MFA backup codes

Ral
Ral Member Posts: 3
edited August 2019 in Payroll Premier
Can MFA backup codes be generated in GovConnect STP in case we lose our device or our device doesn't work?

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited August 2018
    Hi Ral,
    No you cannot have an alternative source for MFA as a backup.

If you lose your device, please get in touch with our Support team so we can address this. 

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Wendy_9933611
    Wendy_9933611 Member Posts: 34
    edited August 2019
    Rav - further to this query - is there a way to have MFA that is not a text message? Can it go to an email address for example?
    We want to have a back up person set up for STP payroll and I am unclear whether the share reckon Gov Connect is before or after the MFA code is required.
    thanks in advance,
    wendy

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited August 2019
    Hi Wendy,
    For the full fledged GovConnect service there are a couple of options for Multi-Factor Authentication; SMS and Google Authenticator. It cannot go to an email address.

In regard to sharing, the person you're sharing with needs to create their own Reckon Portal account and then you'll share the STP entity from YOUR Portal account to theirs. This is all AFTER logging and verifying yourself via MFA.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Wendy_9933611
    edited August 2019
    Thanks so much Rav - I appreciate your reply. I will have our back up payroll person set up a second Reckon Portal account.
    I am trying to have something in place for someone who doesn't regularly do payroll and would be under pressure to begin with.
    Surely i am incorrect in thinking there is only one MFA recipient possible? What happens when the mobile phone is not available on a payroll day? Can there be 2 recipient mobile numbers each time for the MFA? I am not sure contacting support to solve the issue on a payroll day is practical - you can easily be on hold between 1-2 hours and that's before anything is addressed/solved. The stress can be overwhelming when you cannot get help under such a deadline.
    cheers,
    Wendy

• Rav
    edited August 2019
    So think of it this way, each person who has a Reckon Portal account that requires access to GovConnect needs their OWN MFA source.
    So in your example, the second person will set up their own Portal account and have their own MFA on their own phone either via SMS or Google Authenticator.

So say YOU are the person who is the original owner of the Portal account & STP entity with MFA on your phone and then you go on holiday (& take your phone with you), the second person can login into their own account, verify themselves with their own MFA on their own phone and then carry on with STP submissions because you've shared the entity with them.

I'll link an article we have below on sharing the STP entity & MFA -

How to share your STP entity with other users

MFA (Multi-Factor Authentication)

• Wendy_9933611
    edited August 2019
    Perfect - that is exactly what i was hoping for. Thanks Rav - will get second person set up.