Supplier changes and modifications reporting. Audited by user.

Sally_10779236
Sally_10779236 Member Posts: 3
edited July 2020 in Accounts Hosted
Hi there, any suggestions on how we can run a report on changes and modifications to supplier files. Not transactions but modifications eg new, hidden, edited, deleted etc and audited by user/role? Much thanks!

Comments

• Bruce
    Bruce Member Posts: 439 Professional Partner Professional Partner
    edited July 2020
    Yes Go to Reports/accountant/audit trail It shows the history of all transactions that fit within whatever filters you select
  • Sally_10779236
    edited July 2020
    Thanks Bruce, can I confirm please ... I am after any instances that supplier details may be changed eg. bank account details, new suppliers, address changes etc - does this report cover that as well or just purely financial transactions. Muchly appreciated. Sally

• Bruce
    edited July 2020
    Sally, this report is purely transactional - so its not going to satisfy your needs. 

I can't think of anything which is going to help.  You might need to talk to the Reckon helpline.]

PS:   Your request makes me wonder if you don't have some poor/questionable behaviours going on.  I hope this is not an issue for you.
  • Sally_10779236
    edited July 2020
    Thanks Bruce, we couldn't find anything either. Nothing questionable at all and our controls, user permissions etc are pretty sound. Just a new audit question here in WA :)
  • Michelle_RHealth
    Michelle_RHealth Member Posts: 12

I have this question too. It isn't related to actual problems, but is related to risks of scammers posing as an employee or supplier on email and requesting their payment details be updated to a different bank account.

Our auditor has identified this as a fraud risk, and informs us that other mainstream accounting software can provide an alert to users if a supplier or employee bank account gets changed for online payment details.

So I'm wondering if this is proposed for development sometime soon by Reckon? (Otherwise our auditor will likely recommend to our board every year that we change accounting software to one that does this already.)

• Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,272 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert

I have seen this type of fraud, but not within a program, more along the lines of emails containing invoices being intercepted and bank information being changed and then sent

• Michelle_RHealth
    Michelle_RHealth Member Posts: 12

Yes that's the issue we were asked to consider, and not external hacking of the software. The auditor's point was having an extra layer to protect us if one employee is convinced by a scammer and makes the change based on a fake invoice or similar. The alert or report would help the manager approving the batch to intervene and check that it was legit to make changes to the bank accounts before releasing payments. They knew of an example where it had happened and been significant funds involved.

In our case we almost had it happen where the payroll officer believed they were communicating with a staff member on email about changing their primary bank account for payroll. After this we made it policy for staff to independently contact a staff member or supplier to verify they had generated the request, but the auditor is also looking for some sort of audit trail or report as well.

If there is a report in Reckon already that does this that would be great.

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager

Hi folks,

Some very interesting discussion here and quite important too with the evolving nature of fraudulent activity out there. As @Kris_Williams has also mentioned, I've come across some reports in the media where bank details have been altered after an email account was compromised.

In regard to Reckon Accounts Hosted, currently the Audit Trail is as close as it gets to providing a 'paper trail' so to speak of user activity. I will however send some of the points made here to our Hosted product team. I can't say that we'll be making any changes in near future or even if the codebase would allow this kind of implementation however its certainly worth consideration.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,272 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert

Not to my knowledge..

• Bruce

Looking at a couple of potential fraudulent activities mentioned above the biggest threat is a fraudulent "change of bank account details", I never act on email advice. Whenever I receive notice of a change of bank account I always ring the supplier/employee concerned and confirm the change independently. I have never had anyone who has objected to me doing this. (Sadly I must own up to not being so diligent the first time I enter a suppliers/employees details. 😥 Clearly I need to re-consider my habits in these instances.)

Also, have a look at your electronic banking program. Some banks have a flag which notifies anybody who is involved with the setting up/signing off of payments of details of any new payee, any change of payee details or any payment to an "inactive" supplier. This should serve as a reminder for those involved to be have a second look at what is happening.

• Vickie Wesolowski
    Vickie Wesolowski Member Posts: 31

I know this is an old thread Rav but has Reckon looked into this further. It's targeted by our auditors every year.

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @Vickie Wesolowski

No unfortunately there haven't been any developments in this area. With that said, I would highly recommend logging this on our Ideas Portal which I'll link below. Add in as much detail as possible particularly around your use case as you've mentioned its something your auditors review on a regular basis. Fellow users and Community members can also vote for it as well.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Vickie Wesolowski
    Vickie Wesolowski Member Posts: 31

Will do - thanks for the prompt response Rav.