Unable to install QB7.4 to update an old QB 7.3 file

Kris_Williams
Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,272 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert
edited October 2020 in Accounts Hosted

I have QB 7.3 on my old computer and it is registered but when I try to install QB7.4, which I believe is the only way to do it, it can’t find my registered version 7.3

Would be very grateful for some assistance

my goal is to convert the file to upload to a new Reckon Hosted subscription

Comments

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,204 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert
    edited October 2020

I think you have to do it with windows XP, i bought a computer just for this purpose.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

Email: gwinter0808@gmail.com

• PhuongDo
    PhuongDo Reckon Developer Partner Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

You can create a virtual machine and download/install Windows XP there, no need to buy a computer.

Phuong Do / Reckon Developer Partner

phuong@cactussoftware.com.au

• Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,272 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert

I have a computer with Windows XP, installed and registered QB V7.3, tried to Install QB 7.4 update but it still can’t find the registered version of 7.3

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,204 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert

You can pickup XP machines for $50 been a while since i have done one, sorry Kris

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

Email: gwinter0808@gmail.com

• Kris_Williams

I managed to install qb4 and open the file and rebuilt data, but opening it in the next version, 2002 or 2005/06 results in a file damaged message

• Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,039 Reckon Staff

Hi Kris,

When you have opened the file in QuickBooks V7.4, and performed the Verify and Rebuild data operation, is there anything showing up in the QBWIN.LOG?

When you have opened the file in QuickBooks 2002, and encountered the error message, is anything showing up in the QBWIN.LOG?

Submit a service request so we can take a look and we will send you additional instructions for how to send us the data file and the QBWIN.LOG files.

• Kris_Williams

I’m sorry I forgot to post that I managed to fight my way through this and got there after 5 hours. V8.1, then 2002, then 2006-7.

once I got to 8.1 a rebuild told me there was a problem with the credit memo template. Nothing was easy and simple but I did get there eventually

the file has had a couple of error messages and shutdowns in Hosted but so far a rebuild has fixed it, but if it happens again I will ring technical support

Thank you for your reply

• Datarec_ReckonLtd

Hi Kris,

Thanks for letting us know.

Keep a record of what actions were being performed when you encounter these errors as that can assist in the troubleshooting process.

If you can perform also the Verify Data operation and check the resulting QBWIN.LOG that could give further clues.

• Kris_Williams

I looked at the qbwin.log from when I used 8.1 and it does have a problem which I don’t think the rebuild has fixed. If I verify the file now in Hosted it says it can’t verify, I do a rebuild and then verify and all good. But this has happened a few times. Any suggestions?

• Datarec_ReckonLtd

Hi Kris,

The QBWIN.LOG you provided is one that came from your computer, not the one from Hosted.

You can verify the file in Hosted and get the resulting log file.

Alternatively, recommend you download the file from Hosted and open it in the Reckon Accounts Enterprise 2020 R2 application and perform the Verify and Rebuild operation there.

• Kris_Williams

Ok I’ll do that thank you.

Yes I did know that was the 8.1 file.

• Kris_Williams

I downloaded the file and rebuilt data in Enterprise and uploaded a week ago. Today when the client pressed backup, she received this error message.

‘I just logged on and backed up and rebuilt, then verify with no issues. What to do next?

• Datarec_ReckonLtd

Hi Kris,

You need to be able to provide the QBWIN.LOG that results from the Verify Data/Rebuild Data process, whether you do it on the Hosted platform or done locally on an Reckon Accounts Enterprise software.

We recommend that you use the Enterprise desktop software as that has a more verbose QBWIN.LOG.

• Kris_Williams

Ok I’ll do it again, thanks

• Kris_Williams

So how many times did you download, rebuild and upload before it stopped giving an error?

• Kris_Williams

i verified data again today and established, via the log file, that the problem is with an additional Australian Taxation Office supplier. It has not been used in any transactions as Aust Tax office is the one that is used and setup in preferences. However when I try to delete it it says it can’t because it’s used in a payroll item in the Payable To field.

‘the only pay item with that name field was for PAYG, I changed it to the default tax agency but still the same message. I closed file and reopened, verified data and backed up no problem but I have done that before only for it to pop up again at a later time when trying to verify and backup

• Kris_Williams

Rav can you please look into this for me?

• Kris_Williams

I did manage to get through to Reckon Hosted level thanks and we are using the file. My current problem relates to an error in the file when verifying and a duplicate supplier - Australian Tax Office

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited October 2020

Hi @Kris_Williams, apologies for not getting back to you, I wasn't in yesterday. Let me check in with our support team on that supplier scenario you've posted.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Datarec_ReckonLtd

Hi Kris,

Export the Payroll Item List to an IIF file.

Open that IIF file to edit the supplier name "Australian Tax Office" that is assigned to the PAYG or other payroll item

Import that modified IIF file back into your QBW file

Resort the Item List

Perform a Rebuild Data operation

Perform a Verify Data operation to confirm no further errors are detected.

• Kris_Williams

The supplier I am having trouble with is not the tax agency I use, it is a duplicate one with an abbreviated name Aust Tax Office, should I still do the above procedure?

• Datarec_ReckonLtd

In the Payroll item IIF that you export, change the tax agency name that that is assigned to the PAYG item, to the correct tax agency supplier name that you are using.