taken of course (if they are eligible)...
  • Jamie Stewart_6481493
    Jamie Stewart_6481493 Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2019
    Thanks Linda