How do I start stp reporting mid year and ensure casual employees are included in ytd figures

Christine_10179727
Christine_10179727 Member Posts: 5
edited September 2019 in Accounts Hosted
It is mid August and we now have our Reckon Hosted data file ready to start STP reporting.  During July we paid three casual employees who are not currently working with us.  How can I make sure our first pay event that we lodge with the ATO picks up the YTD figures for our full time employees and these three casuals?

Comments

• Christine_10179727
    edited August 2019
    When I "Process Single Touch Payroll" for the current pay event I am only given the option of including the two full time employees.  I can see that it does pick up their YTD figures but it is not including the casual employees that were paid in early July.
  • Neil_6428218
    Neil_6428218 Reckon Staff Posts: 88 Reckon Staff
    edited August 2019
    Hi Christine,

We've got the below Help file on commencing STP mid-year.

STP works on YTD, so the next time the employee is paid, their YTD's will be sent via STP, if they don't work again for the rest of the year, they will be picked up in the EOFY process.

https://help.reckon.com/reckon-accounts/payroll/single-touch-payroll/commencing-mid-year
  • Christine_10179727
    edited August 2019
    Thanks, Neil.  So it is ok for the company's year to date figures lodged with the ATO to be incorrect for the entire year and only to be corrected when finalising year end?  Seems wrong to me.
  • Christine_10179727
    edited August 2019
    The ATO were surprised the software did not include an option to include all employees paid so far this payroll year in the first pay event to be lodged.
  • Neil_6428218
    Neil_6428218 Reckon Staff Posts: 88 Reckon Staff
    edited August 2019
    Hi Christine, 

Have a look at the below ATO page, it gives you info on the various options (the third option matches what i posted above)

https://www.ato.gov.au/business/single-touch-payroll/in-detail/single-touch-payroll-employer-reporting-guidelines/

The other option is to use the Payrun drop down on the STP window to lodge the earlier pays (for those employees)

Cheers
    Neil
  • Christine_10179727
    edited August 2019
    Thanks, again, Neil.  I have already been told by the ATO that I cannot lodge the earlier pays because they must be lodged prior to the pay date.  So, I guess, from the below 3 options that the ATO give as methods fro Transitioning to Single Touch Payroll the only option Reckon offer is the third one.  I was concerned because these were the 2018 transition options and I thought all our YTD balances would need to be lodged with the ATO before 30 September this year.

Your digital service provider (DSP) will give you information to support you when you transition to STP reporting. They will let you know which of the following methods to use:

• Provide an opening year-to-date balance for all employees (active, inactive and terminated) in an update event.
    • Report year-to-date balances for all employees (active, inactive and terminated) in your first pay event.
    • Report year-to-date amounts for employees through a STP pay event and year-to-date amounts for inactive and terminated employees in a later update event which must be lodged by 14 July or the deferred due date.