How to permanently align columns on reports?

Options
Gemma
Gemma Member Posts: 60
edited October 2020 in Accounts Hosted

Is there a preference setting which allows permanent alignment of columns in a report on screen so that they are all aligning one way e.g. align left all the time?

If I run a Tax Summary Report for example, the summary data aligns left and then the Total data aligns right.

The same issue occurs when I run other similar reports, e.g. P&L by Job.

Non-uniform alignment makes it really difficult to read on screen and follow which data belongs to what.

I also want a permanent solution; not one where I have to manually adjust the columns every time I run a report.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,293 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert
    Options

Did you memorise the report with the desired settings?

• Gemma
    Options

Hi Kris

No I didn't but not every report is a report that I want to memorise.

I just want to be able to run any report, ad hoc, with the columns aligned already.

• Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,293 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert
    Options

have never seen any settings that will do that

• Bruce
    Bruce Member Posts: 441 Professional Partner Professional Partner
    Options

Gemma

I think the default is that numbers always align to the right and text always aligns to the left. This makes sense to me as it reflects how we read text and always keeps number aligned to the decimal point

• Gemma
    Options

Understand, but numbers are aligning both left and right.

• Gemma
    Options

This is a very simple example. In a bigger report, this gets even messier to view.

• Kris_Williams
    Options

I’m missing something here but I can’t see what you’re trying to do, it looks ok to me

• Bruce
    Options

At the risk of being pedantic think I that this is an example of "sub-columns" and "total columns". It so happens that this report, the Tax Summary Report, happens to have only one "sub-column". Off the top of my head it is the report that has just one "sub-column" so perhaps it is a poor example.

The notion of having the sub-columns "misaligned" makes more sense when looking at the following sample which I have extracted from a P&L

• Gemma
    Options

Thank you Bruce, yes, you are correct. The issue is subtotals and totals misaligned. It drives me crazy. Any way to adjust it?

• Kris_Williams
    Options

Thanks Bruce now I understand the question. That is why I would memorise as many reports as possible after aligning columns to my liking

• Bruce
    Options

Gemma, I'm not aware of how to adjust the alignment of sub-columns. I must admit I don't usually see this a problem as it reflects the way I was taught to do things back in the dark ages when reports were produced with pen & paper!

(Although I do agree that is is pain for the Tax Summary report where there only ever appears to be one sub column. Perhaps it would read better if Reckon re-designed this to print the headings vertically rather than horizontally)

• Kris_Williams
    Options

Memorise tax summary report