HOW TO: Simple steps for Exporting and Importing Lists (IIF) from Reckon Accounts Desktop and Hosted

Datarec_ReckonLtd
Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,039 Reckon Staff
edited June 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)

Once you are logged in and opened the source company data file you can Export your Lists.

Click on File menu
Click on Utilities
Click on Export
Click on Lists to IIF Files

Choose the specific list types you require

Example:  

Then click the OK button to begin the export process.

It will export to a known location on your local hard drive as a plain-text tab-delimited file in the IIF format (Intuit Interchange Format)

Once you are logged in and opened the new/destination company data file you can Import your Lists.

Click on File menu
Click on Utilities
Click on Import
Click on IIF Files

Regards,

Data Recovery Team

Comments

• Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited June 2020
    These are great posts you guys are putting up!  Rav, is there a way we can flag/mark these types of posts so we can easily find them again?  thank you!  (I would like to be able to direct my clients to them!)...
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    edited July 2019
    Hi Linda,

You can also click on a user profile and filter it to show only those authored by that particular user.

Example:
    https://community.reckon.com/reckon/people/data_rec?profile-topic-list[settings][action_filter]=authored

Regards,

Data Recovery Team
  • Linda ABC
    Linda ABC Accredited Partner Posts: 1,131 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited July 2019
    Thank you! another day not wasted! ;)
  • Krischan
    Krischan Member Posts: 23
    edited January 2020
    Hi guys, I have a question. I'm trying to export the item list so that I can change the pricing and then re-import with new pricing. The above outlines to export as an IFF file. However, our computer does not seem to be able to open this. Can the file be exported and imported in Excel format for this purpose? If so is there anything to be aware of? I don't want to import and overwrite the existing data and have the entered data lost.
    Thanks in advance for any assistance.  
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    edited January 2020
    Hi Krischan,

The IIF file is a plain-text tab delimited file.
    You can open it in Excel.

We recommend that you:

1) Make a backup of your data file
    2) Export the Item List
    3) Open the Item List in Excel (set all columns to be of type Text or General)
    4) Modify the information as needed
    5) Save the modified file as a plain-text tab delimited file
    6) Import into your data file (QBW)
    7) Check that all the changes are reflected correctly

If any problems occur, restore the backup file.

Regards,

Reckon Data Recovery Team

• Sheryl_10313093
    Sheryl_10313093 Member Posts: 57
    edited June 2020
    I have followed the steps above.  I need to change items in the Item list from Stock to Part.  Seems simple enough but when I am importing the changed item list IIF file, I received errors regarding the tax code changing therefore the file not successfully updating.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have read the list and do not see how any changes are being made in the Tax Type column.  It remains unchanged from when exported.
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    edited June 2020
    Hi Sheryl,

You cannot change the TYPE of an item from Stock to Part by simply changing the IIF file.
    You will need to create new Items of type Part and make the Stock items inactive.

The tax code issue is a separate problem.
    Basically indicates that you have items where that column TAXABLE says "Y" but the Tax code columns for that item do not have a tax code set.

You will need to check each item line and see which items are affected.

• Sheryl_10313093
    Sheryl_10313093 Member Posts: 57
    edited June 2020
    Thank you for your help.