Quickbooks task does not end

Anton Strauss
Anton Strauss Member Posts: 98
edited August 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
After sending an invoice via Outlook 2016 from Reckon Accounts Plus 2016, I close reckon accounts. However, the process remains in Takmanager and as a result, Outlook 2016 fails to start. I need to manually end the Reckon process in Taskmanager in order to use Outlook. The same issue happened with Reckon Accounts Plus 2015. See video
http://www.videoproductions.com.au/QB/Anton-00025.mp4

Comments

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Anton.  I seem to recall something like this happening to me quite some time ago - my recollection, if correct, was that Reckon hadn't actually sent the invoices and that it was still trying to do so, hence the reason why it hadn't shut down properly.  Have you checked to see that the Invoices were actually sent and appear in the Sent Box?  Your other longer winded option would be to print to PDF and then manually send out the invoices.  Don't know if this is going to help at all.  John L G
  • Anton Strauss
    edited March 2017
    yes, I make sure invoice is in sent items, then I close Outlook, then I close Reckon Accounts
  • Spilly
    Spilly Member Posts: 182 ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    This issue Was in previous versions and yep another issue that hasn't been fix, can be reproduced, the fix is make sure Outlook is open prior to sending invoices and you will not have the issue. This issue is also in RA premier 15, 16
  • Anton Strauss
    edited March 2017
    thanks, I will try that the next few times and report back
  • Anton Strauss
    edited March 2017
    I have tested and it only works if Outlook is open prior to sending invoice and Outlook is still open when closing Quickbooks

if I close Outlook prior to Quickbooks, the process remains in Taskmanager and Outlook fails to start until I end the QB process
  • Spilly
    edited August 2020
    Yes, that is the behavior that can be reproduced. With Outlook 2010, 13,16 RA 15,16
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi Anton, Tim, John,

When you have a long emailing list, it will take Reckon Accounts some time to generate the PDFs and create the emails - you'll know this process is still going on by the printer icon churning in your System Tray. When that activity completes it should be OK to close Reckon Accounts.  

Whether Outlook should be opened before you start sending emails depends on the combination of your operating system, Outlook and Reckon Accounts versions - having it opened certainly makes the process easier as Reckon Accounts does not need to launch Outlook and navigate your PC's security to get there.  

When you exit Reckon Accounts while the generation process is still happening, then both may hang and ending the process in the Task Manager is necessary to allow you to launch again.  .

Otherwise, the problem may be related to something else - most likely with the PDF converter.  A full outline of Reckon Accounts hanging due to PDF converter issues is described in this lengthy article focussed on another problem but may be relevant here.  

Hope this helps.  

regards,
    John.

• Anton Strauss
    edited March 2017
    Hi John

I have the issue here when only emailing a single invoice. If I close Outlook prior to closing Quickbooks, the QB process remains in taskmanager and Outlook can't be started

If I leave Outlook open, then close Quickbooks and then close Outlook, all is well

Note: after emailing a single invoice, the printer icon remains in taskbar for at least 30 sec after the email is already in sent items of Outlook, strange
  • John G
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for the additional information Anton,

Sounds like a PDF converter issue.  Suggest you un-install all Reckon Accounts PDF converters on your PC and re-install the current one - a guide is available here (its also in the article above).  Just remember to install from the Reckon Accounts 2016 folder.

If your problem persists then call Tech support for more one-to-one attention.

Hope this helps,

regards,
    John.

• Spilly
    edited August 2020
    John, this issue has been in the last 2 releases regardless of the version of Outlook, so are you telling us the PDF converter is sending the email via mapi? Not Reckon Accounts.
  • John G
    edited August 2020
    Hi Tim,

A PDF is created first and then an email is created and sent to Outlook.  Where this process for creating just one email takes an inordinately long time the problem is commonly with the PDF converter installation on this PC.  

This issue is not a common one reported by users and if the problem persists after a PDF Converter re-install then its best to call Tech Support who'll help identify the cause from a larger number of possible contributors to the problem.  .  

regards,
    John

• Spilly
    edited April 2016
    That isn't the issue is these cases, I have been able to reproduce this issue on any number of installation over the last 2 releases, emails and PDF are created immediately without delay however QBW32.exe does end it's task. MapiSendmail clearly works, mail is created and sent to the outbox, however i think MapiLogoff is not working or is not catching an error if there is any error catching (which there should be), therefore not releasing the .pst file.
  • Anton Strauss
    edited March 2017
    same here, as soon as I click to send the invoice, it is right away sitting in the outbox of Outlook and I can send it right away

once sent, the printer icon remains on taskbar for a further 30 sec, strange

the problem started around 2 - 3 years ago, prior versions were fine
  • Anton Strauss
    edited February 2020
    I finally updated to Win 10 and the issue remains. When closing Reckon Accounts Plus 2019, it remains running in task manager and prevents Outlook from opening.

The only workaround:
    Open Outlook before opening Reckon Accounts and closing Reckon Accounts before Outlook

will this issue ever be addressed?

Outlooks if the latest version that is always updated as part of Microsoft Office 365

Alternatively, why not support other email clients such as my default one which is Thunderbird
  • Anton Strauss

and I still have the same issue with Reckon Accounts Plus 2022

it appears this issue is not fixable