Newly installed Reckon Personal Plus 2020,, previous data file not restored properly

Erin Moss
Erin Moss Member Posts: 6
13 November 2019

Just installed Peronsal Plus 2020 (NZ) on a new windows 10 computer. followed instructions for installing and all seems to be done correctly. Continued to activation, proceeded as it should, continued to "existing reckon user" and "select data file: and chose "restore data file I've backed up to a disk", selected the USB flash drive, Quicken Backups folder I'd created and "QDATA_20191106" (which was last backup of previous 2012 version from old computer), it asked for my password, did that, took me to product registration, did that and registration completed. New Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2020 - QDATA_20191106 - (Home) shows on screen along with all my account balances. However... when I then selected any individual account - there are NO transactions showing? 

When I click the "file" tab, at the bottom it shows a tick and F:\Quicken Backups\QDATA\_20191106 (being the location of the USB flash drive with the backed up file on)

Then I exited and opened the programme again, and with the flash drive still in some of the accounts showed a few transactions, but with big gaps, and not all transactions. When I remove the flash drive then it goes back to showing no transactions...

I also tried "file - restore back up file - restore back up" took me to "restore a back up - click here to check your preferences and defaults" which was to set up future backups, not restoring

Can someone help please? I tried phone support but they wouldn't help and sent me here

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited November 2019
    Hi Erin,
    Can you please move the file from your USB drive to a local destination on your PC and then retry.
    Also, can you please ensure that the file name is less than 8 characters.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Erin Moss
    edited November 2019
    Hi Rav, thank you so much for your prompt reply! I exited the software the opened it again, and it started off again asking if I was a newbie or existing, so I continued with the "select your data file" and restore file again, with the QDATA+201911061 selected, this time the Reckon accounts files was showing as (*.QDF;*.QB1:*RKN) - this wasn't like this the first time (it was just the .QDF), so I continued with that and it set up as it should - am so relieved. I don't know why it didn't do that the first time around, as I very carefully followed each step and wrote everything down...

Also, I just did first proper back up under the new version and it said with a tick "backup data to compressed archive (.rkn) file - is this a newer backup format? In the future will I be able to restore from this file type if for any reason I encounter a problem, or next time I upgrade computer/software?

Thanks again for your prompt reply...

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,204 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert
    edited November 2019
    Erin
    You should be ok with all that making sure you change your file name to something under 8 characters. Don't copy over any existing backup in future.
    Gerry

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

Email: gwinter0808@gmail.com

• Erin Moss
    edited November 2019
    14 November 2019

Thanks so much for your replies, I really do appreciate it! I have renamed the data file, so the path is now: Documents-Quicken-QDATA . I was interested in Gerry's comment of "don't copy over any existing backup in the future', I really don't know how that happened, as I just followed the prompts/instructions... I am wondering if I was partly put askew from the beginning, I did check with Reckon as to the correct procedure (old computer using 2012 Quicken to new Windows 10 computer with new 2020 Reckon)... this is what they said to do:
    1. Back up existing 2012 Quicken data to a USB flash or external drive
    2. Don't transfer any Quicken files from the old computer to new computer
    3. On new computer, install the new 2020 Reckon software
    4. Once installed on new computer - then "file - restore"

However the prompts didn't happen like that, once installed on the new computer, activating/registering etc etc, it welcomed me then said select new to Reckon or existing user etc then said to go to the data file (in the USB) which I did etc - this is when the account balances came up, but no transactions. I got there in the end though, and thanks so much for your help

In your opinions, for the future/next time I have to changed computers - what is the correct procedure for changing over?

Another interesting thing, if any of you could help with please, I did a print out of account balances in old Quicken 2012 before the changeover, so I could check everything came across okay, it all looks good, except one of our share portfolios has a different "current balance" from "ending balance" in the new 2020 Reckon, whereas in the old 2012 Quicken the balances were the same - I can't see where/how/why this would be? Any thoughts?

Again, thank you so much

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,204 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert
    edited November 2019
    Do you still have access to your old computer, call me and we will work thru it together
    Gerry 0418907140

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

• Erin Moss
    edited November 2019
    14 November 2019
    Thank you so much for that very generous offer Gerry, that is so very kind of you! Our old computer is put away at the moment, and with so much on the go at the moment it'll take some time to re-set everything up again. What country are you in...? (we're in NZ) so could be a time difference thing to work around as well...
  • GerryWinter
    edited November 2019
    WA. when ever you are ready just call.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

• Erin Moss
    edited November 2019
    Thanks Gerry, just re-checked time difference, is 5 hours. I think I'll work away at it rather than try and set up old computer again, but I sincerely thank you for your very generous offer, it is much appreciated!

You'll no doubt see me back here at some stage as I work through new aspects, although it mostly looks very familiar (2020 v 2012 versions)

I have re-looked at the share portfolio "current balance" and "ending balance", I know it would usually be because in "current" balance there'd be items entered that are due to activate on a future date, however this isn't the case in the share portfolio, so it does seem a bit weird... technology huh

Thanks again
  • Darran
    Darran Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi Erin. I had similar problems whereby it wouldn’t recognise the folder where the QDF were saved. It appeared to resolve itself following a maintenance upgrade with Win10. Maybe check that there are no outstanding updates to Windows. Re your comment “I tried phone support but they wouldn't help and sent me here” - check your software licence terms - they said same to me until I pointed out that my 2020 subscription licence actually states at Clause 6 it was, that email and phone support is provided. I called them out on this and they started calling me to see if I mange to resolve. Something to check.
  • Erin Moss
    edited November 2019
    Thank you Darran, that is really helpful, I would be interested to know your software version (Personal Plus?). I've read a lot of the small print and it does talk about tech support (including provision of help desk support) "in line with their current support policy" or words to that effect and to check online and in line with their "sunset period"... I've looked online and can find neither (easily), so I will try them out on the phone and see what comes of it! Thanks again
  • Ray Thompson
    Ray Thompson Member Posts: 21 ✭✭

Why has this '8 Digit' filename limit been implemented? I also note that once you have opened the '8 Digit' file, then other files (with long file names) will open from within the 'running' program - but remember to go back to the '8 Digit' file before closing the program - Else you will get hit with the "are you a newbie OR an existing user" and have to locate the '8 Digit' file

• GerryWinter

It is a recommendation as long names will sometimes cause problems, your other problem can come from file locations.

Call me if you want me to have a look.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

• GerryWinter

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

• Ray Thompson

Gerry, several days after my comments 16.03.21 I experienced many program fatal crashes when working within files with LONG names!!! (I SENT reports in relation to the crashes, but am not holding breath waiting for a response). The crashes left me with no alternative that to RENAME my files to the 8-digit protocol - the renaming appears to have sorted the crashing issues (a pain in the bum).

I have also sorted the invalid data that appeared in my Share Portfolio following the relocation (to a new/additional Hard Drive on my computer) of Reckon Personal Plus - reinstalled a previous BACKUP & brought the file up to date by inputting the recent changes etc (another big pain in the bum!)

• GerryWinter

Good to hear, sort of, dont expect a response from the crashed reports but if you want i can have a look at your setup as far as data locations and backups go. Just give me a call.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

• GerryWinter

Do you live in Broken Hill by any chance.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

• Ray Thompson

Gerry, I live in Loganlea Queensland

• John_10865245
    John_10865245 Member Posts: 1

experiencing problems at times opening Reckon Personal Plus 2020... since installing Winows11 and placing backup on an external drive

• GerryWinter

Please call me after Wed. when we get home and we will fix it.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"