Protected or Shared Worksheet Error Message

Gemma
Gemma Member Posts: 60
edited September 2019 in Accounts Hosted
I'm using Reckon Hosted.  I've been exporting to the same excel worksheet for weeks and now an error message is appearing:

Excel does not permit exporting to a protected or shared worksheet or adding a sheet to a protected workbook.

Use the Excel Tools menu to change the workbook settings.

The worksheet is a plain XLS file.

Anyone have a solution to this frustrating problem? Not sure why all of a sudden it's doing this. 

Comments

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited July 2018
    Hello Gemma,

Thanks for asking.

The message accurately describes the situation - the file you are exporting to is protected with a password (in Excel, Review > Protect Workbook).  Reckon Accounts cannot write to such a file.  

You can save your export to a new file.

If you want to continue using the same file then download it to your local PC and remove the protection - Review > Protect Workbook and enter the password. 

Hope it helps.

regards,
    John
  • Gemma
    edited July 2018
    Hi John

Appreciate your response however the worksheet is definitely not protected with a password.  It's a blank excel document - nothing fancy. 

The problem is hot and cold.  I can be using the same worksheet to export to without any issue and then all of a sudden the error message pops up and I can't export.

• John G
    edited July 2018
    Thanks Gemma,

Is someone else accessing the file at the times you are exporting?
    Can you save it to a new excel file?

regards,
    john  
  • Gemma
    edited July 2018
    Hi John, no-one else is accessing the file.  This problem is ongoing and now one of my colleagues is experiencing the same issue with a worksheet that no-one else is using and is not protected.

It's just happened to me again after using and exporting to the same worksheet all day.

Very frustrating.

The only solution I have found is to completely restart my computer.

• John G
    edited July 2018
    Thanks Gemma for eliminating the protection end of the excel file.  

There are a few issues that may explain your experience.

There is a compatibility issue when the file you are trying to save to was created on your local PC in .xlsx format and uploaded to Hosted.  The upgraded version of Hosted now runs on a Windows Server version that no longer supports the saving by a .xls system (Reckon Accounts) to a .xlsx file.  Such an error can result from it, and it will now happen all the time.  Saving to a new file will not be an issue.

Another possible source is that another user worked with the file and the system did not let it go when they finished to allow another user to save to it.  Saving to a new file will not be an issue

A final possibility is that the native Hosted backup was backing up your file at that particular time and so locking out other users while the backup is in progress.  The error you get is the best fit message but does not describe what is actually happening.  Trying again in a couple of minutes is likely to succeed. saving to a new file will not be an issue.

Rebooting your local PC does not contribute to the solution you obtained; its starting a new Hosted session (that in almost all circumstances puts you on to a different Hosted server), and perhaps the passage of time, that restored your ability to save to the file.  

A workaround you can try is to save to a new worksheet but then select your existing Excel file.  

I hope these explanations help you navigate around the times you encounter this error.

regards,
    John.
  • Gemma
    edited July 2018
    Thank you John. Appreciate your help.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2018
    Im having the same issue.  Work book I'm creating has some 20 pages. (monthly reporting package)
    I will have saved some pages to the workbook and then the next page wont be able to be saved as the workbook has been protected.  No-one else has access to the file.
    Becoming a time wasting exercises.  

• Gemma
    edited December 2018
    I still experience the problem every now and then and so do others I work with.  The only solution I have found is to exit out of Reckon and log back in.  That seems to fix it. 
  • Bronwyn_6928829
    Bronwyn_6928829 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2019
    I am getting this exact problem and it is very frustrating.  Obviously the issue has not been rectified.
    What is the current solution.
    I am trying to export 6 files to a newly created excel doc.  It will accept 3 or 4 and then bring up the error message. 'Excel does not permit exporting to a protected or shared worksheet ......' I have tried to create a new excel doc for each report and i still get an error message.
    Permanent solutions please

• Gemma
    edited July 2019
    Hi Bronwyn,  I still get this issue at least once a week.  The only solution I have found is to exit Reckon and log back in.  I struggle to think of any issues I have raised on the forum that Reckon have either responded to or resolved. Unfortunately the support is lacking. 
  • Bethtx
    Bethtx Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2019
    SOLUTION FOUND!!  Your Excel worksheet must be in the Normal view.  If your Excel sheet is in the Page Layout view, QuickBooks for some reason recognizes that as Protected.